For The Survival Homestead. Something to consider.

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by Keith H., Jul 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    For The Survival Homestead. Something to consider.

Many of the old crafts & skills have been forgotten, & for the most part are only used in 18th century Living History. Skills such as spinning & weaving are often restricted to use in special interest groups & few ordinary common people posses the skills of a tailor or dressmaker. Yet in a long term survival situation, these are the very crafts & skills that will be required if society is not to sink to the level of stone age living.

Modern technology is good providing it is sustainable or renewable. Modern medicine is seen as being indispensable, but even this technology will not last for ever in a long term survival situation. Traditional remedies & herbal medicines may yet save the day, IF we have that knowledge!

The modern homestead has many electrical & motorised items to help with the day to day work, both in the kitchen & outside. But in a long term survival situation, these items may no longer be of any use, unless you are already off the grid using alternate power or have a means of converting modern equipment to manual operation. Here then are some items you may not have but may be useful post SHTF.

· Felling axes.

· Half axe.

· Hatchet or tomahawk.

· Scythe.

· Sickle.

· Sledge hammer.

· Picket driver.

· Post hole shovel.

· Mattock.

· Pickaxe.

· Crosscut saw.

· Block buster.

· Fencing wire & strainers.

· Fencing pliers.

· Horse hoof rasp for making stails & helves.

· A good supply of nails in a variety of sizes.

· A good supply of various tools for metalworking & woodworking.

· Basic leatherworking tools, nothing fancy. Linen thread, awl, scissors, knife, palm pad (which you can make).

· Spinning wheel.

· Table loom.

· Inkle loom.

· Butcher & skinning knives.

· A good whetstone.

· A grinding stone.

· A bench vice or post vice.

· An anvil or a piece of railway rail.

· Any blacksmithing tools you can get your hands on.

. Mortar & Pestle.

. Glass & or ceramic cooking vessels.

Useful Skills.

· Spinning.

· Weaving.

· Tailoring/Dressmaking.

· Metalworking.

· Blacksmithing.

· Carpentry.

· Stail & helve making.

· Sewing.

· Knitting.

· Button making.

· Making cordage.

· Gardening.

· Hide tanning/Brain tanning.

. Knowledge of herbal medicine & production.

Can you think of any I have missed? (equipment or skills).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Prairie Dog likes this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have all those skills preserved in books! both paper and electronic.
    2 terra bytes worth!

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    This is a excellent post !!! Too many today have no skills. It is too easy to go to store or have someelse do every day things id add bread makeing and preserveing food is all

4. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I would add a couple good jack alls. That is the most complete and well thought through list I have come across. It also added a few things to the "keep an eye out for" list.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good idea, we have a "Wallaby Jack", & we also have a winch.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    Wallaby Jack.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Prairie Dog likes this.
  6. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Thats the critter, in Canada we call those "jack all's" cuz the do lol

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    Keith.

8. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    More of a human interest as to what has been going on our survival grounds over the last few days . Today my daughter whom lives only a few hundred yard from my home , got her last " rabi shot " today after a bout with a bat invasion in her home . She thinks in the disagreement between her and the bats one may have bit her on the foot so as a precaution went through a series of rabi shots .
    She never had the urge to bite anybody . --- A 3 to 4 foot snake came into my house about 3 days ago . I saw it wasn't poisonous so I tossed it back out the door . The next day my son whom lives a few hundred yards away found it hanging under the roof of his front porch . He didn't like it either , so he did like I did and tossed it off the porch . The last account we had of the snake it was going on down the hill toward a neighbors house . --- Last night while in my outdoor shower , I had a tarantella on the shower floor but it didn't like the water , so left . Rural living I suppose is something some people are not up for .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    We had bats here some years ago but havent seen any recently, there is only one poisonous snake in the UK The Adder and unless your poking about where you shouldnt be its unlikely you will see one, they will slither off long before any human gets near them although I have found shedded snake skin a time or two.
    we get rats here now and again, I will tolerate a solo rat but once they bring the family around the poison bait goes out, currently we are clear of rats.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I've seen many grass snakes when woodland camping but only a quick glimpse of a Adder (although I've found skins). Rats are a universal pest, found wherever people are. In Spain cockroaches are a problem in the towns and cities. I had ants in the brand new kitchen in Spain, millions of them one morning but I set out four bait stations and that stopped them in a couple of days; my builder said the nest could have been here for years and the construction work disturbed them.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Up in the mountains, timber rattlers are to be avoided. Working Forestry Service, had to blaze a horse-trail through a mountain area called Rattlesnake Ridge. Didn't see a single one. That summer, only two crews ran into poisonous snakes -- one copperhead (which are all over creation in Southern Appalachia) and one timber rattler (not my crew). They chopped their heads off; which means the only ones I saw were dead.

