Homemade Trellis

Discussion in 'Farming and Gardening' started by acheno84, Jun 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I've seen trellises made from various materials, but I haven't really attempted to build one myself. What types of materials have you used in your garden? I am looking at different strengths here as well. I am looking for a trellis for the following veggies/vines:

Green Beans
    Cantaloupe
    Tomato
    Peas
    Watermelon

What household materials would you use for each of these types? Do you have any pictures of your homemade trellis?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We just use bush poles, either in the normal bean row formation, or in the 3 sisters where you use a tripod, or just a row of poles with ringlock fencing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is known as the "three sisters". You plant your corn, when it is about 4-5 inches tall you plant your squash & your beans. The beans climb up the corn. You can if you wish erect a tripod over this & grow more beans up the tripod.
    Keith.

cluckeyo likes this.
  3. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    QUOTE=
    [​IMG]
    This is known as the "three sisters". You plant your corn, when it is about 4-5 inches tall you plant your squash & your beans. The beans climb up the corn. You can if you wish erect a tripod over this & grow more beans up the tripod.
    Keith.[/QUOTE]

I want to try this. It seems like a very efficient use of garden space. Though we have a large garden, I would love to cut the size of it in half or even 1/3, using ingenuity like this. This would result in an abundant harvest using less water, which is important.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I want to try this. It seems like a very efficient use of garden space. Though we have a large garden, I would love to cut the size of it in half or even 1/3, using ingenuity like this. This would result in an abundant harvest using less water, which is important.[/QUOTE]

More Here On My Blog: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2015/11/our-three-sisters-garden.html
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/three-sister-colonial-garden.html
    Keith.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We bought a planting material for grape vine. Since it is just an experiment, we had to forgo with the plan of an intricate trellis made of iron bars. And to save money, we used available materials in our backyard. Here is the photo of our grape vine when it was starting to grow vines.... IMG_6917 grape vine.JPG

You will notice that the improvised trellis has bamboo for the main beam and the post is a straight branch of the ipil tree. Now the vine is very prolific and we had trimmed it twice already. But that trellis is still holding on so I guess it can withstand the test of time and the heavy vines.

6. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I, too am growing green beans this year and wondered what I was going to do about a trellis. I think that I am going to see if I can find dead branches that I can cut from my trees and use them to make a trellis. Even though I like my garden to look pretty, I need practicality more. It would be nice if can build something I can use for several years. I really don't want to give Loew's or Home Depot more money than I do already. Thanks for sharing your stories.

7. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabe New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Personally I like the look of this better than most trellises, I think it's so simple and beautiful. And hey, if it works!

My grandmother had a trellis arch when I was little. On one side she grew tomatoes and the other she grew trumpet flowers! Was one of the weirdest and most awesome combos ever.

Corzhens likes this.