How To Grow Trees

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by DecMikashimota, Jul 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I want to learn how to grow different types of trees. I am thinking of starting with oak, but I gradually want to move onto fruit baring trees so that when I finally own land, I can start an orchard. Does anyone have any experience with cultivating trees or orchards? Would I need some sort of licensing, I would love some input.

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Plant your fruit trees first allso walnut and other nuts that will grow in your zone if you are in zone that will let you plant citrus allso plant them buy good healthy started trees to plant then plant oak hickory maple and others hardwood trees

DecMikashimota likes this.
  3. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have heard about some of the started trees and thought that I should avoid them. I've heard that some places that sell started trees have been patenting their rare species of trees using new technology. This lead me to believe that they were genetically modified and because I am unsure about how to confirm that I am getting organic started trees I wanted to start from scratch.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I grow blueberries plums apples peaches pears grapes all with starts that came from tractor supply store. They all grew well and produce well. The nut trees we sttarted ourselves from trees on our land they allso grew well and produce well the started trees produce quicker than seed trees

5. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:

Is it true that a lot of the seeds that are sold nowadays are only productive for one season and will bare fruits with unproductive seeds? Is that the reason why you buy already started trees?

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I am from a tropical country so our trees are tropical fruits - mango, star fruit, sugar apple, cashew, mulberry and small trees like lemon, local citrus called calamansi, dragon fruit, camias, etc. With fruits, it is more interesting because you get excitement with the prospect of harvesting when the tree would bear fruits. Can you imagine harvesting hundreds of mangoes several times in one fruiting season? There was a season when our mango tree gave us more than 500 fruits in one season. With the sugar apple, our 2 trees are prolific such that we harvest more than 20 fruits in a month with the fruiting continuing for several months.

I would suggest that you plant fruit trees that you prefer so that when it bears flowers, you will be excited no end.