Haunted By A Deer

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by remnant, Jun 14, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    There is a deer ravaging my sweet potato crop deep in our garden not far from wild bushes and a nearby sites. The animal has made it a nightmare nor me to farm some other crops in the past and I have reason to believe its not alone. I have tried erecting noisy vibrating string around the property since I consider fencing tedious with the possibility of other more cost effective alternatives. Anyone who can proffer their solution which worked?

2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Arrow threw the heart hide the evidence beside a helping of sweet potatoes and corn bread

Mr Boots likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fencing to my knowledge is the most efficient & practicle way to keep wildlife out of your garden. I suggest that if you can't afford to fence the whole garden, that you at least fence off your sweet potato crop. Both our garden areas are fully fenced. The Kangaroo, walleroo & wallabies are the Australian equivalent of your deer, & we have a lot of them.
    Keith.
    agbIuayTBlYo_p311uzAXM2fh7_zPDT4.jpeg

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Big bad dogs!
    If you let them spend time down there where the deer enter and leave the scent alone may keep them at bay!
    or it they are well enough trained to not chase them for hours through the bush you can loose them just after dark!
    A few close calls with savage dogs should get them to move somewhere else!
    or just shoot them!
    If someone objects just tell them that the venison on the table is just a form of crop harvesting with the deer as the middleman between crop and table!:D

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Kill garden pests and eat them. They are on your land. Deer are tall rats that taste good. And kangaroo can be eaten too.

6. StjepantheGrizzly

StjepantheGrizzly New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    There are several ways to solve this problem.
    I think that most legit way is to kill it

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid we had this problem with a 25 acre pea patch. The deer would just come in and eat all the peas. Fencing, unless you want to go over 5 feet high is useless they jump right over anything less. We tried noise makers in the form of carbide cannons. After about a week they got used to them and ignored them. In the end we killed about 25 of them by putting a stand in the middle of the field and shooting them at night. The survivors moved on. We did this legally and most of the meat went to an orphanage.

8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We don't have much of a problem with this, we have had the odd one jump the garden fence but they seemed more interested in the grass than the crops. Haven't had any come in for ages except when someone left the garden gate open!!! I can see two now feeding just outside the fence.
    Keith.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    They are doing better at managing the deer populations here than they used to. Back then it was bucks only so the does were left to breed. This is fine until there are so many deer that they over graze the forest and have to move into urban and farming areas to find food. If you want to control the populations you have to harvest the does. Now it is a much more ballance harvest and other then in a couple of forested subdivisions and the state park their numbers are much better. The state park even allows hunting there for a couple of weeks if the numbers get too high. One of the big subdivisions allows bow hunting on the golf course until 8 am to thin the herds.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    You can try the pee method. just pee all around what ever you want the deer not to touch .
    Bill

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    http://www.deer-departed.com/deer-repellent-recipes.html

These are homemade deer repellents. The pee method does work in some areas but it would take a lot of it to protect a garden. I used to do it to channel deer towards my deer stand by peeing on the other game trails. It seemed to be more effective on the does than the bucks though. I have also read that deer don't like peppermint.

12. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    One old method is to hang up old stockings stuffed with human hair, another is to pee around your boundaries or set up high deer fencing around your plot at great financial cost.....none of these really work as far as I can tell. When deer are determined to get in nothing will stop them. If deer are destroying food crops and you have tried non lethal methods and they've failed then it's time to cull the deer. Even if they're out of season you can still apply for a permit if there are special/extenuating circumstances....

13. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    If you can’t kill them do a bit of research on some plants that will deter them. I can’t think of the name of the plant my old neighbor used to plant around her garden but the deer would walk across her property and bypass her garden.

14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I know a guy that ambushed the deer that were eating his wifes flowers with a paintball gun. If scared the heck out of them and according to him and his son it was so funny and fun that they don't care if it is a permanent fix. His wife on the other hand is ready to put them in the freezer if they don't leave her flowers alone. MEAN lady with no sense of humor!!