How long do foods last?

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by jonthai, Jun 9, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    So imagine you're building a food shelter in case of a disaster. Since you don't know when the disaster is going to come, how should you buy your products in order to preserve them as much as possible? Is buying from regular supermarkets okay?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are not growing your own, I recommend that you purchase organic products produced in countries you can trust. Supermarket provisions are fine if you purchase organic.
    Keith.

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    You can buy beans, rice, and pasta from the grocery store. Perhaps in bulk, then divide them up and store them in smaller amounts. One thing about these items is, they can go bad pretty easy. They need to be absolutely air tight to keep out weavels and silverfish which will destroy them. I know of 2 ways to do this. You could pour them into wide-mouth quart mason jars. Seal them with the plastics lids that you can buy for these jars in the canning section of Walmart. On Amazon, search for "wide mouth mason jar lid gaskets". Put these on your lids before you seal them. They will stay fresh indefinately. Another way to do this is to divide them up and put them in bags for the food sealer. Process the air out of the bags. This too, would keep every thing fresh.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Pemmican has been known to last 200 years.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

5. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Well, I can think of a few good long lasting foods to stock the paltry.

Pasta
    An excellent source of carbohydrates. The pre-packaged pasta is cheap and lasts a long time, being a good nonperishable food to store.

Beans

Dried beans provide us with the necessary protein and have a long shelf life. There are a variety of beans available from which you can choose, like black, pinto, red beans and face. You can add them to rice for a healthy meal, which sates. Peas are high in fiber, in addition to many proteins.

Grain Products
    Oatmeal, rice and wheat are good to store. High in fiber, carbohydrates and other nutrients, can shut down the hunger while you provide the necessary nutrition.

Dried meat
    Dehydrated meats are the best source of protein in nonperishable form that you can get. You can eat them as they are or add water to soften it.

Dried fruit
    Dried bananas can last up to a year and provide a lot of potassium. Dried apricots, grapes and other fruits will give you the sweetness you may want while you satisfy the hunger.

Canned food
    Canned foods take up little space and can last for many years if stored properly. Buy a supply of soups, vegetables and meat such as tuna, to have a great variety of canned goods in case you need them.

Dehydrated soups and seasoning mixes
    Dehydrated soups usually are packaged in a box. They are easy to store indefinitely and provide instant food in minutes.

Dried Food by Frozen
    Frozen Dehydrated foods last longer and occupy less space. You can find these kind of food in military stores and camping.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    stocking cans from a supermarket is what most people do, check the cans regularly to make sure they aren't blown or dented, rotating the cans as you use them, new ones to the back, and old ones to the front use them first, should ensure that when the emergency happens your cans are as fresh as they could be.

7. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    There's things that you can buy at supermarkets that will last a long time. Things like rice, dry pasta, dry beans, and things like that are good to store.

8. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:

If you are going to go the jar route, which I highly recommend, I would also recommend that you dry can them. To do this you just put them in the oven I think at 200 degrees, but Google to check, for about 2 hours. Your lids will seal just like they do with pressure canning. The heat kills anything that might have been in your dry goods. I have had bad experiences just keeping rice and beans in the pantry.

9. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Freeze drying is ideal, but you can also dehydrate and vacuum seal. There's also the option of having the steady food supply, frozen foods last somewhat indefinitely. I would always prefer to freeze dry at this point knowing what I know about the integrity of the food compared to other drying methods.

10. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The only problem with frozen foods is if you end up in a situation where you're not able to keep them frozen anymore. Then you'd end up with a lot of food going bad because you couldn't eat it fast enough.

11. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Stockpiling any grains that you can find like oatmeal and barley can last you a long time. However, just remember that if you don't store them in a dry place they will start to sprout.

12. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    The first thing that I would store and buy is wild honey because it doesn't have an expiration although it's costly than cultured honey. Learning that it doesn't have an expiration and since it's sweet u can substitute sugar with it. Since honey is a food itself it can curb hunger in case no other food is available.

13. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Let me assume that you're just buying the stuff from mall. In that case take 6 month to 10 month storage period for those canned food. You can ofcourse use them beyond that. But considering the processing that goes into the food, I'd not recommend using it for long. It just makes me wonder if they can last that long in that case. Fish and non veg food may not be good after specific time period.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I believe that the matter of food storage may not be as simple as it may seem to be. Food has to be available in a manner where it will not be unwholesome when it necessary for it to be consumed. You would not want the food to be giving you problems, making you ill in the event there is a devastating event where it's difficult to obtain medical help, therefore, periodical rotation of foods stuff, canned or otherwise is recommended.