Fishing bait

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by Lisa, Jun 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    What kind of bait do you use for fishing? Also if resources were low what do you think would be the most effective bait to use without cutting into supplies?

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  2. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    Well, as long as you can find worms in the earth and sand, you can use those. It won't get you particularly big fish but at least worms are the last thing I would eat. I think there's other kinds of bugs we can use too, that can be found on the inside of tree barks.

3. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Maybe letting a small amount of meat go bad and then collecting the maggots could work, also sweetcorn would be quite useful it you had a stock of it.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have used insects, one time I caught a trout with a bush cockroach. You can use bread (which you can make from pollen etc), & you can use meat for catfish. The meat can be from game or it can be from birds killed for the purpose. Frogs & lizards can be used & are easily come-by. Worms have already been mentioned. Don't forget fish traps in streams & creeks that do not require baiting. Also of course spear & bow fishing.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    Spear fishing by torch light at night, the fire attracts the fish. The same method can be used from boat or canoe to hunt game on the river bank. The fire attracts their attention for long enough to take the shot.

Lisa likes this.
  5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Any insect worms minnows maggots meal worms all most anything can be used as bait worms and night rawlers work great for alot of fresh water fish

6. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Brilliant post, this is really informative. My partner has been teaching me to fish and we have used bread before, also he makes a cheese paste. I was wondering @Keith H. how do you make bread from pollen?

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    when we didn't have anything else we used to use limpets, knocked off nearby rocks by using a large stone.

8. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Anything that you can't eat. If you can catch some animal that you for some reason can't eat or even find a dead one, you could use pieces of it as bait.

As bird can be easy to catch, trap one or two, use their entrails as bait and eat everything else.

In Fiji some fishermen use feathers as bait so I suppose in a survival situation if you can find feathers, you can use them same way the Fiji fishermen do.

lonewolf likes this.
  9. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well I mostly used worms, minnows, and nightcrawlers before. They're pretty easy to find, and they're live bait, so they tend to catch fish easier. I also had a multitude of lores at my disposal. Overall, I think worms are the best fish bait you can really ask for. They're all around, because they're in dirt. They're always live, which does tend to attract more fish. Add on top of that they're just generally efficient. You can cut them to the size you need to be, an they'll still be alive. The squirming really does attract fish though, can't over-state that.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any experience with fishing except in feeding the fish in the park's fish pond. There is a stall that sells fish food that we can give to the fish. But from what I gathered, my husband and his siblings used to catch fish in their old home which was surrounded by water spinach farm that is also a shallow fish pond. Their main bait is earthworms which they also use to bait the birds in the trap. But the earthworms are good only when it is fresh. So what they do is to dig the ground for earthworms which they keep in a small container, still alive. They only kill the earthworm when they actually use it for bait. He said that fish bites immediately when the earthworm is still moving.

11. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    In pertaining to Hawaii sea water fish, we tend to use live bait. A smaller live fish that is hooked on to your line is what seems to be the best choice as the bigger predator fishes natural instincts tells it to hunt. Seeing a small fish swimming around in open waters and not in the coral reef is hard for any predator to pass up. You can use other bait that others have mentioned as well. But the swimming motion and the open wound of a small fish is more attractive.

12. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My grandfather sells fishing bait. He has exotic types of worms like meal worms, wax worms, butter worms, ect, imported. But he catches his own night crawlers. Also we use minnows to fish with too. Lures can be used, but from my experience they don't work as well.

13. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I see someone already mentioned worms. I have seen locals take kernels of soft worn and color them with red food coloring for bait. From where I sat, they were having good luck with it.

14. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I always used sand eels, if we caught a fish we didn't want instead of throwing it back we'd use that for bait instead.

15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Basically in a survival situation where you only have basic minimal gear you need to start small and work up. I carry some real small hooks and if nothing else can make a fly with the white 7 small strands of cord inside paracord. I've made flies with that stuff and also with my own hair and had success with both. Little fish aren't very hard to interest and catch and yes they will come and check out even spit. You can even use dung to catch the little ones. Once you have a little one you can move to a bigger hook, heavier line an use either the whole little fish for bait or cut it up for bait. Put out a few throw lines and limb lines then go back to fishing for the little ones; you can eat them too. Build a fire and as you catch them you can eat them or make a soup with them and whatever else you can gather.

Nearly anything can be used as bait. A modern fishing lure in its basic form is just a whittled stick with a hook attached or flies are just a hook with a little something tied to it. Anything that you can eat a fish will eat. Anything that you catch to eat you can use the parts you don't eat as bait. Guts are especially attractive to catfish as are liver and hearts. All bugs and worms are great bait. In the woods keep your eyes open for feathers they will work if you tie little pieces of them to a hook.

Fishing is good for you. It doesn't burn up a lot of energy, it allows you to relax and think. If you build a fire and cook while you fish you can boil water for drinking and will find that there is a lot of potential food sources along the shore. I carry a pill bottle with just the basics with me all the time and often will kill some time fishing when I have nothing pressing to do. It is fun AND good experience to see just what you can find and do with just hooks line and sinker.

