How To Attract Birds In Your Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by iamawriter, Jun 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    BIRDBATH1.jpg With concrete jungles mushrooming everywhere we see a decrease in the fauna. We as individuals can play a small role in atleast to see some birds around us.
    Our garden is designed with birds in mind. We have several fruit trees and a lot of greenery around. Most importantly we have installed a bird bath where birds come to quench their thirst and have fun.

Care should be taken to see there is atleast a tree around the birdbath as birds like to preen their feathers after their bath. It is a joy to watch them spending time in the bird bath with their wonderful chirps.

Here is a slideshow of birds that visit our garden- put your speakers on for the background music

View attachment 499

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Park a flash expensive car in the front driveway!
    Run a trail of champaine bottles wrapped in cash around to the garden in question
    Done! birds galore will fill your garden!:p

Old Geezer likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Arcane the Wise, would that I could present you with a fine dram of single-malt, double-casked, 18 yr old Scotch.

4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In my youth, everyone had a garden and/or had fruit trees, apple, cherry, or pear (altitude way too high for peach). Heaven only knows how many buckets of cherries I picked for our elderly neighbors when I was a lad. My paternal grandmother grew cherry trees in addition to keeping her garden.

Our next door neighbor strung pennant strings back and forth and diagonally to chase off the birds. My grandmother would shoot roman candles into the birds (and she'd have plugged you with her .32 had you questioned her about such, God bless her).

The only reason I'd draw in birds would be so as to make blackbird pie. As a boy, I shot innumerable birds for the fun of it, for shooting practice, whatever. I've thought about buying bird feeders for survival purposes -- humans only need a small amount of meat per day.

Pennant strings:
    https://www.dodson-group.com/media/...33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/o/poly-pen-3_2.jpg

Blackbird pie recipes:
    http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/cast-iron-chef/cooking-crow-meat-recipe-blackbird-pie#page-2

https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-07-16/there-was-real-recipe-four-and-twenty-blackbirds-baked-pie

5. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Drink it in my stead as I do not partake of Alcohol in any form! but thank you for the offer!

6. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Probably you did not see my slide show of birds. Those birds do not need expensive cars:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    To maintain the ecology you need birds. Seems you have been brought up in a different environment where only food gets top priority.

DirtDiva likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes.

9. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Yes they do, they use them as target practise!

10. quit13quinn

quit13quinn New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I have a little knowledge of that, that might help you out. Birds are very social creatures that typically come in the form of many, if your garden is full of variety of different plant life then you just made a little easier for you. Another if the area you live is more of a secluded place from noisy cities than that another step out the way. But the biggest one is leaving resources for the birds to come to, food, water, and some form of shelter and you'll see that your garden has made a few friends.

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the only way to get birds into your garden is to feed them, set up a feeding station in your garden and feed them every day, its what we do and we get loads of birds in our garden every and all day.

12. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    There is quite a simple idea usually known as a wildlife corridor. It describes the existence of a series of joined up parcels of land containing appropriate food, water and habitat to attract diverse species and allow space for genetic diversity within those species. These days people seem obsessed with tidiness in their gardens and green spaces, this need for control is squeezing the wildlife out of the gaps between our homes and isolating wildlife into decreasing spaces. In order for you to attaract birds you will need to get people who control reasonably large areas of land to plant flora to fruit, seed or attract insects and animals. Wild birds will not exist in a vaccume.
    It's even more important for migratory birds to have a chain of habitat parcels along their migratory route. Cut out one parcel of habitat, just one link and the chain is broken.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's more usual for wild animals rather than birds, birds aren't so dependant on moving from one wild area to another as they can fly, they fly huge distances so moving a short hop onto another green area isn't so hard as it would be for a squirrel or a deer say.

14. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I live in a farm, there are plants and trees in my front yard and back yard. My garden is visited by birds of various species. Even the migratory birds come during the winter and rainy season. One of the most important things to consider if you want to attract birds is have a well built garden. If you have trees and shurbs, birds will surely flock into your place. Secondly, you can also place grain or any other bird feeds in your garden. Having a small pond will also attract birds.

15. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I noticed that birds hide in your tree even if you don't have too many plants. It doesn't necessarily a fruit bearing tree, but a tree that they can hide them which has lots of leaves. Although some birds like eating fruit-bearing trees.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    true, our garden is an oasis of plants, trees and shrubs, very bird friendly, most of the other gardens are nothing more than kids playgrounds with the ubiquitous trampoline.
    well, no one will let their little ones outside to play will they? there might be a "pervert" hiding around every corner!!:rolleyes:

17. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Oh please, there is a big difference between encouraging breeding populations of birds and having a few blue tits visiting a bird feeder. Every little counts but having a songbird roost in a tree isn't the same as a pair of them nesting and raising a brood. Each bird species has different requirements, their own ecological niche. What about the raptors, the average garden does nothing for them. Think about the big picture.

18. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    The birdbath gives me the opportunity to see them in action at close quarters. As I have said it enjoy clicking them in action. It is placed where I have full view from my hall The only time I do not see them is when we have guests.