Living in a tent

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by FuZyOn, May 30, 2016.

Living in a tent 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I love living outdoors in a tent, it's a surreal feeling and that's why I bought a really big one. I wanted to ask you guys that leave in tents: what do you carry around everyday? My tent is stocked up in terms of food, water and books to read at any time. I also have spare clothes and blankets in case of a cold night.
    I'm not really sure how to prepare better.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Do you mean that you move around from place to place living in a tent, & you want to know what we carry with us under the same circumstances?
    Keith.

3. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Well, I wouldn't want to live in a tent. I don't like the hobo lifestyle and wouldn't do it unless I had to. But, I do enjoy camping. Like, Keith... I don't really understand your question either.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We go on an overnight camp out at least once a year. But the site is a mountain resort that is fenced and with electricity and bathroom. In fact, it has a small swimming pool. You may say that it's a picnic and I'd say yes and no. It is a picnic in terms of risks because we feel safe in that resort. But with food and everything. we do it the hard way. Most of our dishes were roasted like pork or chicken. There is a long barbecue pit where we can also cook soup dishes over charcoal. The big challenge is at night time. There was one time when it rained while we were asleep. To think that inside the tent with me and my husband were our 2 dogs. The ground got wet so we had to sit up and size up the situation. My husband was able to get a long plastic sheet that we used as matting over the ground. But in fairness to the rain, the night was cool.

With the logistics, we have a lot since it is a picnic. Water and soda, chips, nuts and other snack foods. That's aside from the food for meals that we keep in the cooler. Sometimes we bring steak that is quite easy to broil. What's difficult is the garnishing. No mashed potatoes or fries, just sliced cucumber and mayonnaise will do. So that's how it goes for our camp out trips.

5. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    You only need something to discourage dangerous animals to get near to your tent. Like bear proof camping, although attacks by bears are rare. But visits by curious or hungry animals to campsites are quite common, you would need to do some proper food storage in order to deter them from lingering. Storing food inside a tent probably is not
    a good idea without putting it into a container beforehand .

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Tent days over 18ft camper home anywhere

Captain likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    But what about Drop Bears?!!!
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

Rkv likes this.
  8. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I am the complete opposite. I do not like camping or living in tents. I was in training at Brave Defender for my AF unit and we had to live in tents for 2 weeks. I literally felt like I was on the show Survival lol. I complained nonstop!

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would like FuzyOn to answer my question so we can get this post back to where it was supposed to be going, but meanwhile I must say that I do not recall having any problems living outdoors under canvas.
    Keith.

10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    What did you find were the main problems for you Lakeisha?
    Keith.

11. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't mind sleeping in a tent as long as I am not the only one in it. Otherwise I would prefer staying a little safer. I also am really scared of bugs, so I would need someone that would be able and willing to kill the bugs. But if it was necessary I could live in a tent.

12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I genuinely feel sorry for you glreese, if you ever have to go bush to survive. you are going to have a hard time of it :(
    Keith.

13. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I love staying in tents as long as the weather is good. I'm not bothered about getting dirty and living out of plastic bags. I love being in the countryside and making do with just basic equipment. We don't have dangerous animals here though so it's not like we have that to worry about. If your question is about equipment then we just make sure we have a gas stove and gas bottles, basic cooking and eating utensils and a kettle. Warm clothes and sunscreen and a first aid kit too and books or instrumetns for entertainment. Mainly I make sure I've got enough cider because if I'm camping I like to get merry and sit around a campfire or explore.

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    During my nursing days, we had to go deep in the boonies to get to the locals that have little to no access to medicine. We had to sleep in tents, sleeping bags, and "staff houses" that were just a glorified name for an abandoned building. It was fun to be honest, having zero technology and even electricity through the night, surviving by making fires and helping the locals as well with their problems. It really taught me a lot, and since it was a whole month of camping out in the mountains, during the last leg of each trip it definitely gets antsy because of our longing to go home to a bed. But it was definitely worth it.

15. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    You say you live in a tent, how do you get on the net? I would rather try and build a house of some sort. I've seen people who live in the mountains of Jamaica and they build homes which I think are off the grid. Living in a tent is a start in a survival situation, but I would want something more solid after a while. I think building a shelter might be a smart thing to do after a while.

16. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    You know I never thought about having a tent anymore. I use to when my girls were small. We would camp out in the back of our home for fun. They really enjoyed it and I liked now being bothered by the bugs. I will definitely consider getting one. You never know when an event will occur and we can't be in our homes.

17. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think you are prepared. I also love to live in a tent,and I try to camp out in a tent as much as I can, although I don't do it often.Maybe you should accquire some additional items for extra benefits. For example,you could build a sink in order to wash hands with the water you own. Also,if you connect rope between 2 trees you can lay your clothes there for them to dry out.

18. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    living in a tent would be a lot different than just having a vacation in one, for long term living i'd want something better, maybe a real Tipi or a Yurt.

19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Nowadays tents are beefier and better in terms of structure and materials, I recommend buying a big one that is also easy to assemble, it's not only fun to use when you're camping but it's also really good for survival purposes, I've had a big one that's made for soldiers and it's really solid.

20. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    How were you able to get the army tent? Is it expensive? I would love to have one of those. Anything that is strong enough to keep out bugs or if it rains heavy to prevent damage.

21. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Are there any inexpensive/compact snap tents that make themselves? I could keep a tent if it was small enough and I found a good enough location, I am so down to camp a beach out for a couple of weeks and work on wifi in the meantime somewhere nearby...

22. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Tent over tarp anyday tent come with all you need in a bag has windows doors floor much more comfy when set up used right

23. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I paid $400 for a 10x10 used tent here in Romania, you could probably find it cheaper depending on where you live. That being said, don't be put off by the price of the tent, if you have the money and you think you will use it a lot it's a good purchase.

24. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Think 10 bucks for tent that big great deal reseal it good so its waterproof you live good in it

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    tents are okay for short term, but for long term you need something more substancial.

26. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Ive spent many comfy hours in a tent those troop tents the brits had in the 70s were amazeing. Allways wanted to steal one lol. Ours were ok if you got near the heater in the cold chris has one he got out of the guard somehow use it in Daytona for bike week

27. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Misread the tent price 400 forr canvas fair

28. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    After learning how easy it is to build temporary shelter out of natural materials that can outclass a tent, I can't imagine wanting a tent. Damn, I just want to bring some windows with me. Instead of packing a tent, I'll pack plexiglass windows. That should about do it. Trash bags too, actually. Trash bags and plexiglass windows. :)

29. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This morning I really thought about going off grid and living in a tent. I am so sick of paying rent and things like that. I could live in a tent and garden if I just bought some land. There are too many dangers and regulations that way though and I would want a job, but I would have to pack it all up each night and that is a hassle.

30. Eric Graham

Eric Graham New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It's always interesting seeing people like this who enjoy living outside. I do as well, I've spent a few nights in a secluded forest and it is very surreal to me as well. The noise, and yet it still feels so quiet, peaceful. I don't even use a tent. It's just a great feeling once in a while to do.

31. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I agree, I choose the camper over the tent any day. But if there was a scenario where I needed to travel light, I would take a tent, and mines would be the awesome 3 second automatic fold open tent because I don't like to worry about setting it up for 10 minutes. I don't see the point in really taking books, it's 2016, you have Ebooks, limit the weight remember.

I actually enjoyed living in my tent because it was comfortable, and it was always like a get away from society.

32. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I've never really been one for sleeping in tents since I have some medical conditions that make it very uncomfortable to sleep on the ground. The few times I've done it, we've had to bring an air mattress. But I'm just wondering, doesn't it get extremely hot in a tent during the summer if you're sleeping in it all the time? If so, have you figured out a way to help with it? That's one of the reasons we've never gone camping during the summer.

33. katjamas

katjamas New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I love tenting with my friends, I just went camping with a tent to the sea side a few days ago and will go to a music festival to sleep in a tent in a few weeks. They only thing I hate is waking up when the sun is already up and the whole tent is heated up, it's just very disgusting to wake up sweaty. But in most case I am somewhere near a body of water, so i can go and cool off.

34. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    For long term living, i would feel more protected and more comfortable in a camper. I would be off of the ground and more protected from the wind and rain. Plus it provides more protection than a tent from animals. I would still have to poop in the woods, but don't they call that an adventure?

35. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    My camper has a nice bathroom in it shower sink toilet just like home

36. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I've been to several camping trips and have experienced tent living for days and it was fun, total sense adventure was palpable those times and it was great experience, but i wasn't alone then. It's going to be a hard life but since there aren't that many options, i can live in a tent if i have to. The bugs and wild animals are my main concern, but I'll have to prep myself up for those possibilities.

37. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    At a yard sale for 5 bucks i got a sandford scout tent a simple little pup tent. Well made roomy this little tent i fellin love with for under 40 bucks new it is a great add to a pack imbuying a few more !!!!

38. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Tents are great for short term but the novelty soon wears off!
    Tents are strictly for fair weather
    I spent two years mostly in a tent while developing some land.
    Wet windy and cold for 24 days in a single month really makes living hard in a tent!, a saggy soggy flapping tent is no better than standing next to a tree!
    mould gets a hold and cleaning up after is a full time job in itself!

If you are in a permanent location you should immediately start construction of sturdy quarters.
    Solid walls are needed 2 foot thick is the go! mud brick or stone is good! you get thermal mass for temperature moderation, ballistic protection, animal protection,
    storm protection etc etc! crappy outside weather is bearable if you have a decent refuge!

39. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Im sorry the pup tent is a stansport for34.99 at kolhs

40. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    tents are okay for camping, but camping isn't prepping or survivalism, a winter in a tent isn't survivable unless its something like a Yurt with a stove in it.

41. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Now with all the stuff on the net and what i knew and learned watching others ideas and set ups i think i could be very comfy in all kinds of wearther with a tent or tarp i spent two nights in the pup tent in heavy rain to check it out was dry and warm for price of it well made and great quailty

42. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    depend on ones location and how big the tent is.
    in England especially the far South West the winters tend to be more wet than cold, so we here would need a tent large enough to have a stove inside, getting ones clothes dry would be the deciding point, nothing worse than living in wet clothes, eventually if you cant get dry it will bring you down.
    the other thing is that in some places, because of the underlying soil structure you could be up to your knees in water and mud as soon as you leave the highway.
    any fool can survive in a tent in the summer, but the winters will decide who lives or who dies.

43. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    After watching youtube and being a marine and a old boy scout setting up a tent and tarp combo with a packable woodstove a good warm. Dry camp would be easy you allways trench a campsite for water runoff

44. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    When I was in Viet Nam, we used to stay in wooden barracks in the rear areas. In the forward perimeters we stayed in sandbag bunkers. Sometimes we lived out of tents in some of the forward perimeters. I once lived with another guy in a tent for over 3 months and learned to like it. Later on, when I got assigned to the Recon Platoon, we slept on the ground without anything over us at all. On recon missions a tent would have been a luxury item. But the thing is about a recon mission you have to travel light and stay hidden as best as you can, so no tent to give away your position.

45. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    we used poncho and poncho liner but who slept ? rest and relax yes sleep no