How Do People Trying To Survive Find So Much Food?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Lexcion, Jun 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Lexcion

Lexcion New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I was really wondering because since humans need about 2,000 calories to stay healthy, it must be really hard to find food as just looking for fruits/vegetables alone would have very low energy content. Meat would be a lot more calorie dense but it's very hard to obtain it in a survival situation. So how were humans able to consistently find that much food especially since we aren't very strong physically?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Why do you assume meat is hard to obtain in a survival situation Lexcion? I fed my family by hunting & trapping meat for over 20 years. Now we can afford to purchase meat but we keep chooks as well. Native peoples are still hunting & trapping to feed their families. The women are usually responsible for collecting plant foods & small game.
    Keith.

3. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    You have to open up your mind bugs nice rats coons possums squirrel fish minnows ant's bee and wasp larva termite roots tree bark the piute Indians trive on almost nothing

tominwash and Keith H. like this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    trapping, snaring, hunting, fishing, gathering and foraging, growing our own food and raising animals, it all adds to the mix post SHTF.
    you wont survive on just one thing but a mixture of all the above.

5. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    It helps that a lot of us don't need the full 2,000 calories! Few if any people living in primitive/survival conditions have a weight problem.

6. Dunn

Dunn New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Yeah Sir i agree most of peope don't eat good because they can't find food.
    It's gonna be like this until the end of the time,and that's sad.

7. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Hunters find meat easy because they have marked places with good animal traffic in the area. What they just do is go back to the same place every now and then, set traps and everything will just be a waiting game. I really admire trappers because in the forest there ia no sign, no street name and no one to ask for direction but they still can go to and fro to places.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    You don't even need to be a good hunter to catch animals, just set up a lot of traps around your surroundings and wait. Fruits are also really good in vitamins and other nutrients, so don't discredit them just because they don't give out the same level of calories. Hunting is one of the basic skills of survival, you need to sharpen it up.

PriscillaKing likes this.
  9. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    In a survival situation your full time job is sourcing food. Instead of going to a job that provides a paycheck you would get up each day and tend your crops, hunt, trap, and forage.

PriscillaKing and lonewolf like this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Calories?! There's a Chinese restaurant supply house one town over. Find these places and buy big bags of rice. When I was a kid, knew a retired military Sgt.Major who kept bullion cubes with him at all times. He told me that the bullion was for survival, said that he could always find rice. The fellow was stationed in the Orient four tours that I know of. He was tougher than a leather belt, wounded a few times, yet lived to be old. The sodium and the cigarettes didn't kill him for decades and decades.

To vacuum pack jars, put a loosely closed jar inside the LARGE canister of a vacuum sealer & draw out all the air possible. If you want, put a desiccant pack / O2 absorber in with the rice on top of a slice of cardboard to keep it from touching the rice (I don't know if that is necessary). The canning jar's lid will be sucked down onto the jar's mouth.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hey, I just found a video for vacuum sealing rice. Same could be used for other dried starch sources such as whole grain wheat (you'll need a grinder for that), beans, on and on.

I watched the vid. to make sure he was doing this right. He's got a special lid that goes straight to the jar. Me, I'll also spend the money for desiccant packs.

Here's the FoodSaver company's jar sealer accessory: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005TN7...t=&hvlocphy=9008372&hvtargid=pla-274934854749

I've not compared prices by company or recomended product -- used this company simply as an example.

12. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one. Yes I think we need to purchase more rice. They sell large bags of rice in the supermarkets here. You can make your own "pocket soups" but yes, the cubes are easier. I suppose oxo cubes would be good too.
    Keith.

13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    First off you don't need 2000 calories every day to be strong and healthy. For periods as long as 4 to 6 months people can and have lived on as little as 400 calories a day. Primitive peoples often lived a life that was a lot like the way bears do and would fatten up when there was lots to eat and then live mostly off that fat during the hard times. Modern people believe that they need three big meals a day but that isn't a reality. On a thousand calorie diet a person loses a couple of pounds a week. If you stop eating all together you will seldom lose more than a pound a day.

