Homemade wine

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by QtheMyst, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This weekend I'm experimenting with one of the more fun homesteading projects I've tried, making a batch of homemade wine! I think this would be a lot of fun and maybe could save me some money. My recipe calls for apple (you can use any kind to your taste but this was on sale last week) juice, spices, sugar, and yeast. I bought a little topper to let air out of the container while it ferments and it looks pretty easy. I'll mix it up today and I should have homemade apple wine in a couple weeks!

Have you guys ever tried anything similar? My only problem is I am so eager to see how it comes out I don't know how I'm going to wait the 2 weeks!

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    No, but is fairly simple in theory. First, you get a gallon jug, preferably glass. Clean it out well, washing the jug with soap, rinse with baking soda in water and afterwards with clear water. Put two pints of honey in the jug (the more honey, the stronger the wine), fill with warm water and then shake. Add cake of yeast and leave the jug uncapped and sitting in a sink during wee hours. It will foam and the whole thing gets pretty sticky at this point. After the mess quiets down a bit, you're ready to put a top on it. NOT a solid top. You would end up with a bomb instead of wine otherwise.

What you need a device that will allow gas to leak from the jug without letting air get in. Air getting in is what turns wine mixtures into vinegar. One way to do the job is to run a plastic or rubber hose from the sealed mouth of the jug, thread the free end through a hole in a cork and let the hose hang in a glass or bowl of water. Or you can make a loop in the hose, pour in a little water and trap the water in the loop to act as a seal. Now put your jug of brew away about two weeks until it's finished doing its thing. It's ready to bottle when the bubbles stop coming to the top. Old wine bottles are suitable . You must use corks to seal the wine as they will allow small amounts of gas to escape. The wine is ready to drink now.You can use the same process with fruits or whatever, except that you'll have to extract the juice and, maybe, add some sugar. You'll also find that most natural fruit will start to ferment without the yeast and will be better that way.

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I am anxious to try wine-making too, but have not done it yet. We have the wild mustang grape here which is supposed to make very good wine. Also the prickly pear cactus which is supposed to be very good also. I am dragging my feet because I do not have a suitable storage place for it, while it ferments. I'd like to get one of those little climate control wine cellars. Kind of looks like a small fridge.

4. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have a relative which makes wine. He has this machine that puts corks in the bottles, and it's really fun to do it with him.He produces all sorts of whiskys and they all taste delicious.It's really hard to produce wine at home, specially without the proper machines and ingredients, but I hope you have allot of fun with it, and can produce some quality wine! Feel free to share the results.

5. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    One recipe requires a sterilized gallon of milk container, an expansive latex inflatable object or in this case a balloon, and an elastic band to help you to finish. Consolidate sugar, yeast and concentrated juice without any included sweeteners into the gallon of milk container and you're set.

6. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I have a friend whose main hobby is brewing beer and making wine. He said a simple wine is a fairly easy process to undertake and that there are dozens of resources on the internet to help you. I have had a few of his wines and tons of his beer and he has gotten better at making it over the 15+ years I have known him. I really think this is a great skill to develop for a survivalist because ultimately it could be something you could barter with when currency is low or possibly becomes something of little value in an extreme situation.

7. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    My uncle made grape wine when he was a kid. His mom had canned grape juice and he decided to punch a hole in the lid. He let the jars sit until they tasted "different" then he and his friend got drunk. OH, but his mom was made!!

8. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Many of my family members have tried this, with pleasing results. They mostly did it for fun rather than for money saving or survivalism, but it still helps practise a potentially useful skill. I think the taste isn't quite as refined as other wines, but it does have a unique flavour to it, which can be sentimentally appealing.