How to eat less food

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by remnant, Jun 16, 2016.

How to eat less food 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I have discovered that if one goes for long periods of time without eating, the body conditions itself to the obtaining condition and one no longer feels serious hunger pangs. When you actually begin eating, do so in smaller bites and chew thoroughly to allow the stomach to register the prescence of food. Eating at specific times also wires one's physiology to expect food at a certain time and less at that.

Karen Martin and cluckeyo like this.
  2. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I've actually experienced a shortage of food at some point in my life. It's not too bad, if you can get through the first while. Having minimal food, you can just ration it out, and it won't be as bad. Sure your body will feel like it needs food, but you can do things like sleep. Sleep often take the hunger pain away, and by the time you're awake, you won't feel as awful anymore. I don't know medically why that is, but I do know that it happens like that.

Karen Martin likes this.
  3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    In order to rationing food properly you should be able to tell how much calories your available provitions provide. Also you need to find alternatives to supply the temporary lack of calories intake as soon as possible. Otherwise, you're just extending your agony.

4. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If you constantly felt hungry, you could not function as well, so the body adjusts and accepts the fact that famine is upon you, and reduces hunger pangs accordingly. It's funny how after sleep I never feel hungry in the morning, yet often do 4-5 hours after breakfast and lunch.

5. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    You can actually condition and habituate your body for less consumption of food. Dieters eat small portions of food at frequent intervals of time. It actually enhances metabolism and best utilizes the consumed food. So, instead of 3 basic meals, one can have 5 to 6 meals. I think this is common knowledge.

However, if you habituate your body for low intake of food, your body will soon accustom to the new regimen. This way, you can stay leaner, fitter, and stronger. However, the BMR needs to be taken into account. This does not apply to a survival situation, of course. In a survival situation, the total emphasis is on staying alive.

6. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Your body does adjust to your eating habits and regiment. It's all about conditioning and the types of food you are eating. Any type of food that spikes your insulin levels will make you get hungry faster during the day. Those food that contain, sugar, carbs and starches will make you hungry quicker. That how I lost a lot of weight. I ate nothing but animal protein and fat, and lots of raw veggies.

7. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Consuming 200-300 less calories than the recommended number to maintain your current body weight is typically healthy and helps the body ward off certain types of ailments include a few types of cancer. The largest downside to this otherwise healthy reduction of food is the fact that once your body becomes adapted to the lower caloric intake, ingesting an extra 200-300 calories per day to return to the normal recommended caloric intake will cause the body to start storing these extra calories as fat causing weight gain.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    less food? I think the problem post collapse will be getting ENOUGH food.

9. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree with pretty much everyone else on this... if you condition your body it will be easier do in the long run.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the good times maybe, but not after the collapse.

11. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Put less food in your face. That is my honest advice to everyone. People think that quantity is what matters when eating but it is all about quality. You should find your golden ratio between burning and taking calories in and of course the amount of proteins, minerals and everything else. For example, watercress, quinoa, hemp seeds and flax have more of everything that you need with low calorie intake. Add some healthy calories through nuts and cheese and you are going to feel great.

12. HealthandVitality

HealthandVitality New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I agree and that is how I now live. I started reducing the amount of food I eat and it did not seem to matter any more because my brain got the message that that amount of food was all I was going to put in my stomach and my body adjusted accordingly. I now cannot eat as much as I used to because after a few mouth fulls am done, I have lost weight without any expensive gym memberships or special diets. I have come from a size 16 to a size 8 and I feel great because I discovered that it is all in the mind and I do not intend to return to that uncomfortable size.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "how to eat less food", answer: put less in your gob!!:D

14. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think learning how to control your eating can definitely help. If you have a lack of food just eating what's necessary will help you survive longer.
    Of course I feel way more comfortable having an abundance of food. Still I usually keep a healthy diet so that helps me with self control.

15. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My doctor told me that the reason you don't need to eat as much after long periods of not eating very much is because your stomach shrinks. This can be a good thing, if you need to cut back. But it can also be a bad thing if you are too skinny. Some times your body tricks you into thinking your not hungry all the while you are lacking key nutrients.

16. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    True, if you condition yourself with less intake of food then comes the survival situation where finding food is such a massive struggle, then it wouldn't really have that much impact on you, at least in the food department since you're long used to consuming small amount of food. I guess i should should fasting soon. lol

17. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I think it would be better to concentrate more on how you can get enough food. You could eat less food, your body may after a while be conditioned to that but it will take a toll on you. You'll be weak. If you are weak you won't be able to defend yourself in case you are attacked or you may not even be able hunt or forage. From there you odds of survival keep creeping down . . .

18. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I can most definitely honor the eating less food motto, because I already do it now! I have to moderate my food to make sure my family of ten have enough to eat while I maintain the bills and the other mortgage and work to keep things at flow so I eat moderate and if I go out to eat I order kids meals to be cost effective and to reduce my food intake since obesity runs in my family as well!

19. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have tried this before and you are so right. My church sometimes will do a special fast for at least 3 days. It's really hard the first day. If you are a coffee addict like me, it's super hard because I start to go through the withdrawal symptoms and have extreme headaches. By day two it's pretty easy and day three, I don't really feel hunger. Fasting is good too because it helps to get rid of the toxin in the body. Afterward, the body can fill up so quickly eating very little.

20. katjamas

katjamas New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    It's just a matter of getting used to it. If you just don't have that much food stocked up, you will have to skip some meals or eat in smaller portions. At first the mind will of course fight back and give signals that you are hungry, but in time you will get used to it and get by on smaller amounts.

21. Jaydon A.

Jaydon A. New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I have never tried fasting for long periods of time, only during Yom Kippur when I have to fast for 24 hours. Anyway, it seems like an interesting idea to condition yourself to eat less. It might be uncomfortable at first, it probably has good health benefits in the long run.

22. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Most people eat more then what they really do need to. If you can get used to eating more often during the day you will find that your energy levels will always remain high and that you need less food to do so.

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    dieting is one thing, going without food is something else.
    going without food in a SHTF situation when we will need high amounts of energy to do all the things we need to do, may not be the best thing to do.

24. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    If you constantly felt hungry, you could not function as well, so the body adjusts and accepts the fact that famine is upon you, and reduces hunger pangs accordingly. It's funny how after sleep I never feel hungry in the morning, yet often do 4-5 hours after breakfast and lunch.

25. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I think that would be counter productive. Because some people need specific amount of calorie in their body. So it'd be healthy if they get specific nutrition value out of it. That way they don't have to eat less or more. Just the right amount. So it all comes down to how we eat and how much is required by the body. That's what I am thinking about.