How do you wash your clothes whenever your on an extended trek?

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Keith H., Jul 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I generally wash when water affords it!
    I carry several net laundry bags and a waterproof bag!
    Water, clothes and a little detergent in the waterproof bag, agitate then let soak, agitate again, drain, rinse, rinse again, wring, hang big bits and hang laundry bag with small bits!
    Do this in the morning and use heat of day to dry!
    Most of my stuff is quick dry and can be put on wet if needed!

3. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    In a creek. I use modern function fabrics so just water is fine and I hang them overnight and either shake the ice out of them or if the temperatures allow let them dry properly.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Same here, except I only use natural fibre clothing, & I dry my clothing in front of a fire or hang to dry. I carry spare clothing, shirt, waistcoat & breechclout.
    Keith.

5. Billy02

Billy02 Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    When you find any running water.

lonewolf likes this.
  6. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    If I'm in my part of the U.K. I can often spot some soapwurt growing near the rivers, it was intentionally spread by people back in the pre industrial era for use as a detergent. Just bruise a handful and work it about in a bowl of warm water to create a mild detergent suitable for either washing clothes or personal hygiene. I carry an old stainless steel wash bowl that also doubles as an oven.
    For drying you can double up a length of para cord and put a few twists in it before stringing it between two trees. The twists serve better then clothes pegs if you thread your clothes between the strands and spread them out a little.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Keith H. likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I bathe first in my clothes then take them off rinse them out and bathe me. I dry off put on clean clothes and hang my "washed" clothes out to dry. We camp in a lot of state parks and if they have showers this works really good.

Plan B is a five gallon bucket with a lid that I drilled a hole in that fits the handle of a toilet plunger that I have cut holes in the rubber part. I wash the clothes like I'm churning butter and then pour out the soapy water and do the rinse cycle with clear water and hang to dry. Sometimes the water in a lake or creek is just too cold to get into and that is when the wash bucket gets used.