How To Use Sound to Your Advantage

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    Sound is a very useful technique in survival if you have the knowledge to use it. If you have stairs or deadfall traps you can use rock, sticks, falling branches for making noise and where ever you go, finding a stick and a tree can work as well. If you do not know how to make traps, you can make the animals find its way to the edge of a cliff or big fall. It's a little inhumane but if the situation calls for it's what you have to do to survive. If you are trying to fend off a predator and you are not hunting a flaming stick can be used by slamming it against the tree or throwing rocks on larger rock and making a lot of noise might scare it off. But if you come across a bear I doubt any of those would work, and I would run.
    upload_2016-1-21_16-43-50.png
    You can also set up branches in trees that connect to a string that goes around the perimeter of your camp, so it acts of like a tripwire and the following material alarms you when an animal trips it. If you are lucky can use sound to attract animals such as animal calls or simple noises if they are curious and take care of them in your own creative way. Hang stuff around where you store your food will help you out with the pests as well. In laying down, a bunch of leaves around your camp will notify you when something is walking around your camp also. Now you have the knowledge of sound in your survival book.

Ricky Jeringan likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am always amazed how little some people realise how far noise will carry in a survival situation.
    I suppose that there is so much background noise in everyday life that most people think this is normal.

Ricky Jeringan likes this.
  3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    In the still of night out bush you can hear cars over ten km away and the early morning train can be heard over 25km away!
    people talking around a campfire can be heard over 5km away!
    very tricky sometimes!

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    you say to some people "whats that noise?" and they reply " what noise?", people are so oblivious these days, I can hear noises from at least a mile away and that's with the normal background noises of everyday life, post collapse when they no longer go on I will be able to hear sounds from much further.

5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I actually despite decades of shooting have very good hearing for my age but in the last few years have taken to wearing cheap hearing aids while hunting!
    They really help a lot! They amplify sound generally heaps, once you get used to it it is like sound becomes your major sence instead of your sight!
    As the hearing aid has a max 120db you also get hearing protection!

A cheap sneaky Ace up your sleeve!:D

6. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Recently in the US somebody was attacked by a bear and decided to run, he was only lucky. I have had several encounters with fierce dogs and can testify to the effect of sound as a deterrent. One thing you have to note though, you have to stand your ground but if the animal happens to be hard headed, walk backwards with high decibel notes ringing as you look for a quick or stone in preparation for mounting a defence.