How to harvest protein using your eyes, ears, nose and hands.

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by beepete, Oct 8, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. beepete

beepete Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    The bush in New Zealand and in many places on the planet is a larder filled with food. I learned this technique from my dog.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I do not recommend you use this method, (& neither does the author of this video) if you are injured in a survival situation you will be far worse off than just being hungry. There are safer methods of making meat.
    Keith.

3. beepete

beepete Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Keith. Fortunately we don't have rabies or any other nasties in Nz. Though a nasty infection from a bite could certainly be very dangerous in a survival (or non survival) situation. I make my living as a possum trapper and handle them every day, I have only been bitten once, but trust me it hurt.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I for one would be interested in knowing about the traps & bait that you use to catch possums beepete. I have trapped them myself form time to time, but there is always more to learn. I have trapped them in rabbit boxes & in leg hold snares. The snares were not meant for the possums, but they got caught anyway!!! A b*gger to set them free again!!!
    Regards, Keith.

5. beepete

beepete Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Hi Keith. I have got a few videos up on you tube about trapping. https://www.youtube.com/user/possumpeter and will be posting a series of them over the next few months. Possums are a real problem in NZ (they were introduced from Australia and have devastated a lot of out native flora and fauna). A good living can be made from possum fur, fiber and controlling them. I am trying to encourage young people to drag themselves away from their computers and get out into the creation and smell the roses. Sue and I live in a house truck and travel the North Island of New Zealand making our living from the bush.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I heard about the Possum problem in NZ. Young people don't get out in the bush as much as they used to, modern technology & the cities have drawn them aside. Sounds like you have a great life there beepete, if I were not living in a forest myself I would be jealous.
    I will check out your video channel mate, thank you.
    Regards, Keith.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=public

7. beepete

beepete Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Keith. Am just about to hunker down for the evening and watch your channel. Thanks for the link.

Keith H. likes this.