How Would You Survive Nuclear Fallout?

Discussion in 'Nuclear War' started by Toast, Jun 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    How would you go about surviving this? I think it depends on what type of nuclear explosion.
    You have places like Chernobyl, which was a reactor meltdown. They say that area won't be safe for thousands of years still. But when you like at like Nagisaki, and Hiroshima, those areas are fine now. So it's possible if you can hide out long enough, you can avoid the radiation. This is assuming you're not anywhere close to the explosions, if you are I'm not sure there's a chance of survival. Do you risk going out in radiation? Do you fashion yourself a radiation suit? Or do you just stockpile years and years of supplies in a shelter?

2. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    I live about an hour south of D.C So if that were a target I might survive the initial blast depending on what type of nuke is used, but I'm certain the fallout would get me If I didn't get out quick.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I live in the southern hemisphere so you guys up in the northern hemisphere can nuke as much as you please!
    Not much fallout will get down here and by the time is gets here most of the radiation will be spent!;)

ps Australia just aint worth nuking!

4. woodchipper518

woodchipper518 Expert Member
      128/173

Blog Posts:
    My plan is bug out if possible. I'm outside the 20 mile blast zone of any primary targets....not sure about secondaries. If bug out is not possible, I plan to make my house look ransacked, put up my defenses, consolidate down living spaces to the central part of the house then tape and seal my self in until the fallout lessens...about 4-7 days if there are no secondary/retaliatory nukes. I have a shower setup and know de-contamination procedures but washing contaminated clothes is a problem and clothes are not endless. Then deal with the walkers that come out from the urban areas. Ultimately, I would have to bug out to the country to (hopefully) find soil less contaminated. Geiger counter is a my wish list for the faraday cage.

5. keenonthedaywalker

keenonthedaywalker Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    Well I have family in south africa, so I doubt they would be nuked very soon.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sorry man, but ...

Australia has a population of 25,000,000. China has a population of 1.381,000,000 -- a ratio of 1381 to 25, i.e. over 55/1. If China needs the land mass of Australia, it will use its air-burst neutron warheads to "sanitize" Australia of all its cities' human populations (with little or no fallout being created), then move its surplus people into your country at its leisure. You guys could use your cobalt weapons on your own country as the proverbial "poison pill" solution, however your country has few or no nukes with which to do so.

China and Russia are currently "odd bedfellows" working on the creation of a petro-currency to kill the American petro-dollar. They will succeed. Plus, they will watch as the euro dies and see any return to the British pound fail. All Western powers are headed for economic collapse. This will crater their military capabilities, especially when you consider that no one in uniform will be receiving any pay other than getting first dibs on food supplies for their own families. No one will have the resources to come to Australia's aid.

Here in America, after hurricane Katrina, the New Orleans Police became the number one pack of looters in that city. There are still some videos left showing the cops looting a Wal-Mart. The National Guard disarmed the law-abiding and avoided the drug gangs. Welcome to the future.

keenonthedaywalker likes this.
  7. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:

HAHAHAHAHA!

China this China that what a load of bollocks! neutron warheads, sanitize you got to be kidding!
    Our cobalt weapons now that's funny
    And just how would they get here? teleport or something?
    And for what Australia is mostly hot dry desert!

Come on please kick brain into gear before typing !

8. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't know Arkane it could happen.

9. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Not by china mate!

But a religious jihad invasion from Indonesia, that is a distinct possibility here in Australia!

10. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    So you're saying that there isn't even the slightest chance of it happening. I know you are thinking logically here, but who's to say it won't happen? I mean there must at least be a 0.01% chance, right?

11. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    China like japan in wwii would need to work there way down here taking all of asia first to ensure safe shipping if there is no apocalypse
    and if there is then the amount of shipping left would be minimal and it is still a long way!
    Yes there is a chance but getting hit by a falling space rock is a much bigger chance!

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    be as far away from a viable target as you can, would be my first thought.
    with modern weapons and targeting systems if your not in the immediate blast area you have a good chance of surviving.
    fallout depends on weather conditions and prevailing winds.

13. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:

14. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    I have a question though. How many wars have Australia been in? I know WWII is one, but I don't know if the fought in any other wars. I don't believe so, so please correct me if I am wrong.

15. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    fallout depends on weather conditions and prevailing winds.
    and time! fallout has an approx. half-life of SEVEN hours

So unless you are buried in fall-out then after 10-14 days that fall-out becomes relatively safe!
    Still need to avoid inhaling or ingesting the stuff and to dust off and sleep in a clean zone as much as possible!

Fall-out on soil can be scraped off and any left dug in as deep as possible.
    Wash any root veggie well and some test equipment would be good just to check!

16. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    you'll have to ask Keith that one.

17. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Matey if you have to ask:rolleyes: Since the Boer war in SA most of them and as a US partner we been since WWII Vietnam and all the middle east wars!
    Your education is sadly lacking! you might want to do something about that sometime!

18. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Hey, I just don't know much about Australia okay.

19. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Thanks I will

20. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "And just how would they get here? teleport or something?"

It is very true that China's military itself has poor troop transport capabilities.

This is why the PLA's Navy plans on commandeering cargo ships -- their own plus those of other nations during a war scenario.

Here is a Popular Science article showing some specific examples of Chinese cargo ships (w/photos) fitted with military xport capabilities:
    http://www.popsci.com/chinese-cargo-ships-get-military-option

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  22. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    It is most certainly do-able. And there is a plethora of literature on the topic. I've posted some in the Resources section.

Yes. Generally after two weeks it will be safe to begin work out doors.

Time, distance, shielding are the key to nuclear survival. With a properly constructed shelter, with supplies for at a minimum of two weeks, you can survive. A book I highly recommend is Life After Doomsday by Dr. Bruce Clayton.

Cheers.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  23. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    In my country it is technically impossible to survive a nuclear apocalypse since it does not have the sufficient infrastructure to do it, the best thing in my case would i do is mantain me underground, far from the radiation and other problems consequent to that event.