Hoarding the Unmentionables

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by TJames13, Jun 9, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TJames13

TJames13 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    In my perusal of recommendations for stashing supplies and bug out bag contents there are a few things I often see omitted; Diapers, Feminine Hygiene Items and Contraceptives. Another item often forgotten but occasionally mentioned with gusto is toilet paper. There are many different ways to plan for these things. In the case of feminine hygiene there are disposable options as well as long term options. The vast majority of American women use disposable products however long-term options are booming more popular. It's probably a good idea to have a supply of both on hand. For diapers we have the majority using disposable diapers while cloth diapers and other sustainable options are gaining popularity. It is important to ensure a supply of diapers has various sizes to accommodate the growing baby. As for contraceptives, condoms and birth control pills are most popular but other options are available such as cervical caps, spermicide, and implants among others.

Arboreal likes this.
  2. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    You make an excellent point. I have never seen a thread on unmentionables. It's surprising to me how many people do not think about some of the things they may use on a month-to-month basis. I'd imagine it'd be a terrible experience, having your monthly experience, only to find that you have absolutely no supplies to take care of it. Contraceptives would be excellent things to stock up on- so long as they have a long expiration date. One of the most important things for me to have while traveling was tampons. I don't know what I would have done if I did not think of bringing tampons on the road with me. There are times where you have no access to local stores, so having these types of things on hand is essential. It's hard to duplicate these things with common supplies and is better to just have the real thing.

3. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't be so concerned about birth control. I do think you have a point about child care. There should be a way to deal with feminine hygiene issues also that can be important . I think this would be some of the biggest issues having a family in a survival situation. Some one would have to be really crafty to do without all these supplies.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you think you will need an item-no matter what that item is- post SHTF then it makes sense to include it in your stash.

5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    They are rarely mentioned because they are labelled UNmentionables as you just have!

6. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't even think they're unmentionable...the funny thing is, if you are saying you want to be prepared for a survival situation and you can't even talk about tampons or diapers or toilet paper, you are seriously in for a rude awakening the first time something goes wrong lol.

Lisa likes this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    toilet paper is a known prepper stash item:D

OfTheEarth likes this.
  8. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I'd never thought about this, it would suck to run out of tampons!! Better get myself a stash.

OfTheEarth likes this.
  9. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Wet wipes. I think there's enough argument there for that being "unmentionable..." dude no way, wet wipes are amazing. Especially in the woods, they come in handy when you want a little bit more cleanliness, plus they work more per square inch and stop buttstink and "mudsweat," act like you don't know what it is ;)

10. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Or you could do it the way we do...
    Wipe the bulk.
    Wash with water.
    Dry.

Don't knock it until you try it, it's the only way to get truly clean.

11. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    ^ I mean hey, if you want to challenge me to a who's more pro competition, I'll shovel off the excess and build my own manure supply, create a jig to extract the washed-off mixture to ferment into even more manure and we'll see who's b12 deficient when the tornadoes touch the ground ;)