If backpacking

Discussion in 'Modern Cooking' started by cluckeyo, May 30, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    If you are on foot and traveling with your backpack, cast iron will not be a desirable way to cook. You have to keep things light in a backpack. And they can't take up a lot o space. There are a lot of tiny little stoves you can buy to cook with. You can even make a stove out of a tuna can. One of the nicer ones available to purchase is a jetboil. It has a cooking canister and all the parts fit inside for storage, even the fuel. It boils water really fast. It's a good emergency stove at home too, like for power outages.

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Whoa, yeah, cast iron while backpacking is just against for stiff shoulders and cumbersome luggage. It makes for a good weapon though! One of the best things I've always liked is aluminum foil and cans (as you mentioned with the tuna can). Wrapping food in foil and suspending it over a fire is a great way for a quick meal. Another innovative thing is hot stone cooking, where you can cook food on the stones just as you would a fry pan.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've done plenty of back packing in the past, mostly on Dartmoor one of our national parks.
    open fire's are not allowed so we have to take a miniature gas stove instead.
    keep the amount of stuff you carry to a minimum, weight here is the main thing, carry to much and you'll pay for it in stiff muscles and aching backs.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    For backpackin. i got a new lightweight dutch oven and a coffee pot both work ok the oven and lid work cook fast. Cleaned and scrubbed the lid over coals makes a fair griddle skillet the pot makes a good stew and is a fair oven once i got used to how quick it cooked give it a C rateing it works

5. Lockup Nomad

Lockup Nomad New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I made a bean can wood stove gassifier. when I dont use the little 530 coleman, i use the beancan. i will start it with wood pellets, but it burns twigs, leaves, etc.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    AKA as a "hobo" stove, I made one from a larger can as a backup.