How to Make Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by SurvivalNerd, Apr 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SurvivalNerd

SurvivalNerd Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to gardening plants, they will grow with healthy soil and Water. Being able to make your plants healthy or so that you get larger yields from them is essentially a primary goal of anyone especially in a survival situation. Organic fertilizer is a great way to boost your plants Fertilizer is not very difficult to make. You can simply add cow manure to soil and allow it to sit for a few weeks.
    [​IMG]
    If you are going to be gardening in one spot for a long period of time, you can make piles of the soil that sit for months becoming better and better over time. Also, a compost pile is a great way to attract healthy living organisms such as worms to help aggregate your soil. By adding old food particles and leftovers mixed in with soil when the food breaks down it infuses the soil with all sorts of nutrients. This kind of stinky rotten soil makes great fertilizer for your plants.
    [​IMG]
    Between the manure and compost, one of these is sure to give you a great fertilizer for all your gardening needs. If you are growing a small garden, you can make your fertilizer in 5-gallon buckets by filling them a quarter to a half way withhold food or manure and the other half to three-quarters of the way with dirt. This is a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it especially if you want a great organic fertilizer.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Tessa

Tessa Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Compost is great for plants, and the best part is that it's free. I keep chickens, so I have a never-ending source of chicken manure. It's great fertilizer, but it's too high in nitrogen to use "fresh" because it'll burn plants. I found that out the hard way when I tried to hurry my compost bin up and used some too soon, it wreaked havoc on my little seedling bed. Patience is key, keep the compost pile fed and turned and give it time, and you'll be rewarded with the best fertilizer ever.

3. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Food and other kitchen waste can also be made into fertilizer. You get rid of the waste and at the same time keep your plants healthy. It's a win-win situation. Not all kitchen wastes can be made into compost though. The best wastes to compost are fruit and vegetable wastes, old bread, tea bags, egg shells and the like. Be sure not to compost meat or fish wastes though because they attract maggots and rodents! You wouldn't want that on your plants!

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    plant and animal waste is alright but anything "woody" takes too long to break down, and is not used for that reason.

5. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    It's also handy to plant legumes on depleted soil. You can either do it on your entire area of plantations or in a spot of soil that you will later dig up and distribute over your land.
    Basicaly all legumes tend to place organic compounds of nitrogen in the soil where they are planted, and they are used in agriculture to revitalise over-harvested soil.

Tessa likes this.
  6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Our main fertilizer at home is the water that we used to rinse meat and fish. The blood and other substances from the meat and fish serve as good fertilizer especially for the fruiting trees and plants. The lemon tree loves that kind of fertilizer that it never runs out of fruit.

My husband's best fertilizer is the horse manure. And since my brother is a race horse trainer, we would go to the ranch to get a sack of horse manure. It would be spread for drying and after a week (2 weeks is best), it will be mixed with the soil that will be used as fertilizer. Just take note that the dried manure is hot and it can kill small plants like vegetable seedlings. It is recommended for grown plants and trees only. Also, irrigation is required when you apply fertilizer to hasten the "feeding" of the plants.

7. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I was always told that scraps from the kitchen serve use as a fertilizer. I just made me a small garden in my backyard just to lean how to pant. This post is very informative. Sometimes fertilizer can be very expensive to stock up on but if I am in a survival situation then now I know what to do. Thank you!

8. amonda

amonda New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Quite possibly the easiest way to make your own fertilizer is making use of what would be considered as trash from fruits and vegetables. Overtime it will decompose and you will get some really good and inexpensive fertilizer.

9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    This thread from years ago is time to be resurrected . We are now facing a world wide fertilizer shortage . Now to compound the problem of a fertilizer shortage is global famine and runaway food prices . I hope you guys have already prepared for the fertilizer shortage . Things are going to get interesting .

TMT Tactical likes this.