How Much Water Do You Carry On You?

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Toast, Jun 22, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    How much water do you tend to carry on you? Do you just carry a small flask, or up to a gallon of water? I think water is one of those things you have to be really careful not to run out of. At the same time, you really don't want to add too much extra weight onto you, that you don't need. Especially if it's something like water, which you can find pretty much anywhere.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have carried a minimum of 1 QT to a maximum of a gallon (in two separate canteens) depending on the distance, terrain, air temperature and availability of water when I am in a survival setting. Even in the United States, once you get 250-300 miles west of the Mississippi River in summer, water availability declines noticeably and even that is nothing like the Mojave Desert.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I forget how much they hold now, but I carry two saddle flasks on ordinary treks. In a bug-out survival situation our group would be carrying more than this per person.
    Keith.
    oCqJ8LeWeQPuSu_w-hVE5gvxHzy5WePF.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Good day Everyone: The only amount of water that I carry around on me is a 16 ounce bottle of water, especially since it's the Summer time now! That's what I am working on now on ways to increase my water intake and not to mention when I drink the water how many bathroom trips I will have to make and that's the reason why I try to reduce my water intake when I am traveling!

5. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I rarely carry water except when I used to work in a coffee plantation. We used to wall long distances during work hours doing physical work and no water source in the vicinity. Its good to have a bottle of mineral water or a vacuumed water bottle which keeps the water cool.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    2 litres or about half a gallon at all times.

7. sanny99

sanny99 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I always carry close to 2 litres or more because I am that person that drink alot of water, in my average day i drink close to 4 litlres of water, for me its really important because my body it is always asking for water due to driking alot of water, so this make me drink much more water and I think every one should drink 2 litres of water per day it will make your body much light, it will take all the quimics that you consume and you can loose weight also if you are consistent drinking water.

8. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I usually carry a small bottle of mineral water with me since I also don't want to have trips to the bathroom when I'm commuting at work or when I'm traveling. Sometimes don't carry water especially when I know that I'm near to my destination and I can easily access potable water.

9. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I usually carry just 1 bottle at workplace. And then there are some of the clean bottled water at workplace. You can see that here the source of the water is good. But when going outside in wilderness, you can get more than 1 bottle. And for that I am guessing it'd be good to carry more than 1 bottle. That's for sure.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    because streams and rivers are fairly prolific in this part of the country when backpacking I carry 2 water canteens on a belt with maybe another in my pack.
    what is more urgent is probably a water filter as you cannot guarantee the purity of any water you find unless its a municipal supply.

11. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    At about 8lbs a gallon, weight us always a concern. Ideally you'd carry as much as possible. Water being most important to stay alive.. But being practical I feel always knowing where you can source water is at least as important as how much you carry. That may be how you determine how much you carry. If you can go from each water source to another on a pint, then you carry twice that much. You do the math :)

12. Blackfish

Blackfish Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    I prefer the Skilcraft Hydramax. It carries 120 oz. of liquid. And the case has lots of handy tie-ons for other goods, and a zippered compartment for even more goods. These are tough units, used by the military. Good stuff. I throw mine in the car during the hot Las Vegas summers, in case I get stalled or stranded, and I use them on every mountain bike excursion.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    GS AutoTech likes this.
  13. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I just got the HydroMax with a new complete Molle Rifleman load carry pack. Haven't used it yet. I have used a basic 2L hydro pack that goes into my basic hiking backpack. Works great.

Blackfish likes this.
  14. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    It depends on what I'm doing and what time of year it is, rain water is the Welsh national export. Our reservoirs supply England from Liverpool across the West Midlands and down to Dover.
    Our hills have plenty of pristine freshwater springs that need no treatment at source although I need to purify it from further downstream because of pollution from sheep farming.
    I tend to only carry a litre canteen and my filter bottle at any one time. I've no need to carry more unless it's for the dogs.

15. John Davis

John Davis Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    For Example you are asking how much water would be required to carry for 3 days. First, you won't carry three days' worth (three gallons) of water into the bug out bag with you. At 25 pounds, prohibitively heavy. Not only that, but you wouldn't be taking into account that you may get lost or injured, so you may need access to more than three gallons.
    No, you'll bring a gallon with you to start. But because you did the homework and looked for sources of water along your surival journey, you'll be able to make more potable. I use one of the Sawyer Squeez Filter Water System.
    It will filter 1 million gallons, and has a lifetime warranty. The threads on the filter fit standard soda bottles, but they come with a collapsible bladder. You can find one for about $30, if you shop around. They make a smaller one that will filter 100,000 gallons, called the mini. Further, you can get it down to the size of a cigar with the Life Straw. It will filter about 250 gallons, or, 250 days of Survival

16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It all depends on where you are, how long you expect it to be before you find more water and what the weather is like and to some extent your physical parameters.

I was raised in the coastal swamps of South East Texas. You were never far from water and in a bind you could dig a well with a trenching tool in about an hour. I usually carries a 16 ounce hip flask when I was hunting or fishing. Where I am now it is a little dryer...well it WAS before Harvey dumped all over us. I would still be comfortable trekking with a couple of quarts canteens maybe even one. In dryer areas I have a pair of military 2 quart soft side canteens in canvass with shoulder straps.

Now, Because of my age and certain medical factors I require more water. I would probably shoulder one of my 2 quart canteens most of the time at the least. I like the botas a lot too. I have a couple different sizes and they will help you stretch your water. They are the soft skin covered things that you squeeze and squirt the water into your mouth and you tend to drink less or I do any way. The big thing is that I have a BUNCH of filters and pills and powders that will make any water that I find a drinkable resource.

17. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are traveling with kids, in addition to having adequate amounts of water, remember to bring along powdered flavorings to be added to the water. Kids get dehydrated quickly and dangerously so in difficult environments. They will balk at drinking that "yucky water". So have powdered lemonade, or grape, or whatever their favorite flavors might be. Me, I always keep handy straws of powdered tea plus some sugar & saccharine packs. When I finish a soft drink, I rinse out the bottle, fill with filtered water, and shoot in a pack/straw of tea or grape drink. Can't keep reusing a plastic bottle (will begin to grow bacteria), so recycle when done.

Side note: Saccharine stretches sugar like crazy and it is NOT harmful ... unless you take in over 50 packs a day (the rat study equivalents were something like 57 packs per day; I'd get a tumor just thinking about having to do that). You can't heat some other types of artificial sweeteners and some give people diarrhea. Aspartame contains phenylalanine which gives some people royal headaches and this compound has more deleterious effects on people with genetic disorders relating to amino acid metabolism (a rare genetic condition).

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    usual minimum requirement for water consumption in this part of the country is 2.5 litres or about half a gallon per person, allowing a gallon per person would be a bonus.
    a pint weighs a pound, so a gallon would be 8 Lbs, I have a 3 pint American style canteen.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    apart from a bit of animal dung in the water, nothing much happens around here.
    the main railway lines are 50 miles or so south of here, and the branch lines were all shut in the 1960s.
    there is no heavy industry around here, this is hill farming country and steep hills at that.

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, in the long term I agree, but SHTF isn't going to be "one big bang, everything gone" sort of affair, its more likely to be a domino or cascade effect, one thing happens, this affects something else which in turn affects a 3rd thing and so on.
    SHTF itself could go on for months, maybe 6 months, hell the sheeple wont even notice it until it gets really bad, like no food in the shops, the mains water and power goes down, by then its too late for them, far too late.

Ystranc likes this.