homemade laundry soap

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by BeautifullyBree, Jun 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I supposed this is somewhat survival related. I was just curious if anyone had any good laundry soap recipes? I thought it might be a good skill to learn. In survival I would was my clothes with water alone if necessary. It would be nice to be knowledgeable about how to make it though.

sunnytn likes this.
  2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    For liquid, use water as the base and add in Arm and Hammer washing soda or Borax. Essential oils with astringent properties are mixed in last. For example, you can blend ingredients like: Coconut-Hemp-Olive Oils, Olive Fatty Acids, Lavandin & Lavender Oils, and Rosemary Extract for something akin to Castile Soap. If you add peppermint to the solution, it wards off insects.

There's quite a few recipes available with a Google search, but they all list the same things: Borax, Arm and Hammer, a bar of soap.

sunnytn likes this.
  3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I know that Arm and Hammer baking soda is great for taking out odors ( I can testify it removes some hideous smells). Can Witch Hazel, an antiseptic be used in homemade laundry soap without damaging the clothes?

sunnytn likes this.
  4. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    You can go to cluckeyo.com and click on "Tips". There you will find a link to my detailed instructions for making Super Laundry Paste with Lavender Softner. This is a really good recipe. It takes a little preparation but it cleans clothes really well and they come out soft and smelling nice. No need for a dryer sheet.

sunnytn likes this.
  5. Daniel Sylvester

Daniel Sylvester New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Lavender and water works best. If you are in a desert climate the yucca plant is great, also aloe plants.

sunnytn likes this.
  6. hollowgirl

hollowgirl Administrator Gold Supporter
      85/99

Blog Posts:
    I made homemade laundry soap for awhile. Below is the recipe that I used, and I was able to find everything in the laundry soap isle:

Laundry Soap Powder

1 box PURE Baking Soda 4lb
    1 box Super Washing Soda 3lb 7oz
    1 box Borax 4lb 12oz
    3 bars Fels-Naptha Soap 5.5oz OR equal measurements of IVORY Soap bars OR ZOTE Soap bars
    1 box/container Oxy-Clean 3lb (Optional: leave this out and use it for certain loads. This ist one of the most expensive ingredients)
    **Optional: Purex Crystals 28oz for fresh sent OR equal measurements of Downy Unstoppables Crystals or Gain Crystals

Finely grate the bars of soap, should look like beads or small worms/larva. Mix all ingredients in large air tight container.
    USE 1-2 TBS of detergent per wash load. (The number of loads of laundry you will be able to wash is remarkable!)

Works great and smells AWESOME!!! Less plastic bottles etc. so it is a little better for the environment.

I use the empty oxy-clean container to put my detergent in on the washer and store the bulk in an air tight container then just refill the one I keep on the washer shelf. Scoop size is the same as a coffee measuring scoop or the cap of liquid cold medicine.

There are also recipes to make liquid laundry soap, but I have not given that a try yet.

sunnytn likes this.
  7. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Hmmmmmmmmmm?????????

If'n your gonna stock up on all those soap making goods I'd think just stocking up on soap
    would be far more prudent.
    1 box PURE Baking Soda 4lb
    1 box Super Washing Soda 3lb 7oz
    1 box Borax 4lb 12oz
    3 bars Fels-Naptha Soap 5.5oz OR equal measurements of IVORY Soap bars OR ZOTE Soap bars
    1 box/container Oxy-Clean 3lb (Optional: leave this out and use it for certain loads. This ist one of the most expensive ingredients)
    **Optional: Purex Crystals 28oz for fresh sent OR equal measurements of Downy Unstoppables Crystals or Gain Crystals

That's a lot of stuff in a post shtf world and I don't want to be making soap when running out
    of food, meds, ammo, etc.

Here:
    http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/j...43&utm_content=Janitorial - Cleaning Supplies

$64 bucks for FIVE gallons.

More on the web.
    I know how to make soap from hot, liquid fat and a barrel of hard wood ashes.
    If need be.
    But stocking up is a much better, simpler, more efficient method.
    When surviving I want to devote my time to surviving.
    Just sayin'.
    I do appreciate the post however and one never knows when making soap will make
    surviving easier.