First Aid for mosquito bites?

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    For those like me who is apparently a huge magnet for mosquitoes (I honestly don't know why), what is a quick remedy for these bites, and how can you repel them? My instructor said to bathe in part vinegar oil, but it definitely didn't help a bit. Mosquito bites, especially when you are out in the mountains, are extremely itchy and painful, and all you have is alcohol to numb the irritation a bit. What do you guys do?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am the same, I hate mossies. Not so bad here in New England, but I lived in the Territory for 10 years & mossies were thick up there. I never did find a solution, I used to sit up all night with a smoky fire made of Buffalo dung drinking rum. IF it was dry season, & IF it was cool enough, then I would cover myself with a blanket. I did use a mossy net a few times, but invariably I would end up with a mossy or two under the net with me!!! You can cover all bare body parts with animal fat or mud, but this is pretty messy.
    Keith.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only mosquito magnet in the world. That is my chief concern when I am in the woods especially the mosquitoes in the wild are really wild and hungry for blood. In those cases, I always have my vaporub with me to counter the itchy effect of mosquito bite. It's not good to be scratching all the time because it can cause skin rashes. And I also bring insect repellent (OFF brand) that is quite sticky to the skin but effective in driving away the mosquitoes. Would you believe that I also use OFF lotion at home when a straggler mosquit0 is able to get inside because for sure I would be the main target.

When you are in the woods and out of medication, wipe your skin with vinegar, that will somehow pacify the venom of the mosquito bite so it will not be very itchy as to be scratched.

acheno84 and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the vinegar tip Corzhens, I must try this next time.
    Keith.

5. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    What you all can try as this is a military trick we were taught a long time ago if you are in the bush. Try eating large amounts of raw garlic. The smell will repel most types of insects including mosquito's. Do a quick search on google and you will see that for the most part it will help. Mud would be the next alternative, but sleeping in a clean sleeping bag and covered in mud isn't ideal.

6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Mozzies!
    They are weak flyers!
    In the heat I sleep under a decent breeze! you keep cool and the mozzies cant home in on you or control there flight!

7. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I am also a mosquito magnet. I set out to do some research on the reason behind it. Mosquitoes are attracted by the lactic acid on the skin surface as well as emissions of carbon dioxide to trace where you are. There are mosquito repellent jellies which are quite effective in repelling them. A dosage of potent malarial medication is recommended to prevent infection.

8. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Fortunately most mosquito bites are harmless but you also have to keep an eye out for symptoms of the diseases that they can transmit. They can pass on malaria, dengue fever and meningitis. So if you've been bitten by a mosquito, you should monitor yourself for any worrying symptoms such as fever, confusion, light sensitivity, etc.

You should probably wash the area as soon as you notice you have been bitten anyway, and people who are particularly sensitive to them or seem to attract a lot of bites might find it handy to carry around anti-itch lotion, like the calamine lotion you give to kids when they have chicken pox. You can also rub anti-perspirant (the roll on or bar type) on the affected area because it can stop the pain and itching.

Some other methods I've heard of include rubbing the area with the inside of a banana peel. And it's also suggested that people who take Vitamin B1 supplements are less likely to be bitten, though I don't know exactly how reliable that is. You should probably also avoid areas with standing water as that's where mosquitoes lay their eggs.

9. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    You're not alone; they flock to me too. They bite me through my clothes, so even in a hoodie I'm not protected. I literally just read a few days ago that Vaporub helps with the itch. Who would have thought? I read some instructions as well on how to make a menthol candle that will keep them away, but clearly I was using the wrong type of wick because the whole string just melted, leaving me with a candle holder full of the greasy medication.

I live in Florida, so they're all over the place. Since it's been raining like crazy lately, my entire yard is flooded, thus becoming a breeding ground for them. I definitely don't see myself going outside unless I'm covered in Off!

Corzhens likes this.
  10. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I can't say how truthful it is, but I've heard some remedies over the years. One is to rub spit on the bites. I always forget to try it when I have a mosquito bite, but it's free to try. If you do try it let me know how it works!