Is Precipitation Healthy To Drink?

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by thePENofGODx0x0xz7, Jul 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Which is healthier to drink, Rain/Snow/Precipitation or Pond/Lake/River water?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Without boiling or treating, in my area, rain water.
    Keith.

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 likes this.
  3. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

8/23

Blog Posts:
    Okay, you said rain water in your area. I have always heard about acid rain, that means the drinking of urban city rain areas can be problematic, right?

4. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think the rain water here would be okay, but if you lived in an urban or industrial area you might have to worry about acid rain. Lots of people have a rain catchment system at their house but I think a lot of people just use it to water their garden and not for drinking.

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I recall seeing news about acid rain, I think it was in Canada. Drinking rainwater caught from city roofs can be bad because of the traffic fumes that collect on the roofs. This was especially so when leaded petrol was being used more. Not sure about smoke from COAL burning fires, certainly it will effect the taste. On treks I usually collect the rainwater running off my shelter in my kettle to top up my water flasks.
    We store rainwater in cement tanks for drinking & washing. We have had this water tested & it was passed as clean, no contamination at all. There will of course be bird droppings, the first flush of rainwater is diverted from the tanks. Even so, you can get TOO CLEAN. Our bodies have evolved to handle a certain amount of NATURAL pollution, our immune system can handle this. Drinking town water with fluoride is a different matter all together, I won't drink town water.
    Keith.

6. nytegeek

nytegeek New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It is more a matter of location and what pollutants are in the various sources you listed if any. Pond is probably going to be last on most lists because a pond is often stagnant water. Where are you thinking of being when the need arises? Collecting and boiling is often going to be a needed step from any source, but it may not be the only step needed to make it safe. The water may need the addition of halogens or some rudimentary filtering in addition to boiling. The bottom line is to pick the least polluted of the sources you listed for your area and go from there.

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Any more most water needs filtered rain water city water well spring all has its concerns be safe fiter all water for cooking and drinking

8. nytegeek

nytegeek New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    No, most running tap water in major industrialized nations throughout Europe and North America is safe to drink unfiltered. Please don't buy into the propaganda that water bottlers like Perier spent so much money spreading about city water supplies to increase their sales. Bottled water is great to stockpile for emergency use and filters are good to have on hand for disasters that could affect the water supply, but they aren't all that nessacary for daily use under normal circumstances. Do the environment and your budget a favor, don't be paranoid and use a refillable container. Save emergency supplies for emergencies.

9. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Most rain water is really safe to drink as it does provide a solution for most of the world. However, you have to be aware of the levels of pollution. You don't want to drink that water if near toxic areas like power plants or if it's come off of buildings like in puddles; that could potentially lead to more toxicity because of the surfaces it moves through. Usually for rain water it is actually lower than the public drinking supply of water in most areas. If properly treated-meaning boiled and filtered, you will be fine. Snow can also be used if treated. I have also ready that some people even harvest rainwater for various activities like washing clothes, mopping and laundry.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think any water is suspect and should be treated accordingly, don't just assume its okay.
    Err on the side of caution.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Rain/Snow/Precipitation themselves are all safe. It's how you collect that water that could lead to issues, a good example was collecting rain water from the roof of your house which is dirty. As for lakes and rivers, it depends on where you are but in general the further away from permanent residence the lake/river is, the safer it is.

Once again I'll throw this into the water discussion: how do you think human beings survived for thousands of years? Did Evian send water bottles back through time travel? Or did people maybe just drink from natural sources? So you don't really need to worry about nature messing with your water, just us humans and our dirty ways that pose a problem.

12. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    If you watch that movie called "Approaching The Unknown", the guy in the space ship that was going to Mars so he could colonize it for the first time, he messed up his internal water supply by doing something stupid, he had no choice but to figure out a way to create a water source.

He did so by taking the plants he was growing in the ship, put then in a container, cover it with some kind of plastic, and let the area in the container precipitate, which he directed it to pour inside of a cup. That was his water source for quite some time. He lived off of precipitation.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you have to be careful with river water, especially in England where chemicals run off farmland, water is extracted for commercial premises and such like, I don't think we should just assume the water is okay.

14. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have posted in another thread about gathering the morning dew. That precipitation is one of the cleanest water you can find. Water in the waterway like rivers and streams cannot be trusted especially when there are people in the vicinity. We had been to a forest near the city where there is a waterfalls with water that obviously has soap suds. The caretaker said that there is a residential area upstream and the residents were washing clothes in the river that leads to the waterfalls. So for me, rainwater is good for drinking and also snow.

15. nytegeek

nytegeek New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    What about condensation? Is that a safe route if there is no rain? I know it would be slow and limited, just wondering about the safety.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    what about a transpiration bag on bushes to collect dew?

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I think snow water is probably the cleanest if you take it from the top and the area you're in doesn't suffer from pollution or high wind speeds. I think rain water is probably not that healthy because I've read it comes down with dust on it, which makes is not good for your system if you don't filter it.

18. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    With all that man has done to this planet and recent news be safe filter your water to be sure its. Not hard

19. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think if your in a rural area filtered rain water would be best. Unless you live near a spring with clean water this is the best you can do. Those life straws seem to come in handy I think using these with rain water will give you some of the cleanest water you can get. As far as acid rain that's something to be concerned about and I don't know if acid can be filtered out of water effectively. The best thing to do if you live in a urban are is store an emergency supply of water.

20. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

8/23

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking that snow had to be a good pure form of water. Even as children we never got sick from eating pure white snow but I must say collecting dew is new to me. How would you go about this?

21. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Hi, I'm a science person and teacher-when I want to be, so I try to make things as simple as possible. In its simplest form, nature uses evaporation to make clouds and condensation to make rain. Water serves its purpose by cycling around and then being released back into both ground and air. Well, once the water evaporates and you are able to collect the condensation, it does remove most of the impurities but you still need to use heating or cooling methods to make it way more drinkable. You can even distill some of the so called undrinkable forms, preferably through heat if possible for better results.

22. nytegeek

nytegeek New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    A little over the top there on the explanation, I'm not a grade school student I'm a 40 year old working on a masters degree, but thank you. :p

23. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Hmm, interesting. You are more than welcome. Not sure my post is condescending or demeaning in any way, so definitely didn't mean for you to take it that way. We are all here to learn and help as well as gain knowledge and insight from one another. Btw, I have two Master's degrees. With the post, I just saw it as a clarifying moment in response to your question. I try to be as detailed as possible because when asked a question, I try to be thorough so as not to cause confusion.

bluebetta likes this.
  24. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if it would always be safe to drink rainwater in an unprocessed state. There are so may be many pollutants in the atmosphere at any given time and I am considering that some of the substances may be entangled in the rain water. Therefore, I believe that there should be some form of purification before its drinkable.

25. bluebetta

bluebetta Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    And don't forget there are other people here reading who DON'T have two Master's degrees, and we are learning by reading here too. Just because he knows something doesn't mean I do, and I am reading to learn also. You two having conversations over the rest of our heads might cause us average schmoes to miss something we want to learn. Ha ha. Thank you for considering there is a wide audience here all learning together, and taking the time to explain things. I know it is more work on your part to clarify things, and that extra effort is appreciated.

26. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I would have to say that the best water to drink would be river water in a remote area without any factories or frequent vehicles nearby. The good thing about river water is that it will never go stagnant because it keeps moving all the time which is also a plus against lake and pond water. Rain water can be bad due to acidic rain and simply pollution in the air in general.