Gun Tools For A Flintlock.

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools and Weapons' started by Keith H., May 9, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are going to carry a gun into the wilderness & live there for any length of time, then it is probably a good idea to carry some basic tools & spare parts just in case the gun should need repairs. The flintlock muzzle-loader is a pretty hardy tool, & is not likely to break down. But just the same it is probably wise to make sure that you can make repairs if needs be.
    [​IMG]
    The lock on a flintlock is pretty simple & easy to repair, which makes it ideal for long term wilderness living. The cock can be seen on the left which has a piece of flint clamped in it's jaws. The steel to the right is also called the hammer. The spring under the hammer is called a feather spring.
    [​IMG]
    These tools I carry in my shot pouch so I can get at them easily at any time. Bottom left is a turnscrew, this can be used to remove the lock from the gun for cleaning, but it is also used to fit the gun flint into the jaws of the cock. Above that is a brass container of tallow for waterproofing the pan on the lock. Center is a screw for removing a stuck ball & below it is a small pin punch for removing the barrel for cleaning. On the right is two spare gun flints & two spare gun flint leathers.
    [​IMG]
    These tools I carry in a cloth bag in the bottom of my knapsack. Top to bottom is a mainspring vise, spare screws, spare lock springs, spare hammer, & a wad punch.
    [​IMG]
    This is called a worm, I hand forged this onto the end of my steel ramrod. It is used to hold tow or cloth for cleaning the bore.

Last edited: May 9, 2016