Lighting After The Fall.

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools and Weapons' started by Keith H., Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My family & I lived an 18th century lifestyle for over 20 years, in that time we tried & used various methods of primitive lighting. Here are some of the lighting methods & tools we used.
    1) Grease Lamp. These are rather smoky but easy to make & use. The fuel is tallow rendered from animal fat with a wicking of cordage or rolled cloth.
    2) Rushlights. These too can be relatively easy to make, although we used two period style holders. For fuel they use a dried reed stem soaked in tallow.
    3) Dipped Beeswax & Tallow Candles. You can either mix tallow with beeswax, or you can make the candles with either the beeswax or the tallow. Tallow candles smoke more than the beeswax, & they tend to burn faster. The finer the wicking, the less smoke & the longer the candle will last.
    4) Lighting The Wicking. This can be done using flint, steel & tinderbox, or by using a Tinderlighter if you have one. Some tinderlighters have a candle holder attached, as do some tinderboxes. This allows you to light the candle & carry it from the room if you wish. If the candle is extinguished, it is then an easy matter to re-light it.
    Keith.

nOY6TV5K2HxGum85cH7JDhWtWeDX2QXm.jpeg nOY6TV5K2HxGum85cH7JDhWtWeDX2QXm.jpeg nOY6TV5K2HxGum85cH7JDhWtWeDX2QXm.jpeg nOY6TV5K2HxGum85cH7JDhWtWeDX2QXm.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  2. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    try this, from youtube

3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    an interesting video . I would like to here from other members thoughts on this . If this video is for real everyone could have free lighting .

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess the only way we are going to find out mate is if one of us tries it.
    Keith.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    That there is pure bull.

TMT Tactical likes this.