How Do You Drain Blood?

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by schiavonecalvin, Jul 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    After killing an animal for a potential food source, how do you go about draining animal blood?

2. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    You just hang the body and let it bleed out. That's about it really. Unless you are talking about cutting the jugular first and then hang it.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    It's easier to drain blood from the animal if you hang it upside down before killing it. Assuming the animal is unconscious you sever both the jugular veins and carotid arteries. With the heart still pumping this will speed up the draining. If you kill the animal first before you hang its body, it will take longer to drain most of the blood because then only gravity will be drawing out the blood.

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Unless you intend using the head and I don't I kill then hang by the rear legs!
    Gravity drains the blood into the head and neck by the time I have skinned it to the neck!
    I then cut the head off with a wheelbarrow underneath! head and hide into barrow
    then remove guts into barrow and wheel away!

John Snort likes this.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Well for small animals it's harder to cut their jugular but that's probably the way to go (that's how people kill pigs here in Romania, it's pretty effective) if you want to drain the blood from the animal. If the animal is unconcious but its hard still beats you don't need to hang it.