Ideas for upcycled or salvage shelter material

Discussion in 'Permanent Shelters' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    upload_2016-1-25_5-7-30.png
    When it comes to material it should not be too hard to find. It is all around us. We have abandoned buildings, houses, and cars. Junk in landfills that are not actually trash at all, salvage yards and unused household items just sitting around that can be repurposed into many things. For instance, you could take an alternator from a vehicle, the belts, pulleys and battery to hook up to create yourself a regenerating 12-volt power source. This would allow you to power items like a light or allow you to bring clean running water into the house. Vehicles, especially trucks would be a great item to repurpose in general. The end of a truck bed could be used as a base or cover to a root cellar, allowing you to store food and water.
    Old shipping containers make for a great location to rehome in. Take some old carpet, paper, or blankets to line the walls with if you live in colder climates as you are going to need them to insulate the metal, so you do not freeze.
    Old non-functional house hold items would make of great use, things like a dining room table chair could be repurposed into your new outhouse toilet seat so that you do not have to squat over your new bathroom arrangement. Pallets can be repurposed into just about anything you can imagine, they would even be great for a structure to a smaller shelter or storage area.
    Almost anything we have can be repurposed. It just takes a creative mind, the will to locate an item that will suit the project and tools to make it happen. Just because something no longer works one way doesn’t mean it works in a different manner. If staying alive and sheltered is your number one concern you will get creative with your survival instincts.

Ricky Jeringan and TheJim like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I do like the shelter in the photo!:D

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Shipping pallets rr ties shipping containers they are eveywhere now most places glad to have you take and clean up mess FOR FREE !

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    shipping containers are not easy to move, you need a mini crane or some sort of lifting equipment.
    pallets are everywhere, I keep picking them up from industrial estates.

5. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I got a place that gets parts in wood containers. Truck traileer they load them for me i made chicken coop pig shed green house raised garen boxes they call im there the owner of co came out with truk load and was amazed

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    handy resource.

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Saw neat tool on utube for takeing pallets apart i made two one for 2x4 pallets and one for pallets with 4x4 runners nails on pallets have spirals on them make then hold tighter this tool makes quick work of pulling them apart

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    for taking pallets apart I use a good old British cold chisel and a big hammer.

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    This tool is simple and amazeing it to f lat pieces welded to a pipe the width of runner thn a five ft bar at a 45 degree angle welded to pipe it makes quick work of poping them apart

10. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I like the shelter that is in the photo as well! Pallets would be a great source for a structure at the very least, and then you could definitely find good stuff at the junkyard to help complete it. Something such as clothing and fabric scraps can be used, or you could even check the trash behind carpet companies for carpet and the padding that they just throw out. I'm a thrifter, so I always look for cheap/free items that could help me out in one way or another.