Going in getting out easy

Discussion in 'Community Sharing CSA Ideas' started by Tom Williams, Mar 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    These days there are so many things out there to use to keep from getting lost going into unkown place easy way to stay safe MARK YOUR TRAIL IN !!! Then getting out is easy i like the thumbtack glow in the dark push pins you place into tree hit with flashlight they glow allso place a piece of blaze colored plastic on pin you see that in daylight there are many ways to mark a trail think on it not hard

sunnytn and Keith H. like this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Mark your trail as high as you can and keep all marks at the same height!
    Few people do much more than glance much above head height!
    Just about everyone scans intently only from head height to the floor
    Above head height is scanned but quickly and with little intensity!
    We use a small axe cut or a marking pen to draw a small circle with a gap in it to indicate direction
    always just above head height and we always add some extra cuts/marks below as a decoy/diversion.
    We use blue crayon at the moment, soon to change as under torchlight the colour gets iffy.

AggieSigGuy and BeautifullyBree like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess the only problem with marking one's trail is that other people can also follow you. I have however marked a couple of trails in my own forest. I mostly follow game trails, but of course they criss-cross each other all over the forest, & without marking it is easy to get side-tracked when you are trying to reach a specific place. Mostly I just mark the tree bark with my tomahawk, but new trails used for getting firewood out are marked with either strips of old cloth or surveyors tape.
    Another method I have used in the past in unfamiliar country is to follow a water course, but you have to be careful if you ever cross over to the other side, branches of a creek for instance when returning can take you in the wrong direction! I learnt the hard way!!!
    Good post Tom.
    Keith.

4. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    It does concern me that someone might follow me if I marked my trail. You never know what kind of enemies may be in your future. I'm not good with a compass or directions really. I will admit marking my trails seems more up my alley.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Never mark trail into camp if trailing wounded game into unkown area mark trail in so out becomes easy

6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Obviously the only time you would mark your trail would be when you expected to return, OR if you were expecting a friend to follow. In the latter case your friend can remove the markers.

Being prepared for an intruder is very important, this is NOT dependent on you marking or leaving a trail. Predators are out there regardless, so make sure you are armed & able to defend yourself.

Two things that may help, 1) ALWAYS look behind you frequently, a trail will look completely different seen from only one direction. You need to know what it will look like when you are coming back out. 2) You can use markers that only you recognise. Instead of blazing trees, use rocks or sticks. Not in such a manner as anyone will notice like sticks in assembled in the shape of an arrow, or rocks in the same configuration or in a line. But a rock placed at the base of a tree, or a stick placed in such a manner that is obvious to you but no one else.
    A good way to find your way in & out without leaving any sign is to follow a creek or a game trail. Game trails though will branch, so you would need to mark the branch NOT to follow coming back.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    A game trail in the forest.

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  7. Vash

Vash Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Good trackers can follow your trial without you (intentionally) marking anything. Unless you swing from tree to tree, there has to be some kind of marks you left behind. Even if the ground is fairly hard not to leave footprints, there has to be something such as broken branches, dropped grass, dirt on rocks, etc. It is impossible to cover your track 100%. Not to mention what if someone is using a dog or other animals to track you?

It is the same for the opposite. If you are a good tracker, you can always backtrack your own trial to go back to where you were from.

Come to think about it, animals can back track better than us. They use the smell to track. If you have a dog or horse or other animals with you, they are capable of guide you out of there on their own. Then again, you still need to try to remember the routes just in case.

If you have a compress, I believe it is hard to get lost. At least you know the general direction. Even without a compress, under most circumstances you can figure out the north or south by looking at the plants, mushrooms, algae, etc.

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I doubt very much that the predators we are concerned with here are ones that posses these skills. My moccasin tracks are very hard to spot on a forest game trail even by me. Predators I think are more likely to be looking for tents & camp fires & listening for noise & voices. Yes there are signs of passing as you say like broken bushes & sticks, but these are just as likely to have been caused by other animals other than humans. Clear modern boot prints are about the only sign that could be found that would warrant following, & even then one would have to consider the age of the print & like I said, not many people have this skill.
    Even so, in some places such clear prints may invite someone to follow, so the word is, wear moccasins & tread lightly :)
    Keith.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if someone is intent on tracking or following me then they are probably a better tracker than I am-which isn't really saying much.
    when travelling I hardly ever come back the same way I went, for a start its boring, seeing the same things coming back that I saw going out-I want to see something different.
    even in normal life, its not wise to use the same route both in and out, you never know who's watching, vary your times too, people could clock your routine if your too regular.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the localization. I'm sure there are other ways of marking a trail without no one following you. For example, you can just leave marked stones in your path, and only YOU will know that those stones are there because it's the path you took. Pretty simple, and i'm sure no one would follow you.

11. Vash

Vash Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I agree it would be boring to go back the exactly same route during traveling. Traveling is for fun. :D
    But sometimes you have no choice in an apocalypse situation. For example: when you have a shelter you intend to stay for a while, and you must go out to search for resources. In order to not get lost and be able to find your way back, it is kind of necessary to leave marks for yourself. Unless you know the area extremely well to be able to go out and come back from any direction without leaving any mark. In that case, if someone want to ambush you, they still can... just wait for you at your shelter. ;)