Kickstarter's all purpose knife. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by Correy, Jun 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    This project has already reached its kickstarter goal, but it seems pretty interesting. It's basically a survivalis knife made to do all sorts of things.
    What do you fellow survivalists think?

zF45HhUYZcg3zaHfFvlVJhi1umwTTGmO.jpeg

zF45HhUYZcg3zaHfFvlVJhi1umwTTGmO.jpeg

They have a bunch of videos in their kickstarter page that shows what the knife can do.

Here's their page:https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nife-that-could-save-you?ref=category_popular

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This to me looks like just another gadget made to make you spend your money. Fine if you want to go camping & play at being a survivalist, but not a real work tool. Personally I would rather spend the money on some decent gear made for the job.
    Keith.

DocC likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This to me looks like just another gadget made to make you spend your money. Fine if you want to go camping & play at being a survivalist, but not a real work tool. Personally I would rather spend the money on some decent gear made for the job.
    Keith.

DocC likes this.
  4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    What Keith said!
    The survival stuff is next to useless, the blade is too clunky for fighting, too thick for skinning or any long term holding
    It is too chunky for whittling or any fine work!
    By trying to make it do ALL things it can do NOTHING well except drain your wallet!

Three blades you will find handy are a small comfortable blade for little stuff
    A hand axe/Tomahawk for chopping and a light but very sharp fighting knife!
    The first two you will use for general living the last you would hope to never need!

5. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Sounds pretty gimmicky. And you know what they say about multipurpose "The more it covers, the less it tightens"

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A photo of a knife shows me nothing feel of the knife is it well made does it have a good balance. Is the handle held to the blade tightly is it made of good steel does it have a good working edge hollow handled knifes with their kit inside most ive seen are junk yes i said it JUNK. A good knife is a one piece blade thick on the spine and a edge that is smooth to look at the handle is fasten thightly to the blade with a good hilt to protect your hand and fingers from blade a new gadget knife maybe ok but a knife made by a company thats been around for 100 years is because they make a knife that works

7. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    A lot really depends on the build quality of the product. I think you'd have to at least hold it before you could tell. It might even take at least a week of use to be able to decide if it's up to any jobs at all.

8. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    I only now found out how much this knife costs...it's 400$...Way too much for any single knife in my opinion...I thought it was going to be like 50-80$. At least that's the only price I would have agreed to pay for something like that.

In retrospect this is indeed just an overpriced knife.

9. dogs of amf

dogs of amf New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It's pretty antithetical to the survivalist mindset to have just one awfully expensive tool to cover everything. Survivalism is about giving yourself as many options as possible. It's all too easy to lose just one tool or just one option and, given what the consequences are for failure, we want to be generous with what we work with. Having just one knife to preform all your needs isn't desirable at all.

All that said, this stuff is great for camping, all that mostly is about is convenience, anyway.

10. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Have to agree with this.Everyone can make such a knife, and get it as comfortable as they wish.The extras are just for people to think that it's worth buying the knife, while in fact it's not. I'm sure it can do the same job as any other ordinary knife can,but since It's done with all these features, people think it's an advantage, and don't see the real issues.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    For cost of the knife you can have a good sheath knife made by buck case kabar gerber for 50bucks they will be fine made blade of good steel that will have a sharp edge and be easy to resharpin if they add survival to the name it adds big bucks to price advoid knifes with seragated blade they are hard to sharpen when they need it a knife for survival should have a 30 degree edge this beval will do the job for survival

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was looking at a Glock field knife online the other day, available in the UK for anywhere from £19.99 to £32, I know someone who has one and he recommends it, he reckons its a good all round knife and it can be abused and still works fine, he was "batoning" some firewood at the time so he should know!:p

13. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Exactly, what costs more and had all the bells and whistles is not always what's best. We need to remove out mindset from that inane way of thinking, if we ever want to make fantastic survivalists!
    It may be a good, comfortable and ergonomically sound knife, but $400? Get out of here.

14. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I know the knifes i named Are co that have made knife sfor many years and still make the same knifes Winchester made fine rifles for many years now have their name on knifes i handled one once and gave it back to its owner i was not impressed with it all was cheap junk poorly made shame that they put a good name on junk to make money check a knife out before you buy it. Make sure its made well

15. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It honestly doesn't look like much special. A lot of these kickstarters feel like they go overboard for basically nothing. This knife doesn't look like it's much more special than any other knife you can get made for survival/wilderness. I don't really think it's worth the price or the time honestly.

16. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Even if this is not all what it's cut out to be, I would buy it. As long as it's not really expensive I'd try it out and give it a honest review. I do agree with@Keith H. I'd rather have tools meant for certain jobs. This looks pretty cool for a knife collection tho.

17. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have found that if a tool has too many uses it will fall under the header of "jack of all trades, master of none" . A swiss army knife is cool and can be quite useful IF that is the only tool that you were permitted to have in a survival situation. However, each of the individual tools within a Swiss Army knife are demonstraby inferior to their "stand-alone" counterparts and, for $400, you can have fairly-high quality tools individually that match or exceed what is provided by this knife.

18. Nedbushcrafter

Nedbushcrafter Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20160701_082257.jpg IMG_20160701_082257.jpg
    This is my knife simple no frills
    Tough as old boots does a variety of jobs ya just paying for all the gimmicks

19. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking knifes who makes them ?

20. Nedbushcrafter

Nedbushcrafter Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Its an Anglo arms nomad 2 good knife

21. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess we all have our favourite knives, would do if we all thought the same.

22. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I dont know. Looks like a gimmick and I have sort of given up on the thought that there is gonna be one knife who will revolutionize anything. I did a thread on the subject of being tool heavy a week or so ago that sums my thoughts on the subject.
    And in any category I have not seen many good multi-tools. Not even a leatherman. While they might be good for what they are they are still not as good as the cheapest tools bought separetly.

23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking knife BUT, it is a little too small for batoning and splitting kindling. Having all your eggs in one basket is dangerous and that is a flaw that most "survival" knives share. I made a similar knife a few years ago and found that it was to thick and made for too steep a grind angle on the edge unless I SERIOUSLY hollow ground it and then what was the point of making it from .250 steel? Like most knives it has goods and bads. If you want a razor sharp knife that you can use for many things you need a longer and wider knife if you want to use .250 steel. If you want a knife that will be reasonably sharp and require very little in the way of maintenance and sharpening for light simple use around the camp it looks good. I use a longer knife as a draw knife. this is way to short for that.