Finding out you are allergic to something in a survival situation

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by Damorale, May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have no known allergies that cause the serious allergic reactions like suffocation and things, but I know that you can become allergic to things you have consumed or touched for your entire life, and also that there are things in the world that you haven't eaten or touched before but might be in a position of needing to eat and touch in a survival situation. I'm not sure about other countries, but here it is very difficult to obtain medicine such as an epi-pen if you don't have the diagnosed illness associated.

However I feel that to be prepared for absolutely anything, a good first aid kit should surely contain an epi-pen whether you have any known allergies or not. What do you think?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    personally, growing up I never had any allergies or knew anyone who did, this seems to be a modern thing.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Man, I can't image how much that would suck. It's the end of the world, and you go into anaphlyactic shock from eating something growing off a bush... An epi-pen would certainly come in handy; but I hope you'd have a vast supply of them stashed away. Especially if you're introduced to conditions often that might trigger an attack. I don't know much about epi-pens, as I've never had a need for one (though I used to be horrendously allergic to almost everything), but I'd also be weary of the expiration date if they have one.

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    more importantly is to have the knowledge to know what your eating, now that's a skill that could save your life.

5. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Definitely but you can develop new food intolerances and allergies at any stage in life. Also depending on the situation, you might be left with no choice but to eat something you haven't tried before, surely.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    wrong, if you don't know what your eating don't eat it, not everything is edible, some of it is highly toxic.

7. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't have an allergy that I am aware of, sadly. But for sure it doesn't mean that I have a good immune system, maybe I haven't just eaten or tried that many food or anything edible. I can't even imagine if I am out in the wilderness trying to survive and suddenly I got an allergy and I don't know what to do. -_-