Investment In Paintings

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by iamawriter, May 27, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    The normal way to invest one's savings is by depositing it in banks, buying mutual funds, buying shares, buying gold and some even invest in land. There are other ways too if one is willing to take risks and that is to buy paintings. Paintings by up and coming artists would be a good buy. As they become famous the value of their paintings will go up.

Have you invested in paintings? Whose paintings are they?

Here is a link that gives names of up and coming artists

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-17-emerging-artists-to-watch-in-2017

2. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't know how good this idea is... not that much I think, a painting might require lots of years before becoming valuable! In those years you might find fastest way to save or invest some money. Also, it's a bet too big for me... I don't like taking those kind of risks when they regard money, you never know!

iamawriter likes this.
  3. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I have some paintings in my home by a semi famous artist. They technically belong to my ex husband but he is allowing me to keep them here for the time being. They look really nice on my wall. Selling them would not give me too much money, but I did sell one painting by someone else that gave me a decent amount of cash.

iamawriter likes this.
  4. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I think how popular it becomes for which years may not be needed. The boosting can be done by those who have invested in such paintingsby making a mention of this artist in all their virtual activities. Blog owners could even post an Ad. Having said that as you have said it could be for long term investors who are in no hurry to liquidate their investments.

5. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    You will have to wait for sometime and keep getting reviews on these paintings which you will find in sites dedicated to painters. As I have commented elsewhere here promoting such paintings by talking about them where such talk is recognised could be on way to boos their value. There are many paintings collectors who have no wish to sell but they do it just as a hobby.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i fail to see the relevance of this thread on a survival forum.

jeager likes this.
  7. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    The art market is very tricky - especially something like painting - and sometimes takes a long time (sometimes more than we can imagine) to have the paintings valued in the most appropriate way. I honestly wouldn't invest my money in this type of market, mainly because I don't understand practically nothing about it.

I prefer to invest my money in markets with which I am familiar because obviously I would feel safer. :)

iamawriter likes this.
  8. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    There is risk in every kind of investment. Investing in paintings is a new concept which has not caught on but I have heard that some do make money specially those who have good knowledge about these things. You could take the help of those who are in know of investments in paintings. There are some who collect paintings just as there are those who collect antiques.

WildSpirit likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    again I repeat, how is this relevant to survivalism??

jeager likes this.
  10. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I agree that all kinds of investments offer us some risks, but some risks can be calculated and / or avoided. So, it's thinking about it that I'd rather invest my money in the markets than I have some kind knowledge (at least).

If I don't feel safe enough to risk, I'd rather not risk it. :)

11. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    ^ Agreed.

And, beyond that, no, I don't see this as a viable investment strategy; either in general or in an emergency. There is simply too much speculation in this field and it would be just as easy to lose your investment than to profit. There are plenty of other ways to grow one's wealth that have far, far less risk.

12. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Hell gold's only worth what we say it's worth it just a metal taken out of the Earth just about everyone has some

13. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    It comes under Financial Planning. Why? Have I done something wrong? I am confused. Kindly guide me. You have so many categories here and I thought this would fit in financial planning under general discussions.

14. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Paintings?
    Hummmmmmmmmmm??????????????

No I don't think so.
    Survival. I'm not eating a painting.
    Financial survival?
    Well that precludes some sort of economic collapse and if so I'd rather have some serious
    stores of provisions, guns, ammo, knives, hatchet,...................................Silver???? Maybe.
    The wealthy with a collection of valuable paintings won't be able to defend them, eat them, trade
    them.
    Just sayin'.

I have almost 15 acres and all but one acre is woods with mature hardwood.
    THAT is an investment.
    Timber companies stop by and offer me cash all the time.
    They can go take a flying whatever at a rolling doughnut!
    I can heat my house literally forever with my woods.
    I can't burn enough wood for heat and cooking to use that all up
    before other new trees grow.
    Lots of locust that is very hard and burns very hot, red & white oak.
    I have a wood stove in the basement that heats the entire house.
    By the way my house is 100% electric so heating is expensive.
    My highest electric bill in a very cold Jan. was $125 bucks.
    That's lights, t-v, stove, baseboard heat, hot water, etc.
    I've heated water on the wood stove for coffee, tea, soup, etc.
    I can even cook a burger and roast a hot dog on it.
    A also have fire fighting equipment just in case.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    lonewolf likes this.
  15. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    No you haven't done anything wrong at all.
    Stick around and learn.
    I am new here and learning a lot.:p

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    at the end of the day this is a SURVIVAL forum, yes you can have financial planning but to my mind that should lead to something that helps one survive, painting just to stick on a wall and admire wont put food in your mouth, that's all i'm saying.

17. igkolev88

igkolev88 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Speculation by buying paintings at lower prices and selling them when the artist becomes famous is quite a good idea. But it is kind of a long shot, too. There are countless artists nowadays and selecting the right ones would be next to impossible, according to me. It sounds a lot like buying a lottery ticket, I guess.

18. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Yo
    You need to do a study just as study is done on companies before buying shares. It is not as popular as buying shares but it will gain ground if more are seen investing. You could surf the Net to get to biographies of artists specially those who are just about making their presence felt

19. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    :) You buy that painting not to stick on your wall but keep it safe somewhere and bring it out when it is time to sell it and make some money. Before doing that you need to study just as we study the performance of up and coming companies. This is for long term survival .
    Don't you believe in long term savings? Risk is a common factor no matter where one invests.

20. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    This suggestion is for those who invest in shares and mutual funds which are long term investments.
    People even invest in carpets and then there are those who go for antiques.
    We were building our house and suddenly fell short of money. We sold our shares that were bought several years ago and this situation could be taken care of if one has paintings that have appreciated in value. There are stores that sell paintings of emerging artists. Here is a link

https://www.saatchiart.com/paintings/oil

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the 5 main headings for prepping are: food, water, shelter, security and first aid.
    I fail to see where paintings and other investments would fit into these headings.
    if one is buying and selling paintings so that one can invest the profits into the above headings then all well and good, but I don't think that is the case.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  22. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I have investments in the Market but a bit less than $50,000 and because Trump is President the
    stocks are gaining a bit.
    I had $125,000 but my adult kids with hands out begging drained me. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    I stopped that crap! When grown if I begged bucks from my hard working dad he'd have been
    a mite upset. That means I'd have been the brunt of at least a lecture in unkind words.
    I'm toying with the idea of cashing it a bit and buying prepper goodies.
    I have enough firearms, ammo, tools, knives, canning supplies, gardening implements, yadda yadda............
    Thinking of a hand pitcher type pump for water from my well if electric goes out.
    Thoughts on a deep well hand pump?

23. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    That's the first thing I thought of when it comes to this kind of investment - that it's one of those things that takes lifetimes to really appreciate in value. Unless you're buying a Picasso or a Monet right now, in which case you've got enough money to not need to worry about investing!!

I try and "invest" with useful things around the house. Plants, fruit trees, things that would help my family and I survive in a SHTF situation...plus it's fun getting in touch with nature and watching the things you've planted really flourish.

24. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I painted a barn once.
    It took a very long time.