People are made such that it is easy to put on fat and hard as heck to lose that weight. Dieting is a HUGE multi-billion dollar business because of this. Our wonderful system was based on a lifestyle that was a variable as far as daily calorie intake. That same system is now causing us a lot of problems. The reason dieting doesn't actually work for very many people over a long period of time is that our bodies fight it. When you suddenly cut your calorie intake your body changes its metabolism. The less you eat the less you need. And THEN even if you do lose the weight the second that you start to eat a normal diet again you balloon as your body wants to put as much fat on you as possible to protect you from the next "famine".

Once most people trim down and their bodies adjust they will be quite able to live on 1000 to 15oo calories a day with occasional big feasts when they make a big kill or when their crops are harvested or when the wild fruits are available. If you are in a survival situation and try to land expect to live like you do now you will be in trouble. One of the things that is going to be hardest is for people to let their bodies adapt. Just as you will have to adapt to hot and cold that we are now exempt from you will need to adapt to eating when you have it and not worrying about it when you don't for a day or two.

If food is scarce what you need to do is eat it in very small amounts many times a day. This will allow your digestive system to get all of the nutrient value out of what you have eaten. One reason we think that we need 2000 calories a day is because we eat pretty big meals three times a day and when your stomach is full the stuff in the small intestine is "moved on and out" to make room for what is in the stomach. We pass a lot of calories out unclaimed because we offered more before what we had eaten earlier had been completely digested. Eat a little many times a day and the amount that you will need will fall dramatically.

Man is the most adaptable creature on this planet and has successfully inhabited every continent and environment with the lone exception of Antarctica. Only the bears come close but they didn't make the cut in the arid deserts. It won't be pleasant at first but even modern man can still adapt and survive. The hardest part will be accepting that adaptation an learning to LIVE in the new environment and not just survive.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Old Geezer likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    a scientist friend once told me our ancient ancestors ate over 2000 different types of foods and modern humans eat less than 200.

15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was just reading that the vacuum part of putting rice in jars may be unnecessary. Nitrogen composes like 75% of air and nitrogen is a inert gas good for storage, so that shouldn't be sucked out.

I stand corrected.

Therefore put rice in jars, put in one or two O2 absorber packs (100 cc per quart), cap with lid, and screw down the sealing ring. The lack of oxygen kills bugs, molds and such. The remaining nitrogen is an ongoing preservative. Rice lasts even if you do nothing, so getting out the oxygen really protracts your storage time, just keep the sealed jars away from moisture and extremes of temperature.

Use the O2 packs as soon as you receive them. The blister packs in which they come only protect for a half year at best. Get'em, use'm. Often there will be an orange circle thingy inside the bag that turns green when out of date. Each manufacturer will have their own indicator tabs, read the instructions.

This process is not expensive. Rice and pinto beans are cheap, especially in bulk. The jars can be reused many a time. Jar lids can be purchased separately and these too are reusable -- i.e. one stores what they normally use anyway, so you just cycle your pantry, over and over and over and over. We just put back rice that we use weekly, self-same brand, just that I bought some in 20-pound bags instead of 5-pound. Saved money doing that. One twenty pound bag of that brand filled 10 quart jars. The type of rice will vary your jar count needed to pack. One quart jar provides six servings of rice given how much each of us eat -- consider that I am not a small man and put back some serious grub. To give flavor to rice, buy bouillon cubes, they are so salty that their shelf life is a couple of years, plus nowadays the jars they come in have a sealing barrier one must break. In a cardboard box of rice jars, I throw in jars of bouillon cubes = a survival kit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=o2+...8JbXAhUExYMKHWAoAYwQ_AUICigB&biw=1154&bih=598

Rice and beans are your starches, your "keep flesh on the bones" foods. This must be supplemented with canned meats, fruits, nuts, and such. The latter for amino acids and vitamins. Canned nuts last and last, plus contain the oils your body relies on to absorb fatty vitamins such as A, D, and E.