What I'm most afraid of running into is a water moccasin, because they'll come after you. They can come at you fast. They come at you like a side-winder -- this, for speed. A coworker (not Forestry, regular industry) had a moccasin come at him. Moccasins love wetlands in hot climates. We have some here. Never encountered one myself.

Friend of mine who lived in a very out-of-the-way place up in the mountains carried a snub-nose .38 loaded with bird shot when out in the woods. This was for snakes.

Carry a walking stick. Stepping over a log, use the walking stick first to test the other side of that log. Climbing rocks? First use a tool to test the rocks above you -- DO NOT just reach up there, else you might "interface" with a pit viper ... or it with you. Most all folks who've gotten bitten by a rattler NEVER heard the rattler.

The desert SouthWest of America is full of rattlesnakes. Wetlands / deep South are full of water moccasins. SouthEast mountains are full of copperheads.

"Snake-Charmer" .410 shotgun:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=snake-charmer+shotgun&t=newext&atb=v320-1&iax=images&ia=images

upload_2022-7-14_1-47-5.png
    -----------
    Folding stock snake gun
    upload_2022-7-14_1-49-6.png

.45 / .410 Derringer

[​IMG]

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A couple of our dogs once got a'hold of a rabid bat. Had the bat tested. It was "hot", the lab folk said; meaning, very rabid. Dogs had been vaccinated. Chained the dogs up for a few weeks. They were OK.

In America's SouthWest, you gotta look out for scorpions. When a girl, my wife was living in Texas. One place her family lived had a scorpion problem. She couldn't go barefoot around the house.

Something I forgot about in the above post is that copperheads REALLY like living in woodpiles.

Timber rattlers will get into blackberry and blueberry stands of bushes up in the mountains. As I've said a'many'a'time, birds like to eat berries and rattlers like to eat birds. When picking blackberries and blueberries, take your walking stick and stick it all through the berry bushes before you stick your hand in there. You can use your left hand to do this and keep your gun in your right hand.

Snakes really like mountain streams. They'll warm-up on river rocks (being cold-blooded). Along streams, birds alight there to wash-off, drink, and catch bugs to eat, thus the snakes wait there for them. Keep this in mind when wandering along a stream.

Tell you the god's-honest truth, running into hornets' nests, yellow jackets' nests, are the most likely unhappy (very unhappy) events you're most likely to run into up in the mountains. When walking through the woods -- especially downhill -- never slow your speed by hitting a small tree with your hand. Don't run into a small tree to slow yourself. A bees' nest up in that tree will send their troops down to sting the hell out of you.

Wear long pants for nasty insects/ticks -- use DEET. For snake protection, wear high-top boots / linesman boots if you know you'll be traipsing about in known pit-viper areas. Just sayin'. Lord knows that I've spent lord-only-knows how many a day out in the woods, yet I've killed precious few snakes. Lucky me. But having said that, gosh, do be careful. Me, I just figure that the vipers are out there ... and they are. "Better safe than sorry."

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.