Lack Of Food In Problem Times.

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by JMS, Jun 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. JMS

JMS Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    When I was living in Egypt they had an uprising. There were tanks and guns on the streets. Protests and a number of deaths. The police had stopped working because they didn't like the president and everyone was running amok.

Food supplies couldn't get through to the other cities out of Cairo. Water couldn't be delivered from the Nile. I lived by the coast and suddenly there was nothing to eat. There was no food in the shops at all. Even the banks were closed up and if we had money we couldn't get access to it.

I scoured the bakeries and managed to find some flour and was able to make bread but it made me think about preparing for future similar events.

Now, when I go shopping I buy a couple of extra items. I buy long life packet food and tinned food that I don't normally eat. If there is a problem like that again, I should have some food to at least keep myself in the life for a while.

Tina Thompson and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nothing beats experience JMS, you are ahead of the game. Been there, done that. Did a big shopping myself today, keeping our stock up to date. Winter here now, but we are still eating out of our garden.
    Keith.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I also think that when there is a civil war or the situation is volatile, the first thing that vanishes is food. That's why we have a food cabinet with ample supply of food items particularly canned goods, pasta, rice and other food items that are not perishable. Even in calamities like the big flood in 2009, stores were closed and there were no sellers in the market. Some people went hungry and some even stole whatever they can get from abandoned houses. Such is the state of affairs when things are not normal due to war or calamities. And if you don't have an emergency food supply then you should know how to obtain food in your place in order to survive.

4. JMS

JMS Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    And Boy! Was it an experience too. It really made me think about preparing for this kind of eventuality. My cupboard is getting fuller every week. I think I have about one month worth of food that the dogs and I could fall back on if needed. Over a time I will get more. I have also been collecting things for my medical kit and getting that sorted. Medical supplies are a problem to get hold of too. Collecting these items slowly over time means that come the day I may be a little prepped at least.

PCH and Keith H. like this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    buying stuff you don't normally eat is a false economy, it usually gets left at the back of the cupboard uneaten.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. JMS

JMS Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    At the moment stuff does get left in the back of the cupboard uneaten. I don't normally eat out of tins and packets. These items have a very long shelf life though so I think they are ideal for emergencies. If in a time of crisis we were needing food, it could be at least about two weeks before we manage to get supplies. I've bought tinned fruit and tinned meat and fish, some tinned veg and a variety of dried beans and lentils. I thought that if a shortage of fluids was available then the juice in the tinned fruit would at least give something wet. The food I normally buy is fresh so I could only keep it preserved in a freezer. Which wouldn't work if there was no electricity?

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    stuff in the freezer will keep for awhile even without electricity as long as you don't keep opening the lid.
    some tinned and dried stuff is necessary if you cant get out of the house or if the store is empty, which it will be after a couple of days without deliveries.
    whats even more important is how are you going to COOK it without electricity?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    JMS likes this.
  8. JMS

JMS Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    That point has come to mind already. I have thought about how would I cook the lentils and rice. Even if I had water or juice of some kind to cook it with I would still have to make a fire. The important thing I've remembered is a can opener! Most of the food that I've bought in cans can be eaten cold. I don't think canned food contains a lot of vitamins if any. I am kind of hoping that there would be at least a trace of vitamins in the tinned fruit and vegetables. I seem to be stocking up on nuts too, but then I do eat a lot of them. I also keep a check on the use by date. Although food doesn't actually go off on the date on the bottom of the can, it can still be used. I don't mind a few pineapple chunks with a bit of condensed milk every now and again!

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I stock up on canned meat, fish and veg especially beans, canned food has a fairly long life-even after the date on the can its still edible unless the can is split or blown. we generally eat fresh food too, living in the countryside its readily available from local suppliers but some stored food is necessary should an emergency occur, we were once snowed in for 4 weeks and couldn't get any more supplies so we lived on what we had stocked.

10. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can dry most food types, even brassicas.
    Keith.

11. JMS

JMS Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Drying foods is a great idea, but you would need lots of water or some kind of juice to cook it in. I have lots of tins of vegetables as well which are mostly in lightly salted water. The salt will preserve them and I can use the water to reconstitute (is that the right word?:confused:) the dried food. I have some beans and lentils which I didn't think was such a great idea to get afterwards. Mainly because the beans need soaking before cooking. They take up too much fluid. Lentils, on the other hand, can be cooked with tinned tomatoes and the juice from the tinned veg.

It means looking at every single thing you have and trying to find uses for it. We have to take it a bit like 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here' scenario.

12. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I have had those days. I remember eating corn and the salt most of the time. I also remember eating boiled green peas and some salt. And that's all. So some of such days happen. I just make sure that I am not eating something random. I have tried most of the raw fruits and vegetables in such case. Carrots, peas and corn usually works out.

13. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    For being in the city, that's a good idea to stock up on canned foods that last a while. Beef jerky, nuts, things that have protein in them are a good idea too. If you find yourself in the wild with no food, there's plants and things that you can eat, if you know what they are. I'm providing a link that will help anyone to get started, here it is: How To Find Wild Edible Plants (with pictures) 15 steps...www.wikihow.com>Home>Categories>Home and Garden>Sustainable Living.