How to Maintain Focus?

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Kev Brown, May 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    With so much to learn and there being so many ways to improve yourself. What is the best thing to focus on in order to be able to maintain a survivalist mindset long-term? I live in the UK and there isn't a massive threat of disaster here, there also isn't an option of moving to a warmer, more desolate part of the country like some people can do in the US.
    As a result, what should I focus on in order to be able to keep going for years and years?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I live in the UK too, some parts of the UK are more remote than others.
    you don't think there is a massive threat of disaster here? your wrong. we may not get tornado's or hurricanes and earthquakes but everything else that applies elsewhere applies here too.

3. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    What is it you think can happen here? Personally, the major worry I think maybe a reality is a terrorist action. I understand there is always the possibility of a plane crashing in a city or a random gas explosion but compared to people in the US I think the scope of potential disasters is greatly reduced. Earthquakes and hurricanes are guaranteed to hit certain areas of the planet, when you're not facing those problems it makes it easier to relax and get comfortable.

4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    To maintain focus you should set well and clear your objective. That will help with keeping away your mind from losing time in vague thoughts and doubts. Wandering around without any goal in mind, even for survival, achieves nothing.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    like I said, apart from tornadoes and hurricaines anything that happens elsewhere will happen here.
    I can make you a list but i'm sure you've done your research, or have you??:rolleyes:
    don't get too comfortable or you might not see it happening.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    For me it is an investment and a hobby. The idea is worth spending time on. I like being prepared. There is really no way to fully prepare for every possible disaster, but if I put thought into it, I can find a lot of ways to improve my chances in case a survival situation arises. Having this mindset also helps me think correctly about other areas of my life. It may be a personal financial situation, or a health issue. If I tilt my focus to think first about how to best make it through, then I am really using survival skills, and this trains me for the next situation. And for any situation that may arise.

Kev Brown likes this.
  7. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    This is a great approach. Being prepared for whatever may happen in life is something you can always focus on as you can shift your attention to whatever issue becomes more pressing in life. I know disasters can happen, it's just difficult to maintain the zeal for surviving an unknown threat long term.

8. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Lol, yes I've done my research. The main major problem that would require stockpiling of food and trying to survive the breakdown of society would be an economic collapse. This is definitely a possibility, although we would expect other countries to collapse first and the UK to follow. I think it's practical to have enough supplies to be able to last you anywhere from 3 months to a year. I personally find it difficult to plan for a complete breakdown in society as this would mean the entire infrastructure we are used to would cease to work. This can be difficult to take in.

9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Focusing on your next objective will help to maintain your focus. When you're concentrating on something that is going to effect your survival, focus comes with ease. I would keep in mind that what you need to get done is essential to helping you survive through whatever it is your dealing with at the moment. If you have access to any sort of music, that might help ease your mind as you try to stay focused on your task. I'd also suggest chewing gum. For some reason chewing gum helps you concentrate, since you're so focused on chewing the whole time.

10. NormaD

NormaD New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I would mostly focus on training my mind and conditioning myself for the future survival. Once you have your mind and you're confident that you can get through any situation, then you already stand a much better chance than most other people.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have 3 core systems, communication, finance/banking, and the power grid. the failure of any one of these will cause the collapse of the other 2 within a matter of days or weeks at most, this will result in the collapse of civilisation as we know it.
    some people think we have come to far to fail, I just say we have that much further to fall.

12. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Good points, I think the mental aspect of survival is the most crucial. If you can create a mindset that allows you to flourish in all situations then you are able to keep your spirits up long term. For many just getting through their day at work takes a lot of survival spirit!