How often do you check your BOB?

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags, and Other Craftsmanship' started by CivilDefense, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    One of the habits my wife and I got into is come every January 1st, we take out our primary Bug Out Bags (BOBs), go through each item, replace what needs replacing, discuss any changes needed, and reassemble. If nothing else, it provides some piece of mind that it is good to go.

How about you? Is it a monthly, yearly, or some other time frame task?

Thanks for sharing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My pack never changes, so no need to check it. Each time I use it I add the trail food.
    Keith.
    w39nTOAj0yLNaSOwB6MzTVLg60b8VM8W.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    don't need to check it, I have a written inventory, something comes out it comes off the list, something goes in it is added.

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I check mine every three months.
    I usually upgrade something in it each time and rotate usebys.
    Looking to upgrade my handheld GPS soon as the one I have is coming on to 15 years old! and is a little slow now!
    Researching as of today for maybe a Christmas buy!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Joe colombo

Joe colombo New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Check mine every 3 months. Living in Michigan we have a separate bag depending on if it's winter or summer. That bag gets checked every 6 months.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    Tis' good to check it just in case because some things do expire. But I think checking it every few months is a good idea. I haven't checked mine in a While (I should probably do that ASAP)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a bug out bag.
    I plan on bugging in.
    WAIT!
    Because of all of you I've changed my mind.
    "What if........................."? Fill in the blanks.
    I've convinced me that I'm safe enough on my 15 acres in N.E. Ohio.
    But .................what if I'm not?
    Who knows what could happen in a shtf situation so perhaps bugging out might be the
    best option.
    I'm but 25 miles or so from Youngstown, Ohio where crime now is rampant,.
    Drugs, rapes, murders, organized crime, druggies, drug dealers, and most are armed.
    If shtf happens they are mobile and would prey on country people for food, and whatever.
    Bugging out might be the better choice rather than try to fend off criminals with nefarious intent.
    I can't shoot everyone and don't want to hurt anyone.
    I will if need be but don't wanna.
    I am after all an army of just one and I have to sleep sometime.
    Now where to bug out too is the question.
    So I'll read what you put in a b.o.b. and go from there.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I check mine every six months or so. I keep a written packing list in all of my bags, so first, I will know what is in it, and second, should anybody else need it in a grab-and-go situation they will know what they have.

I always check batteries; both what is in any equipment and the spares. I always check lighters to make sure they still work. I always check reading glasses to make sure the correct strength are in the bag. Food will be rotated as needed.

The rest doesn't change much.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I do exactly the same thing. My list includes exp dates if applicable. I also rotate heat sensitive items every 3 months or so.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nothing in my pack can expire, it is all sustainable. I don't add the food until I am ready to leave.
    Keith.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. zulu-X-treme

zulu-X-treme Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Being in a tropical coastal environment, it's extremely humid here with day time temperatures often exceeding 30 degrees Celsius in the shade and the humidity index generally exceeding 70%-90% (depending on the season), hence, I check my BOB at least once a month.

I've found perishable items and medical supplies (First Aid Kit) take the worst 'hiding', especially plastic bottles and creams which take some serious punishment. Plasters tend to dry up and more often than not plastic bottles, due to expansion and contraction, will weep/sweat.

Knife blades will rust if kept in their sheath for extended periods of time, oiling is essential. Multi-tools also require regular lubrication.

Also, all batteries MUST be removed from items requiring them after testing, the high risk of batteries sweating acid is just to high.

Fire lighters, those soaked with an accelerant, also tend to dry up and often need to be swopped.

12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is one of the problems with not having all sustainable equipment. This is also going to happen when you are actually in a survival situation! Think about that.
    Keith.

13. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Put them inside any indoor container or cabinet along with some moisture absorbent. I'm more worried about insects than anything else.

Same as above although you might wanna consider different blade material (stainless steel base). Not sure about Multi-tools, however Swiss Army Knife rarely need to be oiled regularly, my Victorinox Outrider haven't been oiled since the day I bought it few years back.

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a GHB (Get Home Bag) that travels with me when I'm away from home. Clothing items are changed with the seasons but most items are year round.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.