Living Alone In The Wilderness. Video. True Story.

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Keith H., Jun 10, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not living alone.

I like having a wife and women friends. I hate "cheerleader syndrome". My wife has always been pretty, but certainly not soft, certainly not stupid. If you can't respect someone, why keep them around? Slavery is illegal and it makes God mad. A female friend of mine is a senior Army officer. All the women in my life have been strong. Why would a man be intimidated by such? I don't get that. I like kids if they are disciplined and of my own blood. I've been an alpha-male-image for women's boys, especially when their absent fathers were unworthy / non-respectable. Being a grandfather is easier than being a dad. I like to teach kids life skills and work skills -- this must be a genetic behavior, for otherwise I'd not get within a 100 ft of a pack of screaming stinky kids.

I like people who are respectable. I like people who are smart. A person smarter than me is someone from whom I can learn. When I make a male friend, I seek out someone who knows stuff that I do not know. I hate people who are full of themselves. How can you learn if you believe you have already reached the mountaintop?! If possible, I'll be learning the very last day I draw breath. There are universes out there. I am not sufficient unto myself.

Does a man or woman need betake himself/herself into the wilderness? The very Christ did. He returned to live-out his Mission, of course. I know of no Prophet who did not head out into the wilderness in solitude, none who did not return. Virtuous Ruth, great-grandmother of David, betook herself to the fields of Boaz. We hear the voices of our ancestors only when we have quieted ourselves. The Prophets hear / become The Word of God. We as mere humans return to our duties in this dirty world.

Oh what a beauteous bounty, death -- the final freedom, the release.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Radar likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    living alone in the wilderness would be my kind of thing, away from other people-their petty squabbles and their interference, their noise and their litter.

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Alone in the wilderness no matter how serene should only be a temporary thing and never a permanent thing!

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    why? if it suits the person it can be as long as they like, permanent if they wish, its nobody else's business but their's.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the event of a total societal breakdown, you will need to go someplace at least a hundred miles from any city and it needs to be BIG as in hundreds and hundreds of square miles. The woods down the road from any sized city are going to be filled with want to be Daniel Boones.

There are places like this in Canada and in the Pacific North West but There just aren't many places that have the kind of forests that you can make a living in that doesn't already have a local population. Russia has a lot of places that are as big as Great Brittian that are just about totally uninhabited. There are very few places like this in the US and probably none in the British Isles.

I live in the Sam Houston National Forest area. That is a little over 160,000 acres of forest. Even in that, you can hardly find a place that has no sign of people. To me, it is a resource but there is NO way that I want to be in it with a bunch of frightened refugees. I used to actually live backed up into the National Forest and wouldn't go into them the first two weeks of deer season. Too many idiots think that you have to open deer season hungover from the camp party the night before. For me, booze and guns don't mix at ALL.

I don't think that you will be able to be totally left alone and out there all by yourself you will be pretty easy pickings for hungry refugees that are finding the woods to be a lot less welcoming than it looks on the TV shows. Even if you don't like people you need someone to have your back. Without that you will eventually get hurt, get sick or get ambushed and that for one person alone is a possibly lethal problem.

If you are going to try and go it alone you need to go WAY back and into a possibly inhospitable place. Then you don't want to make very much of a mark on your surroundings. You will want a group of people to almost walk through your hideout without them noticing anything much to make them hang around and look for you. No day time fires and only small sheltered fires at night so you don't give yourself away. If you plant a garden and build a nice log cabin home those things will make you a potential victim of anyone that is hungry, homeless and without honor. At first, there will be a lot of those and they will be out on the fringes because the more organized places are not going to put up with thieves and lazy bums.

If you can make it for a few years things will get better and the people thin out and the population finds a new level. The scoundrels that you need to fear in the early periods won't last long without the cops and judicial system there to protect them. There is a reason why Billy the Kid was called that. It was because like most of his kind he didn't last very long and became dead before he grew up into a man. When everyone works HARD to put food on the table and a roof over their heads they take it real personal when someone steals from them.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The Eskimo live in small villages, generally less than a thousand. They have greater than average wilderness skills, though not what their grandparents had. The land will support only 1/3 of them. In other words, if the supply system crashes 2/3 of them will starve in the first year or so. If that population can't live off the land how realistic is it...

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends where you live I think, in Britain we don't have the pioneering history you do in the US, even in WW2 it was mostly only the kids(and a few mothers) who were evacuated and then it wasn't for long, just a few months at most, so this talk of "refugees" is only that-talk, most people in the UK will sit and wait for someone-the government or non government agencies- to come and save them, its NEVER their job its always someone else's, + we have an obesity crisis in this country, so how far can they WADDLE out of a big city? not far if anywhere at all.
    this is a country where the average person dosen't walk more than 200ft from their car, and a lot don't even walk that far.
    oh they will sit and moan but that's about all they will do, and they probably wont even realise its that bad until the supermarkets are empty and the lights go off, but by then it will be too late to do anything anyway.
    like I said it depends where you live, circumstances will be different in different countries.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My family group live close to each other and work as a team . I have had people visit and were quite surprised to find the ethics and living style we embrace . As a small group I suppose that doesn't qualify as living alone . I would have no problem if we were the only people on the planet as I am not depending on society to rebuild any social order or system to resurface . In practicality however I don't expect all of my neighbors to perish even if the apocalypse lasted for many years simply because this area is an area of high ethics and many preppers . Few have prepped to the level I and my group has but still would expect a moderate amount of survivors .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    given the modern lifestyle in Britain these days and the utter dependency , not to say addiction, on modern technology and the lack of knowledge of anything to do with nature or agriculture, I am not relying on anyone else surviving, survival in Britain post collapse will be a personal thing, if anyone wants to survive they had better think about doing something about it now and learning some skills and knowledge to say nothing of stockpiling supplies and not waiting until something actually happens-which is what most will do.
    the survival rate in Britain will not be high in a post collapse world and if people cant do it for themselves then they wont be around for long, self sufficiency "is what those hippies do" and self reliance is an unknown term.
    living alone has never been a problem for me, I have spent many years alone, but for many it will not be possible as they don't seem to be able to function unless in a group, it seems that "most" humans have some sort of herding instinct which has been inbuilt over time, and as most people in the UK now live in cities this only goes to reinforce this feeling, obviously this does not help them survive alone in a crisis, if they cannot survive alone how can they survive long enough to even find a group never mind join it? the result of any SHTF event will probably result in a population crash of some sort.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Did some research and Great Brittian, Australia, Canada, and the US all have about the same percentage of their population living in urban settings. All are between 80% and 85%. The US has had a steady movement towards urban life while the United Kingdom took a steep jump starting in 2000 to 2001.

Interesting statistics...

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.URB.TOTL.IN.ZS

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the movement towards cities started in Britain over 200 years ago with the start of the Industrial Revolution, many people left the countryside to find work in the cities and it has continued ever since.
    many young people leave places like Devon and Cornwall to find jobs in the bigger cities as the westcountry has for many years been a place of low wage but high living costs, many never return, those that do stay have to commute daily to find better paid work as a lot of the local work is minimum wage and part time only.

TMT Tactical likes this.