House Fire!

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by jeager, May 14, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    We need to consider house/building fire.
    In a shtf situation where communications might not exist, telephone ?, what happens if your
    house or out buildings catch fire?
    I have a creek nearby but a bucket brigade of one? Not effective.
    Fire extinguishers aren't big enough to contain a blazing building.
    What to do if the homestead catches fire?
    Thoughts?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good question. I think the first thing to do is make sure that your house does not catch fire from inside, by having a fire blanket close to hand in the kitchen, & making sure that you do not place candles where they can be a hazard. From outside, unless you have a high water tank with hose or you can organise a bucket brigade, then you will simply have to get all important items out of the house that you can & then let it burn. We live in a forest, so in summer, fire is a constant danger. At present we have fire pumps, but after the fall of course these will not be an option. Even with these pumps if the forest is on fire we would have to evacuate anyway & hope for the best.
    Keith.

3. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    My home is on 15 acres, 14 woods.
    Dry leaves caught fire and almost took the house.
    It did melt my canoe just 15 feet from the house.
    Now I have fire extinguishers all over and attached a hose to my water system inside the house.
    IF it catches fire I'll have but seconds to put it out
    Our volunteer fire department is famous for saving basements.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Our V.F.D. used to be great basement savers too. I'm glad and proud, and personally grateful, that people have hung in there and improved their capabilities. (This is a good true story and should probably be a blog post.) Those who don't have the ideal build to be "professional" fire fighters can do a lot...learn to keep our heads, learn to fight fires, learn to prevent fires, and support improvements to inadequate V.F.D.'s.