How do you deal with pain?

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by Lisa, May 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm currently stuck at home after waking up with severe back pain which is making it impossible to get about. In a survival situation with no access to analgesics and a need to be able to be functional how would you deal with severe pain?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Just soldier on!
    Pain is in your brain and you can get used to it.
    I have had to deal with severe pain a few times, keeping busy works well at times.
    The hardest bit for me was going to bed as with little to think about the pain comes flooding back.
    Sleeping with your back straight but slightly stretched worked well for my disc problems!

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I had posted in another thread about acupressure. It is similar to acupuncture except that instead of needle, the fingers are used to press on the so called pressure points. I am no expert on this, just sharing a general knowledge. If you care to make a research, I'm sure you will find it in the internet. Anyway, the benefit of acupressure is to relax not only the body but also the mind as well. And when you are relaxed, worries are gone, fear escapes you, pain is deadened somehow. So that's my best bet for a natural healing of pain in lieu of medication. Press on the appropriate pressure points that is directly connected to the back pain that you are experiencing. The pain may not completely vanish but for sure it will be lessened.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Pain is... something people can become accustomed to. Unless one's arm gets lopped off. Or you give birth. That kind of pain is off the scale.
    Otherwise, you merely have to grit your teeth and keep pressing on. If you push the pain out of your mind, refuse to truckle beneath the sensation, then the body will eventually ignore the pain receptors.
    Also, it depends on your pain threshold.

Corzhens also brings up a valid point of targeting certain points on the body and applying pressure. Acupressure and reflexology definitely help divert the pain. Breathing (like the kind of meditative practice one finds in yoga) can also teach your ways to absolve physical anguish.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have osteo arthritis which manifests itself as , sometimes severe, back pain, especially first thing in the morning when I get out of bed.
    I find the best thing is not to sit around but to keep moving, sitting actually makes it worse, I literally WALK off the pain, then i'm okay for the rest of the day.
    having a dog and taking it for walks does have beneficial results!!!

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have severe back pain from years in the military but I deal with it by exercising and yoga. The more I sit around the worse my pain become. You definitely want to move around and look for herbal medicine that helps with the pain. I need to look for herbal medicines as well.

Keith H. and lonewolf like this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    keeping active is definitely the way to go, once you go "off your feet" as we say down here, you really have had it, and it leads to other health complications.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Keeping yourself busy will take your attention away from the pain, i think in the absence of pain relievers, you just have to distract yourself and not dwell on it, otherwise it will accentuate the pain and that's never a good thing. I've had my fair share of this situation and that's all i really do.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There are some pains that one can get in a muscle that will turn that limb off, i.e. if in a leg, that leg will not hold your weight. But pain per se can be managed, you can get used to it & continue to function. Not happily perhaps, & your mood is definitely effected, but you can continue to function.
    Pain killers are something that is available over the counter, so we can stock up on them.
    Keith.

10. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I am constantly dealing with severe back pain. I cannot imagine this happening in a survival situation. I have had a few injuries while traveling and I was always under the impression that my best bet was going to see a doctor. I always made sure to be educated on my surroundings and know where the nearest hospital was. It's an important thing to know- even if you are in the middle of no where. I'd suggest keeping pain pills in your pack, though I wouldn't walk around with anything "strong" unless you are prescribed. Another good thing to have is automatic heat pads, to ease the pain until you can find help.

11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I have not experience having a back pain. Maybe if you are prone to this you should always have your pain medicine ready most of the time so that when you feel it you have one to the rescue. And when it triggers that you are alone and there is no one to help you and there is no nearby hospital having a knowledge on how to treat the pain naturally for the moment can help. Like me everytime I had a severe headache I just swallow a piece of garlic or two and after hours of taking it my head is quite okay already. This works for me many times and to think it is because garlic is a natural pain killer.

12. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I have a lot of problems with my feet and at times they do hurt. Sometimes I resort to taking a prescription strength Aleve. Usually I can ignore it. I think if I were in a survival situation and could not get meds, well, for one thing, I would pack meds. Get a little stash together and keep it in my pack. But if for some reason I could not get the meds, I would move slower, rest more often, try to block it mentally by staying focused on other things.

13. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I think the pain is probably not the bit I should have focused on in original post, moving about definitely helps with back pain and as Lonewolf pointed out many people who go ''off their feet'' (I work in an NHS hospital in the midlands) end up deteriorating and not being able to get up again. Perhaps I will take it one step further and add to Keiths point, what if you were immobilised? What would you do if you found yourself physically unable to move? Perhaps from an injury, broken leg or back or maybe because of worsening of an existing condition. In that moment when you are all alone in the wilderness and cannot move what would you do?

14. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    What would you do if you found yourself physically unable to move? Perhaps from an injury, broken leg or back or maybe because of worsening of an existing condition. In that moment when you are all alone in the wilderness and cannot move what would you do?

The very very best I can!
    I have walked kilometres with a fractured ankle, at 11yo I put my knee out far from camp, I bashed it back in, made a crutch from a stick and my belt then hobbled the 2kilometers back to camp.
    If you get into a situation you need to access the situation, whats the aim? how to do it with the given resources? then just do it!

15. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Arkane you are either brave or crazy!! But I suppose you have to do what you have to do, would you be able to cut your own arm off like that guy from the film ''127 hours'' or whatever it was called.

16. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think in that movie it was a life or death situation? I never saw it, but I remember hearing about it. I think if it came to life or death, I could do anything to save my own life. At least I like to think so! I think I have a high pain threshold, but I've never tried sawing one of my own limbs off, so it's hard to say.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    like I keep saying, don't base your personal survival on something you saw in a movie.
    believe it or not the world after "the collapse" wont be like "Rambo" or "Mad Max", it'll be something far bleaker and far quieter.

18. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    It was a movie based on something that actually happened, so it wasn't like Rambo. The guy really did cut his own arm off.

19. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you actually believe all your read it is.
    in any case very few people would be able to do this themselves.

21. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I do believe it because it's true, it's very well documented. I agree that few people would be able to do it though, although if you are delirious and close to death you never know.

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you'd need to be carrying a very sharp knife and have the willpower to do it, I don't believe many people will possess either.

23. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Aron Ralton had a dull 2 inch pocket knife, he broke the bones in his arm first because he knew the knife wouldn't go through them and then he spent an hour cutting through the rest. It's pretty hardcore but people do incredible things when death is imminent.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I still don't think your average citizen is capable of such things. this guy was a hardcore adventurer to start with.

25. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Yea he was, I just can't imagine being able to do it. Nerves of steel that guy.

26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's my point, just because someone had done it, dosent mean everyone can, or even should, attempt it.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    TBH I don't think any of us will be getting into those kinds of situations even post collapse, a measured approach, watch what we are doing and don't do stupid things and we should be fine.
    now throwing ourselves off a waterfall like Bear Grylls does is asking for trouble, so don't do it!

28. jeannie

jeannie New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I have had 3 heart attacks in the last 4 years, all happened during the first year and half, and that has left me with many complications. I will tell my story here, and believe me it's true and it's magical too! So here it is:

Since after the second heart attack, I began noticing excruciating pain in my right hand. The pain begins suddenly and is chiefly in the upper right hand. Begins in the backside of the right shoulder around the bottom tip of the right Scapula bone. There is also deep and excruciating pain in the deltoid and triceps region of the right upper arm. Of course, the cardiologist has prescribed medicines to give relieve during such events, but those remedies, as usual, don't help much! lol. The pain increases very fast, and almost all the times it is beyond the limits of endurance... When the meds didn't helped much, I tried ice cubes application -- took a couple of ice cubes from the refrigerator, put them in a thin cloth (sometimes I use thin plastic bag) and ask someone in the house to apply it to my painful regions. It work almost instantaneously and magically, and the pain subsides to almost normalcy! In my case at least, this has helped almost at all times I suffer from that pain.

Another thing I have noticed that during the painful episode, I take my mind off completely from the body, and I begin praying... I pray for unknown people, for people who are traveling at that time in cars, buses, and trains. Distances do not matter! I visualize a train full of passengers, and I mentally move around them from compartment to compartment, and silently, I pray for them. I simply say, "God bless you! Enjoy your health, enjoy your happiness,..." whatever good thing comes to my mind, I feel that the person is getting it. It gives me real happiness, and of course the pain which is still there, isn't much bothering my mind! I feel that such prayers give me strength to overcome the feeling of pain, and the tremendous stress that accompanies it. It's (that mental and emotional praying) literally a life saver for me! Try it, friends!

29. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm diagnosed with severe back pain. I have actually found hot baths very helpful. Massages are an amazing pain relief. One of my other favorites is stretching. Its hard to imagine trying to survive with a back injury, but I hope its possible.

30. Finman0507

Finman0507 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I think best thing to do when in pain when you are nowhere near a hospital or doctor is to push through. I think you go into a different state of mind when you NEED to survive. I don't think your mindset will be the same as for example if you are at home. Rest a lot if you can and do what you think is necessary when you find yourself in that situation.

lonewolf likes this.
  31. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I have undergone sudden attacks of dental pain at night at a time when I had no painkillers. I tried so many different strategies including chewing of different twigs in the compound to ameliorate the pain without success. Occupying your mind with intense thoughts of past episodes usually does the trick. You can also surf the web on sites that really absorb you to distract your mind. With time, the body has the mechanism of conditioning and the pain will be less intense. To better withstand pain, don't rely on painkillers unless if absolutely necessary.

32. Jaydon A.

Jaydon A. New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Well if I were in that situation, I would try to numb the pain with natural anesthetics. If that were not an option, then I would find the nearest water source, boil the water, and use that as heat therapy for wherever the injury/pain is most prominent.

33. bachelor56

bachelor56 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Like I learned from the Navy and being stationed with the Marines. "Pain is weakness leaving the body". I think as long as you focus on other things and not on the pain then it will be easier to deal with it. I have a high pain tolerance level so it usually has to take a lot in order to admit that I am in pain. I just ignore the pain until it is at the point when I have to definitely see the doctor.

34. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Pain is part of life and i think i deal with it fairly well. One of the advantages of growing older is that we know that most pain is temporary. You can get through a lot of things with the knowledge it is temporary.

35. bluebetta

bluebetta Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Pain control in a survival situation is definitely something to think about. I have read that the bark of white willow trees can be boiled to extract an aspirin-like chemical. Growing hot peppers could possibly become a source of Capsicum for home made cream. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and has helped me with some minor issues. I have not looked into growing poppies but it might be something to research to see if they could be used in some way.

36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    they grow opium from poppies. opium was used a lot in the past wars as an early pain reliever. it was well known in Victorian times. trouble was people got addicted to it.

37. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I try everything I can to deal with pain. First I know it is my brain that tells me I am in pain so I try to relax and not to think about it. It is not enough since we are not Shao Lin monks and although I meditate and do yoga I also have some creams usually home made stuff that I use for my knees and my back mostly. Massage is another thing that helps for the back pain and if all these remedies fail I take some pain killers. That is my last option on the list but still, it is an option.

38. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Everyone is going to have a different threshold when it comes to pain, and while some people will be able to withstand a lot, others will be on the verge of passing out if they even see a person in pain never mind feel it themselves. another thing to consider is the type of pain as well and while some people might be able to withstand the pain of a broken bone, sit them in the dentist chair and it will be an whole different story.

39. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    My ability to deal with pain is greatly influenced by the situation that I am currently in as I have stayed in basketball and hockey games after breaking bones just because my adrenaline and competitive spirit were very high at the time. Other times, if I have a mild migraine, I'll just want to sit in a dark room and do nothing except sleep. We humans have a strong instinct for survival so, in a time of imminent peril, we will be be able to overcome anything other than debilitating pain until either the danger has passed or we succumb. In the wilderness, ginger, turmeric and wintergreen oil are all good painkillers with the first two plants providing significant anti-inflammatory properties and the last plant providing a benefit similar to a low-dose aspirin.

40. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have heard of an asian herb called kratom that is supposedly very good for pain. I read a study that said the active ingredient stimulates the same receptors that strong opiates do, such as morphine or fentanyl. For most states, it is legal to grow it, buy it, possess it, etc. If a person with a severe chronic pain condition wanted to be fully prepared for any possibilities, I can see things such as this being worth looking in to.