16. TsuyoyRival

TsuyoyRival New Member
      9/29

Blog Posts:
    My grandfather always said that a good bait for fish was other fish, for example, small chunks of sardine. I used it a lot for catching fish, shrimps and even crabs. About worms, i can't really say it's efficiency, but its knowledge widely spread.

17. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The best bait for fishing is the grubs/insects that exist in that area you are fishing in.
    Keith.

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    To some extent the "best" bait is dependent on a lot of different factors. The times of year, the type of water the species of fish and mostly the skill and experience of the fisherman (fisherperson?).

For most predatory species I can usually catch a lot more fish with artificial lures and baits than with natural ones. The reason for this is that with bait you are feeding only hungry fish and dependent on them to find your bait. With lures I can catch fish that aren't hungry or biting. If you know how you can trigger them into biting or often aggravate them into a bite when other wise they would just sit there and look at your bait with no interest.
    Some fish don't seem to have any interest in lures. Catfish feed more by smell/taste than sight and the things that I know about trout you could write between these two lines||. With bass, Crappie and bluegills though I will out catch natural baits just about every time.

Include a few jig heads and small grubs, a few flys and maybe a small spoon in your kit. If nothing else you can use them to catch something that you can then use for cut bait.

19. Blackfish

Blackfish Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    Fish love ZOTE Soap! Not kidding. It works!

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you can't find Zote, Ivory Soap works too. Living in Texas, Zote soap is in most of the stores but in other places it is a no show. Zote and Ivory work because they are made purely in the old way. Animal fat and lye with little else. When it melts in the water it releases the smell/taste of that fat and that in turn makes some fish, catfish especially, interested in eating it. It is best used on set lines and trot lines and not on rod and reel because it needs to be there for a while before it starts to work. I've never had much success with it on a fishing pole.

Lures have a learning curve. At first they don't seem to work as well as fresh bait, if you don't have someone teaching you it seems like you don't catch anything, but as you learn how to work them and the habits of your target fish they will generally out perform bait on most predatory fish.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  21. Richard Earley

Richard Earley Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    Try a cast net..

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A cast net is great for catching bait and small fish in shallow water. You will on occasion get something larger but mostly minnow, shad and small perch. You can eat some of them and then use the rest for bait for bigger fish. I especially like to make and use limb and throw lines with these little fish for bait. The nice thing about these is that all you need for limb and throw lines are hooks and cord. You can find and use rocks for weights. The nice thing about these is that they will work for you 24 hours a day. If you have access to a boat you can set out trotlines and use jugs for catching a LOT of fish. Even one well placed and run line can feed a family pretty consistently. There are a lot of different nets that can be used to good effect. I have several cast nets in different sizes, seines, and gill nets. Where I live there is a lot of water and I fish a LOT so that plays a big part in my plans.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Prefer fishing with nets and traps. If I'm using hooks it depends on the time of year as to what bait I'm using. Winter, Spring and early Summer I use live bait (usually minnows, crayfish, leeches, mice or chipmunk quarters) or Ivory soap cubes in the spring for blue cats. Late Spring, Summer and early Fall I prefer worms (mostly red wigglers), hellgrammites, frogs, salamanders, stink bait (for catfish) or artificial's. Catalpa worms are also good.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hoop net traps are great. One of the sure signs of how good a method is is how many places make it illegal to use. Unfortunately, traps are illegal in Texas as are gill nets, and cast nets over 7' in radius. I used to have an old telephone generator that was good for calling up catfish. I try to be legal but if you want to know how to always come home with meat a poacher whether of animals or fish is the best teacher out there. I learned a lot from my brother in law when he wasn't in jail.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Dalewick
      I grew up learning methods from both sides. LOL! Illegal always put more food on the table. Our laws were created to encourage sport fishing and hunting and prohibit market hunting and fishing. Oddly enough, the government still allows itself many hunting and trapping methods that are illegal to it's citizens for animal damage control.

Dalewick, Mar 25, 2020
  25. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I remember reading this book years ago and found it very interesting .

Much of what Texdanm describes about how efficient a harvesting method it and it's relationship to legal and illegal is in there if one reads well...

Survival Poaching...

By Ragnar Benson...

https://www.amazon.com/Survival-Poaching-Ragnar-Benson/dp/0873641833

Enjoy....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nearly all fish and game laws are written to limit the harvest so all the most effective methods are outlawed. I love to go to stores in different states as I travel and get that state's fish and game pamphlet. The differences state by state are amazing at times. Nowadays in Texas many of the fishing laws are designed to make money more than any serious concern for the fish. Evidently the tournament fishermen put more money in their pockets than the poor guy trying to catch supper so the laws tend to make that nearly impossible for most people. The cost of licenses has gone past the point that a poor person can easily afford it.

27. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I like to use live bait, I still have my minnow trap it works great just put some bread in and place it in several feet of water where the minnow hang out. fcc2434ab4fcdbf21009ca6c74c48e77.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.