Gear for Starting Fires

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    upload_2016-1-21_20-40-54.png
    When out in the middle of the wilderness having a fire is important. There are some tools you can bring with you to assist with building your fire. A flint and steel or a butane lighter works best and is easy to carry around and store. Some survival knives also come with a built-in flint and steel that is very convenient. You could also use waterproof matches, but they may not always work. If you don't have any of these modern ways to start a fire, you can always do it the old fashion way with a bow drill. A quick tutorial on the Internet will show you exactly how to make this simple tool. Another way to ensure that you succeed in starting a fire is having good starter stuff as kindling to start the fire with. Bird's nest, bark fibers, and some trees saps can be used as a sort of fire starter. Good kindling would include small dry twigs and little branches that might still have dead leaves on them. A good place to look for wood is in the bottom of the wood pile where the wood is certainly dry. If the ground is wet or covered in snow, you might want to clear a spot that is a little bit drier to start your fire on. At first, you want to use smaller sticks to build a fire and then you can put bigger logs on the fire for extra warmth.

peggy herman likes this.
  2. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    I was taught to ALWAYS have 3 ways to start a fire on your person. That's why my gear keeps: matches, firesteel and a pair of cigarette lighters in it. I also keep a small amount of fire starting fuel too. In other words, I keep fuel tabs, cotton balls soaked with Vaseline on them and/or dryer lint as well. What I do is locate dry tinder (old, dry leaves) small twigs to start the fire, small wood sticks and then a dry spot to begin the fire. I place the tinder down low under the small wood sticks and then place the starter fuel, a small amount of it, against the tinder. Next I light the starter fuel with a match, lighter or firesteel. I nurse the fire to get it going and then slowly increase the size of the sticks I am using for fuel. Depending on my conditions, I may keep my fire low and below ground level or I may have a nice roaring fire. Got to have hot water for the coffee and tea.