It's Important To Know Common First Aid Knowledge

Discussion in 'First Aid Skills' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    It is very important to have knowledge of first aid supplies and materials. By taking the time to read up on emergency first aid, you will give yourself the added advantage during an emergency situation. Nothing is worse than opening your emergency first aid kit but not knowing what to utilize for what situation. Different problems will call for different solutions. By knowing what each part of your first aid kit does and where it is utilized best, you will more efficiently be able to handle the problem at hand. If you are the kind of individual that can read all day long but just can't seem to remember what you read don't worry. Today there are apps that you can download into your phone that may be viewed offline when you do not have an internet connection that will give you the basics on emergency first aid.
    upload_2016-1-21_1-23-0.png
    As an excellent backup resource for safety, in every first aid kit a small paper bag emergency first aid handbook, should be stored. These books are very small and do not take up much room in your first aid kit. They can make difference between life or death in an emergency situation. Even if you know, everything there is to know about first aid you never know and that first aid kit may need to be used on you and you are unable to coach or direct somebody as to the proper ways to utilize the equipment you have. Be smart, always be prepared, and your chances of surviving a dangerous situation with the right first aid kit are increased substantially.

2. Heath L

Heath L New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. Luckily I have extensive medical background. Most people do not. It's good advice. Also, be aware of natural surroundings such as plants and other that have medicinal purposes

3. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    I agree. Everyone should have at lease a basic knowledge of first aid, but for those without extensive knowledge a box is a great idea. We should all keep one in or near our first aid kits for quick access. Even if you know a lot about first aid, some people can panic in an emergency so the book would be useful to them also.

4. megaman93

megaman93 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Wow. It never occurred to me to put a small handbook in my first aid kit. That could prove to be especially useful. I've been trained in various first aid skills, but a lack of use of these skills means I have forgotten a lot. This is an excellent idea.

5. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree with this. Basic first aid knowledge has saved many lives. Help could be delayed or the nearest hospital could be miles away. A skill I intend to perfect (learnt many years ago in college) is CPR. Apart from a SHTF situation, there are so many home incidents where CPR can save a life. A child chokes from a swallowed object, a man with a heart problem slumps, someone faints for no apparent reason. We just need to ensure that we find the balance between first aid and self medication so no lines are crossed :)

6. Steve-0

Steve-0 Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    It is very important to know basic first aid, but the same goes with basic shooting, handling of firearms etc. I think one of the biggest and most important factors for both basic skills is how to remain calm under pressure. In my experience in Emt B and Emt P too many people do not know how to take that deep breath and learn how to just relax in a stressful situation. People are relying on the ones who "know" to help, prevent, and possibly save someones life. Yeah, blood , guts, and broken bones are gross, but people need to remain calm snd focus on the task at hand and that may be something that you cannot teach.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  7. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    a first aid book is useless in the FAK !
    I do not want the person treating me to first read the book, I may have bled out by then!

Everything in the book should have been committed to memory long before it is ever needed!
    and DO IT NOW !
    Get a good first aid book or two now and read it then read it again and again and again until you know it all
    An arterial gusher needs attention NOW not in hours or minutes or even seconds
    One can bleed out in twenty seconds from a severed femoral artery, no time to even think, one must know and act there and then not look it up in a book!

8. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Don't forget your tooth pulling pliers .You can find them on E Bay . I would recommend at least two in different sizes . A bad tooth can kill you from getting bacteria into your blood stream .

9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    a surgery kit would be nice to have . It would be bad to have to tie someone down and cut off an arm or leg with a hack saw because you were too cheap to buy the needed tools to remove a bullet . That's one thing I don't have YET .

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends what you mean by a surgery kit.
    I wont be doing anything more than basic first aid.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about having a full surgical kit unless you have some training but forceps, tweezers, scalpels, scissors and suture kits are a must for minor wound repairs.

Crys B. likes this.
  12. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I have done some Wilderness and Austere medicine training that's way above the first aid courses I have done so if I HAD to I can do minor surgery with a reasonable expectation of success.

Crys B. likes this.
  13. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have several Field first aid kits + some tweezers and various size scissors, but that's as far as it goes.

Crys B. likes this.
  14. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    On top of having first aid kits and first aid knowledge, I think practicing having a calm mind and not panicking is an essential skill to have.

It's easy to panic and loose track of what one learned when in a survival situation. Or when you're in shock.