Have You Considered This?

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Keith H., Nov 13, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My personal belief is that after shtf, modern technology will soon wear out or run out, then anyone who is not prepared for this will be thrown into a stone age lifestyle. But consider what would happen if you you were prepared for this by equipping & training yourself in 18th century style. In this case your standard of living would not drop below this level.

There are 18th century living history groups worldwide, including the UK. These groups are family oriented, they hold camp-outs & Rendezvous. Their activities can include: Camping & open fire cooking, construction of primitive shelters, historical trekking using only 18th century equipment, period crafts & skills, period living skills & much more. Groups such as Greens Rangers in the UK cover all the above plus training in military tactics & weapons training.

Living History groups & activities are not something that the average person thinks about, many are not even aware it exists. But if you are really serious about survival, & you know that you will have to "Bug-Out" if TSHTF, then you owe it to yourself & your family to consider this Living History training option. These groups & their activities are not only educational, but they are also a lot of fun for ALL the family.

Joining one of these groups is a great way to make friends & meet like minded people. These people, & indeed these groups, stand the very best chance of surviving any shtf situation that you can reasonably be expected to survive.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    sunnytn and Mr Boots like this.
  2. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    With the strict gun laws here there not many doing 18th century living history I do 9th to 10th century Viking living history here and would recommend any living history to help when SHTF our group has blacksmiths, leather workers, carpenters scrimshaws and load of others crafts everything need to build ur life after SHTF and I know from our group (F.L.H.S) and other groups I hav met from all over the world if u want to learn any or all of the crafts and skills they are more than willing to help or train u and u'll be better prepared for when the SHTF

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree, any date pre 19th century but post stone age would supply a comfortable lifestyle. I don't know where you live, but there is no problem with flintlock guns in the UK, Australia or America. Germany hold Rendezvous as do other European countries. Greens Rangers are in the UK.
    Keith.
    gCx17WTlzFo1UU8_7E8FdVLQYAMWatsp.png Greens Rangers UK. Note the flintlock guns.

4. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    I live in west Ireland its hard to get a crossbow licence here or anything with a trigger 10 years ago it was hard to buy a magnesium flint here as magnesium was restricted thanks to our history over the last century if it hasn't bin banned it bin heavy restricted
    it not impossible to get guns here but a lot of paperwork and reasoning to why u want one so not many post 16th century group here

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well you are well set up with the Viking era I am sure, & you should have flint & steel for making fire. No one else there will be as prepared as you are, seeing as they are all in the same boat as far as firearms are concerned.
    Regards, Keith.

Mr Boots likes this.
  6. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    Between the IRA (and all the break away groups) and the drug gangs and it hard to say how many illegal firearms are buried about the countryside
    Thankfully there is more to living after the SHTF than fire power and I am working to cover all bases plus my blades are quiet and never need to reload

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Keep a low profile & get out of Dodge. You should be fine.
    Keith.

Mr Boots likes this.
  8. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    That's the plan over the last 14 years I hav hiked and camped over every mountain range and traveled every waterway in the north west of Ireland and a couple of close friends hav done the same and we have bin working on routes and poi
    Ya can't get what u can't find
    And if they don't know you exist they'll not be looking for u

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one, sounds as if you are well prepared.
    Keith.

Mr Boots likes this.
  10. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    I hav bin prepared and successful up today for tomorrow's challenges I'll hav to wait and see

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well let's face it, even if nothing happens we have had some fun in living history along the way :)
    Keith.

Mr Boots likes this.
  12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    been looking for Greens Rangers in the UK but all I can find is a WW2 reinactment group not an 18th century one.

Keith H. likes this.
  13. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Not sure technology will disappear or wear out that fast. The people left standing I.e. survivors will be educated and will tend to preserve what they can. Homesteads that have wells will use hand pumps Some few places will have hydroelectric, wind turbines. Moving back to a time were electrical power did not exist is a very small step. People with a diverse education and skill set if alive will rebuild. I believe they may very well choose not to rebuild. Why bring this back. I say this because I have stood on many shores and places with my feet in sand or soil face to the sun and smelled pollution. I have been in oceans, sea, lake, and rivers and still felt dirty. A time when moral value is chosen rather than moral decay.

Keith H. likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    technology will disappear because post SHTF it wont have the infrastructure and the manufacturing base to maintain it.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    How much tech do you use Lone wolf?

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    personally not a lot, this laptop which was a cheap one(I also run a British prepper forum) and a basic Nokia(no camera) phone which stays in my pocket most of the time and is only used for emergencies(not many of those), I would be quite happy(to quote Yul Brynner in "the magnificent seven") to throw them in the water bucket and ride out!!:D

Keith H. likes this.
  17. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I guess a better question is what do you consider tech and how much tech have you prepped? Ham radio walkie talkie a well pump maybe modern chainsaw?

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i don't prep tech, my post SHTF plans don't require it. i'm going for a simple, basic lifestyle- one that I have lived before.

Keith H. likes this.
  19. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Good sound advice for shtf.

Keith H. and lonewolf like this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my personal opinion is that without mains power everything will have to be done by hand, i.e. physical labour, some solar and wind power may be available for the short term but without access to a spare parts manufacturing base even this will be short lived.

