Hardtack.

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by Keith H., Jan 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  2. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
  3. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    One wonders?
    Can dried fruit be added to hardtack for a bit of flavor and added food value?
    Might dried fruit lessen the time fruit + hardtack will keep well?

Maybe I'll whip up some hardtack and dried raisins.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that adding dried fruit would indeed lessen the time ships biscuit could be kept. We dry our own fruit & vegetables, & it keeps well in a jar in the pantry, but I would not combine the two. I used to like biscuits with dried fruit, & I think that is still a good idea, but in my opinion you are better off using a different biscuit mix if you are adding dried fruit. Ships Biscuit was very hard, & in the 18th century it was very often soaked in a soup or similar to make it edible. I read that it was even eaten dunked in rum. Ships Biscuit is purely a survival food. It was never meant to be tasty.
    Keith.

5. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Kieth.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Trevor Tague

Trevor Tague New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I made some using flour, water, salt, 4 adult multi vitamins dissolved in the water, and added ground flax seed and rolled oats to it, turned out not too bad, still hardtack, but i figure its now fortified and will be a important emeegency ration.

Keith H. likes this.