Glass jars of jellies are rich in calories, vitamins, and anti-oxidants. The tasty parts are usually your anti-oxidants = jellies are good for you in a survival situation, even the high calorie thingy. And the expiration date on blackberry jam is two years out. Your favorite brand might be expensive, but the generic brand isn't and quite frankly still tastes very good. Kids want something that tastes good.

Putting back sugar requires no treatments or preservatives -- just decent containers to keep the sugar away from the elements and the bugs.

To store cooking oils, it's best to store them in glass jars, not plastic or metal. If the glass is dark (blue or green), this will protect the oil from ultraviolet light.
    https://www.wikihow.com/Store-Cooking-Oil

In survival times, do NOT throw away the renderings left from the cooking of meat. Oils and lard are absolutely necessary during hard times. Cook your veggies in lard if lard is what you have to grease the pan. You'll need the calories. If you put on weight during hard times, give praise unto God, for obviously He has smiled upon you mightily! Think too that your extra weight may not be there three months out, for hard times follow good. We are not unlike bears and groundhogs.

16. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Our cavemen ancestors ate yucky stuff. And if push comes to shove, we will also.

Earthworms:
    http://www.eattheweeds.com/cooking-with-earthworms-2/
    http://www.recycleworks.org/compost/wormfood.html

Insects:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Insects-for-Food-Prep-101/
    https://edibug.wordpress.com/list-of-edible-insects/
    https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/survival/wilderness/edible-bug.htm

Earthworms must be allowed to purge their gut before being turned into food. One can also gut large night-crawlers. I wonder if a rolling pin would work?!

As to growing night-crawlers, my grandfather put planks over dirt that was normally damp. Dead crushed leaves kept wet then covered with planks makes for great earthworm cities -- that's a fact.

https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Your-Own-Fishing-Worms

Red worms for sale:
    https://www.buckeyeorganics.net/pag...MIzM2Wh4OX1wIVFLXACh0BowfwEAAYASAAEgKXhfD_BwE

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'll be growing and foraging my food and eating earthworms and the like will be a last option .

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There is food all around me. The secret is knowing what plants are rich in proteins and minerals and which are just a waste of time to eat. We have a hog infestation and they are big and healthy. People can eat anything that a hog can eat. We have a very similar digestive system. That is why pig poop smells so bad. Their skin is even close enough to ours that cosmetic companies us pigs to test their products before trying them on people.

You can even eat most of what deer eat. They are browsers rather than grazers and so have simple digestive systems unlike cattle and such. Deer will starve to death if they are fed hay. You learn to eat only the new growth off of most plants to get the most out of them. You can even eat the inner skin of a pine tree and the young needles are higher in vitamin C than lemons. There are a lot of big leafed plants that are very high in proteins. What is hard to find in nature is FATS and during a lot of the year carbohydrates. Once the fruits are gone it gets a little harder to find enough plant matter to live on a vegan diet.

Where ever you live, you need to know what there is out there to eat BEFORE you have to try to do it in a life or death situation.

19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    It's no cardinal sin to eat worms.

e86da14ac2ee62e5ce452886ce0fc900.jpeg

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Worms taste like DIRT!! Grubs are a lot better.

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    worms have to be flushed through before you can eat them, 24 hours without food before they are fit to eat.

22. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Probably true. Also, a lot of them roamed over more different territory to find more food. Whole tribes migrated south in winter.

23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Opportunistic feeders eat whatever is available. Before people started to farm they ate a wide variety of things depending on the season and where they were. The same was true before people started to herd and keep animals. Variety was life for early hunter gatherers.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the next county to me (Somerset) the ancient people used to come down from the hills in the summer and fish and catch wildfowl in the wet lands, they built summer homes on the small islands where they were safe from attack, they returned to the hills in the winter time as most of the wildfowl migrated further south to Europe and Africa.
    the name Somerset is derived from the summer people or the summer set, hence Somerset.