How to choose a survival knife

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by itsmedave, Sep 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. itsmedave

itsmedave Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    A survival knife is a special tool for us, so we must choose it wisely. When searching for the best survival knife for my needs, I realized we need to be aware of some important aspects before purchasing the knife.

• A survival knife usually has a heavy and thick blade.
    • The ideal overall length would be 9-11″
    • The ideal blade length would be 4-6″.
    • Fixed blade knives guarantee more durability and reliability; Folding knives do have their advantages though: they are easy to carry and they’re perfect for everyday simple tasks.
    • For the best survival knife, you can choose either a clip point or a drop point blade.
    • The best handle materials are polymer and rubber.

I wrote many other points on my website. I also provide some recommendations.

What do you think? What are your guides when searching for a capable survival knife? What knives do you own?

I personally have the Gerber Bear Grylls and I'm happy with it.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Personally I prefer a blade longer than 6 inches for hunting & defence. I carry three knives, my hunting knife, a legging knife, & a clasp knife. The hunting knife is for skinning & butchering & self-defence. The shorter bladed legging knife is a back-up to my hunting knife. The clasp knife is for camp chores & making trap triggers.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my favourite knife is an old sheath knife, for daily use I always have with me a folding lock knife.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Survival knives are a Hollywood fantasy!

Whats needed is a small blade for little stuff and a machete/tomahawk or similar for big stuff!

Those so called survival knives do nothing any good, damn useless over priced junk!

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A good sheath knife made by a good company buck kabar gerber old timer case are great it dont have to be big to work just made of good steel i use my pocket knife most of the time its a old timer 3 blade and has never let me down its allways in my pocket

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A good sheath knife of quaity steel is great mine is a western its under 6ins in total length has never let me down in 50 years of use mostly tho i use my old timer 3 blade pocket knife it too has many years of use

7. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I am not a one good knife guy! I have lost too many good knives for that.
    I am a many reasonable knife guy, I have many decent but not expensive knives all over the place!
    Each ammo pouch has a razor sharp folding knife at the bottom same as most other pouch's I have
    and they each have a small tungsten sharpener to go with them!

Chinese steel has come a long way in the last two decades! I have several $20 chinese folders that out perform my $200 Buck!