Fridge Storage

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by iamawriter, May 31, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    It is from experience I have realised that it is better to have two small fridges than a single one with more capacity.
    If one fridge is not in working order stuff can be transferred to the other. I remember those days when we had a big fridge and how we had to boil whatever we could and ask the neighbours to accommodate us for a while, when it went out of order. This is the last thing we ever felt happy about.

We now have two fridges and are no longer worried.

How do you cope in such a situation?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Well in a survival situation two fridges (even one!) wouldn't be really confortable to bring around, and you would better stick with foods that doesn't need a fridge. At home... honestly I never saw or heard of someone with two fridges. A broken fridge can happen (and I have experienced it) but it's not that common. Maybe the best idea would be to not put too much stuff in the fridge. Just the bare necessities.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a survival situation where the power goes down and stays down, whether one has 1 fridge or 2 wont matter 1 iota, the stuff in it will go bad and be unusable, non frozen food is the way to go for emergency use, canned, dried or pickled.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We lived an 18th century lifestyle for over 20 years. In winter we used ice, in summer we used a coolgardie safe. We dried what meat could not be eaten in a single sitting.
    Keith.

5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You have lost me, what has this to do with the price of eggs?
    Keith.

7. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I am aware that when power goes out both fridges will be out of commission - I have that much common sense (I cannot find a suitable smilie to place here) !! There are other situations when two fridgesbecome necessary. Fridges going out of order is one such situation apart from ofcourse to take care of food if there is surplus available.

8. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I am aware that when power goes out both fridges will be out of commission - I have that much common sense (I cannot find a suitable smilie to place here) !! There are other situations when two fridges would save situations. Fridges going out of order is one such situation apart from ofcourse to take care of food if there is surplus available.
    I do not get you. I have not said anything about price of eggs. Where did you get that from?

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i have a fridge/freezer and another freezer, but these will be useless post shtf, I fail to see your point.
    Keiths remark about the price of eggs is an old English saying, probably an Australian one too, it means whats your point?

10. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Well I have several fridges and several solar panels, inverters and batteries So I am in control of my own refrigeration!:)