Keith H. likes this.
  21. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I disagree only because history show us differently Egyptian had batteries Roman empire had boats with heated floors used steam power. Egypt and Roman moved huge objects. We will have fewer people then now but most likely the same size population they had back then but our populous will be smarter and better equipped.

22. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Oh I forgot places like the Hover dann will continue to run on its own for years if not destroy. But we won't know till after shtf.

Keith H. likes this.
  23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yeah but they had the infrastructure to keep it all running, post SHTF we wont.

Keith H. likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the one thing you have to remember is that when past civilisations collapsed the technology was so basic, the survivors could access their daily needs themselves and just wait for "civilisation" to reassert itself-no matter how long that took, we are so reliant on technology these days that the majority of the population would be unable to do the same.

Keith H. likes this.
  25. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have contacted Xander Green asking him for another contact address other than Facebook. I will post it if they have one. Meanwhile this is the Facebook contact for the group: Greens Rangers UK https://www.facebook.com/groups/177988055601175/
    Keith.

26. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can see your point Thanez, & I agree. There will be a lot of people who have no wish to go back to what we have now. Greed for more wealth & power is destroying our environment.
    Keith.

27. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    There will be technology that could be used short term. Electricity may be generated for as long as the equipment lasts. But then as lonewolf says, a person would need more technology to repair these items. Blacksmiths these days are far & few between, some will make progress & they will train others, but I think progress will be slow & not widespread. It will start with individuals doing for themselves, not a major public project.
    Keith.

28. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
  29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not so much interested in the battle side of reinactments, but I would like to see more of the living history camps, how the ordinary person lived day to day.
    had an interesting conversation with a couple of people doing just this at an event not far from here last year, friend was involved that's how I got to know about it.

Keith H. likes this.
  30. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    it was how the ordinary person lived day to day that got me hooked it is amazing how as technology advanced as we are now and as connected to the whole world that we hav lost our ability to work as independent community in our own backyard it one of the reasons I love reenactment where every community hav every skilled person they need to live from farmers to blacksmith everything they need was all around them they used everything in nature and wasted nothing I don't believe we're advanced as we would like to believe we are as we more wasteful and damaging to nature and each other that we hav every bin

Keith H. likes this.
  31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we as a society have become technically advanced but we have also become technology dependant, which wont go well when SHTF.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Thanez, Keith H. and Mr Boots like this.
  32. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Same here, I am not into re-enacting at all. Most re-enacting is military. It is the day to day living skills that interest me most. Not that re-enactors don't do the skills in camp, but that is not their main interest & function so they tend to scimp on this part.
    Keith.
    7ooX6bbSLy67W6bwVJcpl2p28eP5QzL0.png

Thanez likes this.
  33. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    We do not need to keep it all running I am just one person in a community that will work to help the people in it so they will help me survive I have the knowledge to keep a limited area functioning with just high school kid's and as Keith said in a latter post I can train them. We don't build new stuff immediately we maintain it. All infrastructure and technology is built by basic knowledge and basic manufacturing. I won't be able to maintain the internet, cellphones or T.V. but ham radio and power some computers for my lifetime thru forays into what is left over. All the infrastructure well be all around just laying in storage homes stores roads. A skyscraper is just basics construction with advanced material. Your basic home may use advanced tools to be built today but old school tools exist everywhere to repair it and build new. Look I agree A lot will be lost but not back to the days of tents. Homes with indoor plumbing electricity heating are well within our abilities.

Keith H. likes this.
  34. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think you are right Thanez, but a lot will depend on the situation. In some cases cities & towns will be a dangerous place to be. Living in a wilderness/country area you will have to choose between keeping a low profile or constructing a defence structure. Will living in a house/cabin in the country be safe? Can you protect yourself & what you have? The best we can do right now is prepare for what we THINK might come. IF something happens, then we will do the best we can with what we have. It could go either way.
    Keith.

Mr Boots likes this.
  35. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Anything is possible in the future. If Sthf happens both of what you and Lone wolf say will come true. The things I talked about only have a 50_50 chance of happening if people work together. People need to know it's possible. Not to fear everyone will be out to get them. Be cautious of strangers but no matter what you do a organized enemy will cause harm.

Keith H. likes this.
  36. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    After the SHTF and the dirt has settled it is possible to build a comfortable life (defence will always be a concern) with electricity heating and running water even after a EMP. The basis knowledge to do this is open to us all now we can all learn how to repair the system we hav in our own homes/communitys and to be able to create simple system to help us we'll not be building cpu chips or hard drives any time soon but wind or water turbine are more than possable I know I'll not hav the time to learn all the knowledge I need but am working on collecting as many engineering, wood work and gardening books as I can as well as many others books that might give me the generations after me a bit of a stepping stone

Thanez and Keith H. like this.
  37. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it dosent matter what you are building, you will need both the raw materials and the knowledge, if you cannot make spare parts-everything will break down at some point- then its a non starter.
    I don't have an engineering degree so I will content myself with a simple, somewhat primitive , life getting up when it gets light and going to bed when it gets dark, I will have plenty of other things to do without worrying about electricity.