Keeping Others and Yourself Safe Requires These Basic Things

Discussion in 'Safety' started by WaterWizard, Apr 26, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WaterWizard

WaterWizard Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to keeping others safe in a survival situation or other emergency type situation the best way to do this is by remaining calm and showing that you are in control the situation. By setting a good example for others, you can help to control the atmosphere and mood of a group. A group is only as strong as its weakest link and by encouraging people to keep their sanity, you will in an essence help the entire group.
    [​IMG]

Keeping others safe is not always something that happens in an emergency situation it is something that when done properly can prevent emergency situations. Planning ahead as to where you are going to go and letting people know where you plan on being and when you when you are returning is always a great idea. In the situation where you must be the go-to or leader of a group keeping people safe will be your priority.
    [​IMG]

It takes a strong individual to watch over themselves during a situation that requires alertness, and it takes an even stronger individual to watch over a group. By staying vigilant to your surroundings and knowing the environment in which you will be in you will always have a slight advantage compared to someone who ignores these simple steps.

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Some people simply refuse to be safe, not by there words but by there actions!
    Some are determined to win the Darwin Award no matter what!

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    DONT PANIC!!!:D

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    And don't risk good peoples lives rescueing idiots that should have known better!

Saving an idiot is just a temporary thing as they will just keep trying for the Darwin award until they get it!
    Save time effort and others by letting them get it first time!

Sounds harsh but you cant cure "STUPID" any way but with the Darwin award!

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    now that I do agree with, "stupid" will soon get himself killed don't let him take you down with him.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Informing more than just one person where you are going & when you expect to return, is a priority. If you do this, all else short of illness or accident is plain sailing.
    Keith.

7. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    The best advice yet hardest one to follow is to keep calm. I am a very panicky person, especially when in the water. I noticed that every time I panicked, I pushed myself farther down the water and it makes everything ten times worse. Any tips on how to stay calm and be in control of the situation??? I certainly don't wanna be the weakling in emergencies. I don't want to burden other people with my inability to stay calm.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well Ella you have already realised the most important thing, that panicking helps no one. In an ordinary lost situation if you did the right thing & notified several people in regards to WHERE you were going & WHEN you intended to return, then all you have to do is sit tight & wait for someone to find you. This is of course providing you STOP as soon as you realise that you are lost, & do not stray too far from your intended route.
    IF you feel that you have strayed too far from your intended route, OR you failed to tell anyone where you were going, then there are practicle things you can do to stay safe & perhaps find your own way out.
    1) If you are low on water, find some if you can without straying too far from your present position. Low ground is better than high ground. In flat terrain look for greenery growing. This could prove to be a water hole of a water course. 2) Remember that providing you keep yourself safe & have water, TIME is not an issue. Staying alive is more important than losing your job! Concentrate on staying alive & getting out. 3) You may need to construct a simple shelter from the sun or bad weather. With this goes making a fire, but make sure the fire is SAFE & can not spread! 4) During the day listen for the sounds of people; vehicle engines, car doors shutting, dogs barking, house doors closing, the sound of chainsaws or axes cutting wood or the sound of a generator or water pump. Look for smoke from camp fires or house chimneys. This will give you a direction to follow, but make sure you do NOT go round in circles. Line up three trees or land marks or a combination of these in the direction you need to go. When you get to the first marker, put your back against it & line up the remaining two markers with another third one. Continue on & repeat.
    5) At night listen for the same sounds, but unless they are close-by, just mark the direction with rocks or sticks or mark trees & wait until daylight unless you have a torch or are fairly certain you are on safe ground. Travelling in the dark can be dangerous & you do NOT want to injure yourself. Look for vehicle headlights, radio tower lights, house lights, camp fires, lighthouse lights if you are near the coast. Watch for aircraft lights, there may be an airstrip not too far away.
    Low ground can be good for finding water, but high ground will give you the best chance of seeing something that will help you get out. High ground will also make you more visible if you keep a fire going. Adding green vegetation to a fire will create more smoke. Passing aircraft may also spot your fire.
    THREE is the S.O.S. signal, three whistle blasts, three gun shots, three fires (keep them safe), three COOEEs (a shout), three air horn blasts, three flashes from a torch at night, three flashes from a mirror during the day. You get the idea.
    IF all else fails, going down hill SHOULD eventually lead you to a water course/source. EXAMPLE: you are on high ground, you go down. When you reach the lower ground, say a valley or gully, it too should go downward in one direction. Follow this downward & continue doing this until you find a water course. Mountain areas st their highest points produce what is called "Header Streams". These are where the water source starts from & these eventually run into streams or creeks which eventually lead to lakes & rivers. Water is also a source of food, & communities are usually built close to a water source.
    Regards, Keith.

9. BigD

BigD New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I learned in a sociology class at my university that people who step up to fill leadership roles are not necessarily the most qualified or knowledgeable on the topic. What is important is that someone step up to organize the group in the right direction. A big part of this includes managing the emotions of the group to keep it cohesive and focused. Being a leader doesn't mean you have to know exactly what you're doing. You just have to be able to make good decisions and organize people. Even if someone in the group knows how to work out of a certain situation, they might not know how to organize people to do what is necessary. So don't be afraid to step up as a leader, even if you aren't the most confident in your own knowledge. Granted, you shouldn't direct people if you have no clue what you're doing, but if you use critical thinking skills and can maintain your composure, you can usually determine a good course of action in any situation.

10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    It is important for a leader to know his/her people, & to be able to delegate certain tasks to the right people.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    By Buxton.