How & Where Do You Carry Your Blades?

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Keith H., Nov 28, 2016.

How & Where Do You Carry Your Blades? 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    How & Where do you carry your blades?
    Obviously they need to ride comfortably on the trail, but more importantly they need to be easily accessible at all times using one hand only. Can you sit down comfortably without your blades getting in the way?
    F-KAPseWINO1iuFCHVuOPc9SnlYknZOb.png My hunting knife is secured under my belt, easily accessible at any time with either hand.
    F-KAPseWINO1iuFCHVuOPc9SnlYknZOb.png
    My legging knife is easily accessible one handed even if I am grappling with an attacker.
    F-KAPseWINO1iuFCHVuOPc9SnlYknZOb.png
    Here you can see the helve of my axe sticking out from under the bottom of my knapsack, where it is secured under my belt. With my pack on it is still easily accessible to my left hand.

Mekada likes this.
  2. Mekada

Mekada Master Survivalist
      270/345

Blog Posts:
    Those are great weapons... I carry large knives when I am in the bush. For everyday life I always have a pocket knife with me and as the cliche goes it did save my life. It rests comfortably in my pocket and due to its rounded design it all but dissappears in my pocket. I can open it up rather quickly and it is always accessible.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I really love your leggings Keith!!:D:D

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Keith H. and Mekada like this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I carry a friction blade clasp knife in my waistcoat pocket when trekking, my every day clasp knife is simply carried in my trousers pocket.
    Keith.

5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like them too, they protect my legs from the brush & hopefully snakes too. My moccasins have extended flaps, so they wrap around my lower leg going above the ankle.
    Keith.

6. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    That is awesome and for most things all you will need. My bush knife is not so cool though. I am not so impressed with it. It seems poorly made out of a cheap steel... Not even the 440 stainless steel as advertised. It dulls easily, the handle is polymer, and the rivets are atrocious. IMG-20161025-WA0016.jpeg

7. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Oh and by the way, that saw bit at the top is useless at cutting down thick branches

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am not a great fan of modern knives, though I have owned some in the past. Dual purpose knives I dislike, I had one, Puma White Hunter. Did not do a decent job at anything. Traditionally knives had a specific purpose, & that is the way it should be. A belt axe or tomahawk in my opinion is a far better choice than a saw because it can be used for shelter & trap construction & self-defence. I prefer the oval or round tapered eye of the tomahawk, because this makes the helve easier to make & fit in a wilderness situation.

I suggest you get yourself a good butcher knife, even an old second hand carbon steel one. Good for skinning & butchering & defence.
    Keith.

Mekada likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    like most people I have a selection of knives but my 3 most favourite are the oldest, a sheath knife I took off a young lad who didn't want it any more, a bowie knife and a knife with a broad but thin blade..very old with a wooden handle. I have a few Mora bushcraft knives but these 3 are the ones I would carry most of the time.

Mekada and Keith H. like this.
  10. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    I plan to. Thank you for the advice. This time I am going to buy it in person and inspect it myself to see if it is any good. I have always wanted a axe for carrying and made myself one from tool steel. Before i could finish the handle it mysteriously disappeared from my workbench. I agree a jack of all trades knife isn't particularly good at anything.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. shadyjff1

shadyjff1 Active Member
      33/50

Blog Posts:
    I have 3 Buck knives a Gerber and just picked up a Mora knife. My wife asked me how many knives I needed and I told her I’ll let her know when I get there. Don’t like the Gerber , but the rest are great knives.

Keith H. likes this.
  12. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    When bush I carry several small light knives on me, usually one in each boot, one either side of my belt and at least one more in my pack!
    I also keep either a machete or light axe in/on the pack

When not bush I keep a all stainless folder in a pocket!

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Speaking of using one hand, I like the Kershaw line, Speedsafe "Assisted Opening". With the flick of a finger, the blade opens much like a switchblade sans button. These are available in several sizes. I don't carry them for self-defense but for work, splicing wires, cutting tubing, on and on and on, I flick one open every day at work. Invariably one has a wire in one's left hand and needs to splice it away from your tool crib, poof out comes the knife.

I have had these on the ready when I thought I might have to cut some sleazy looking #### "human". Twice men pulled a knife on my dad's dad. Once he chased the fellow off. The other time he shot the idiot in his scrote. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

If a felt I might have to do another man absent a firearm, I'd use a narrow, very heavy spined hunting knife, with a double edge at the tip. When a boy, my combat-seasoned uncle let me have his Army issue camillus dagger and M1 Garand bayonet (the latter really smelled bad). A high school instructor, retired officer special forces, taught us kids how to stab a person so that they wouldn't be able to scream, plus bleed to death rather rapidly (they were getting us boys ready for Vietnam; I just missed, being a year or two too young, that nasty adventure). In the South, boys go to war and come back with medals on their chest or come back in a box.

It is a task stabbing into a person. It's not TV. You have to hit HARD. Thus spears were developed.

Keith H. likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Were I without a firearm, until I got time to finish my homemade gun and propellants, I'd fashion myself a spear-like thingy. It would have a central shaft 3 1/2 ft to 4 ft. long. On either end, I fix a 6 inch knife blade with heavy spine. A lawnmower blade can be cut in half and ground into two separate blades.

With the double-bladed spear, I would affix one or two handles perpendicular to the central shaft so that I could get a rigid hold on this beast. I would wrap the central shaft with leather and when using it would be wearing leather gloves and a leather coat. On the shaft nearest the blades, I would affix razor blades and paint the middle of them the same color as the shaft. If someone were to attempt to grab this weapon away from me, they would grab the razor blades -- at which time, I would jerk the weapon so as to slice the tendons in their hands so that they would no longer be able to use their fingers ever again.

Battery acid is another weapon to throw in the face of aggressors. In a riot situation, remember to have your leather clothing, leather or chemical-resident gloves, face shield, and helmet.

Put out your enemy's eyes, crush their noses, rip their genitals, and throw home-made napalm on them. Drive some old vehicle into them. Make them walk on up-turned nails (you must wear your steel-toed & steel bottomed boots). Pen-in dogs that have gone wild and feed them with rotten meat, this so that when put upon, you can turn these monsters loose on your attackers -- rats work well also, plus you can eat the rats. Rats can be fed with any kind of scraps, rotten food and soured milk.

Remember, the screams of your enemies is music to the ears. It is a dark form of theater and a portent to those who would follow that which soon awaits them. Fatten up your dogs and rats with that which is left of those who attempted to attack your families. "Waste not, want not."