How would you go about informing your family about prepping and survivalism?

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Correy, Jun 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    Obviously when you're the only prepper in your family it's hard to get some things done, not to mention the spouse might get suspicious of the amount of funds going down the drain due to this little project.

I heard anough stories to realise it's bad to keep your family oblivious, because if you somehow die before you show them your stash and plan, then all your prepping will go to waste. Also if you inform them but they don't understand the value of what you do they might squander all your stocked goods here and there without you knowing anything, and 'poof', one day after all your meticulous efforts you are left with an empty storage.

Being a medic myself, it's not hard for me to explain the value of what I stock, because most of it is handy in every situation, be it medical supplies or preserved food. Since I'm the one who calls the shots on what ends up on the table or what med supplies are used, I don't have to worry about it being squandered without me knowing about it.

I guess that I would at least demand from my family to leave a sticky note on the door of the storage to let me know how much of what they have taken...because there's high chance they might actually immediatiely need what's in the storage.

The first one who inducted my family into prepping was my dad, who having some military training went on to teach us about basic supply storing and how to rotate through the food stock etc. My parents once came a hair too close to a political craze back when they were still engaged, and so they tend to see eye to eye in matters of preparedness.

How would you go about informing your family?

PriscillaKing likes this.
  2. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Currently, I have not told teenage son as he is a worrier. My plan, should he start asking questions, is to use tornado's as an excuse. We have lots of tornado warnings and watches in my area of Texas so that will satisfy him. But, if I mention economic collapse or something equally as serious he would worry about those scenarios for days.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    When I still lived with my parents, my father was quite the prepper, as are both of my grandmothers. My mom, not so much. Luckily, I seem to have gotten my father's weariness, as I definitely am prepared for terrible circumstances.

As a kid, aside from my grandmothers telling me their secrets of surviving during the Great Depression and growing up in rural New Jersey regions, I met with Holocaust survivors who also told me how to survive in the rough. My father, too, imparted on me some of his wisdom. When it comes to family and friends, none of these people beat around the bush, so to speak. They launched straight into the issue. After all, life isn't all sugar-coated and kind. There are times when life punches you in the face. I was literally told, "Look, if thing's get rough, this is how you survive. If you don't remember this advice, you're not going to live long." Is telling a child about your survival horror stories a little harsh? Probably, but I've never forgotten these people and their wisdom.

In the long run, should I ever have kids, I'd probably tell them the same thing. Straight and to the point.

4. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think the best way to inform your family is by giving them examples. It's really hard for people to understand why being prepared is necessary until they see what happens when you aren't. You can show them news stories about natural disasters and how much problems can occur when someone isn't prepared for them. This is something that should be taken seriously, I noticed that once my family reaped the benefits of me taking precautions for emergencies they didn't have a problem with me doing this.

5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I am/was a competition shooter so all my gun stuff was needed to compete or so said I :D
    Food wise I was taking advantage of specials or just making sure not to run out!
    As a regular hunter/camper most of the other stuff is covered!

Been single for a while now so that's not a problem but care for granny (live in) and she thinks I am batshxt crazy so ignore her!
    Only thing I tell her is if she ever sees me running is to get in front!:oops:
    No one within kilometres of me knows I got anything and I like it that way.

So do not inform family you are a prepper or anything of the sort, just keep it to yourself!
    Take up camping, or sport shooting

6. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it all depends on the family. No one knows your family better than you do. Most have probably taught their family stuff along the way, it's just they didn't know it was prepping or for survival. But in general, the less people know the better. Usually every one plays a role within a team so take your time and be patient. Explain whatever is necessary to get them to understand, even if you don't go into grave details.

Prepping is something that we've always done. Getting from one century to the next, from one age or even decade or century to the next one. It's how we have survived. Being able to survive without the luxuries if something happens tomorrow should be just as important and relevant to them as surviving with today's system. Eventually, once they get on board, dig a little deeper. Possibly even ask for suggestions. One important thing to do is to never lie. If they ask a question, answer it as best as you can.

7. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    One thing my parents did that I would not recommend was trying to make things sound like fun when they're not. "Well, we're just going to do without electricity tonight and watch the firelight all evening"? Does not cut it when you're twelve years old, you have homework, and you already know that the kind of thunderstorm that passed by earlier in the day tends to cause power outages.

One thing they did that I would recommend is emphasizing the Scouts idea of "being prepared for anything"--good or bad. Wherever you are, sometimes there's not going to be electricity, so it's good to have a fireplace and candles. Sometimes cars aren't going to run, so it's good to be accustomed to walking.

My parents thought they weren't supposed to teach us anything at all about money--I don't know, they were a different generation. I had some problems with money (meaning I thought theft was clever) as a kid, so when my adoptive sister / foster daughter had similar problems I had a clue that teaching her how money does not just grow from the lint in adults' pockets might help--which it did. I think most children can handle the concepts of money, property, and frugality...and the idea that, if we know how to survive without various conveniences, we're not enslaved to those conveniences and can choose to do other things with money.

8. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I talk about it regularly and show videos from Youtube and other sources of the dangers of not being prepared. I also like to point to hurricane Katrina as a example of what can happen when SHTF.