How To Find A Way In Forest If Youre Lost?

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Pady, Jun 1, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pady

Pady New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    It's normal thing to get lost in a deep forest. There so many opinions about it. What do you think? How will you find a way ?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    mark your path as you go, maybe a blaze on a tree or a bit of cloth on a branch, if you do it as you go and you come across your blaze or cloth you know you've gone around in a circle.

kgord likes this.
  3. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    There is the proverbial trail of breadcrumbs! :pHowever, I think the ants might eat those! I don't really know other than keeping track of your turns, try to make all right turns or something. I walked in a forest a few times which is one that encompasses many acres. I made absolutely sure I did not veer from the path, because you could have been lost in there literally for days.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Pady, please go to this article already posted on this forum: Lost Survival http://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/lost-survival.2989/
    Regards, Keith.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    First things first, learn how to avoid getting lost in the forest by keeping track of the sun - it is actually for the purpose of determining direction of east and west (north and south as well). And when you had lost your bearings on the location, check for the position of the sunlight. That way, you have at least the right direction to go to. In another thread, I said that I had wanted to test the GPS on my phone if it would work in the wilderness. And if it works then that's the answer. And if not then you have to make sure that you are going back in the right direction with the help of the sun.

6. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Do not panic. Take a knee and plan you strategy. Find a way to identify your North. Dont waste to much energy. Look for running water such as streams.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    http://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/lost-survival.2989/

8. rose thornes

rose thornes New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I don't have sense of direction I easily get lost. But if I get lost in the forest I probably mark the trees or look for the nearest streams or river to follow.

9. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I would climb a tall tree and scan for landmarks and any sign of human activity in the distance. It also pays to listen to the sounds in the forest keenly. I read the odyssey of a senior citizen who got lost in the dense equatorial jungles of South America and kept moving in circles for days unaware that he was just next to the road when if heard tin sound of a vehicle.

1. Keith H.
      Keith H., Jul 18, 2017
  10. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    As what lonewolf said, you should always mark your pathways or the road if you are unsure about the place. That is by far the best method in order to avoid being lost.

11. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Since I don't expect to suddenly appear in an unfamiliar forest, I would take a compass with me if headed to any wilderness area I am not familiar with. I would also not venture into a forest without knowing direction to nearest exit from the forest and use the compass to go that direction.