Lockpicking. Useful or not?

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Correy, Jun 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    I was reading this article: http://besurvival.com/guides/urban-survival-shtf-how-to-pick-a-lock and I was thinking that this is actually quite handy. It takes some real skill and practice to actually be able to open locks on the fly, but then again if all hell breaks loose then chances are most doors won't be open for our convenience.

Now, I do not condone burglary and I understand that this isn't Fallout 4 or Skyrim , so opening locked doors might get one into more trouble that they can handle...something about curious cats and all.

How about you? If you had the time for it, would you take the time to learn it?

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I've been a survivor for a few years now and I never needed lockpicking, although this is a "skill" that I would much rather have and not use than vice versa, it's not even that hard to get the basics down. A survivalist needs to have a wide variety of skills, ranging from hunting to fishing to shelther building all the way down to lockpicking and outdoor reflexes. I would definitely take the time to learn it.

MKprepper likes this.
  3. franky

franky Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I agree with @FuZyOn that a survivor should have a wide variety of skills and lock picking is definitely one of them, inf cat it is one of the skills that is actually quite often associated with survivors. Lock picking modern and advanced locks is a pretty hard skill to learn, but most doors you will find in the wild and while surviving are going to have quite old and easy-to-break locks. It is not an easy skill to acquire, but with some practice it can be achieved in short time. And yes, I also do not support burglary, but sometimes your life can depend on it or you could just need a place to spend a night at and don't actually steal anything.

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    In reality picking locks takes time unlike in the movies
    I have two lock picking sets one is a bunch of fiddly little bits!
    The other is a 12lb hammer

The hammer is sooo much quicker.

GS AutoTech, MKprepper and John Snort like this.
  5. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I too would prefer brute force when forcing doors open in a survival situation. It could be either that or you spend too much trying to pick a lock and probably fail. Nonetheless it's something worth learning. If you don't have the tools to break down a door then you'll need other ways to get doors open.

I did try learning how to make emergency duplicate keys using a tin can but failed miserably. It's something I ought to try again.

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Lock picking is a skill padlocks use bolt cutters to cut them off. Key locks drill tumblers out quick in and out most doors can be popped open with a crow bar

7. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I have learned this skill for non-criminal emergency purposes. I am very prone to locking myself out of the house or my significant other has locked the deadbolt on me a few times when I have forgotten my keys and then fallen asleep. I will tell you that some deadbolts are way easier to pick than others, but most can be done with two bobby pins. There are tons of youtube videos that show how to do it, but it takes real practice to actually get the hang of it. There is another way to unlock a door that automatically locks when you shut it and can only be unlocked by turning the knob on the other side of the door. Here's a link to the instructions on how to do it: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-open-a-locked-door-the-Macgyver-way/. It's a pretty cool method that I would have never thought of myself. I tried it. It was tricky, but not terribly hard. It did work though!

8. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Not at all. It doesn't make sense learning something when you can't use it.I mean, I can only see it being used to practice if for some chance I get stuck in a place, or I need to break into my own house.Besides, it's not something that captures my attention, and I don't see myself using it for anything.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    more of an urban skill, out here in the countryside most locks will be of the chain and padlock variety and a pair of boltcutters will suffice for that.

10. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    I think it's always good to learn new skills. In this case though learning which tools can bypass strong locks will be more useful in reality. In most serious survival situations damaging the lock won't be a problem.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't encourage any lock picking in a normal rule of law every day life, if your going to learn it as a business as say a locksmith then that's different.
    post apocalypse its not going to matter much if you damage the lock or smash the door down.

12. MKprepper

MKprepper Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    Crobar

lonewolf likes this.
  13. Aleksi

Aleksi New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    To me, lock picking is extremely useful. However, out in the wild lock picking is kind of useless. I think lockpicking is something that everybody in there life should learn to do. This article is kind of small, I apologize.

14. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    It is worth learning. I have been in a situation whereby I locked myself outside with only a casual dressing I couldn't walk around with. And the worst part is all my keys are inside, my phone also inside. I even heard my phone ringing a couple of times. I spent more than three hours outside. At last it was a neighbor that got my door open. Now about lock picking and learning about it, there are tons of lock picks for sale on Amazon, one can learn single-handedly with the help of tutorial videos from youtube. Note, check your countries regulations, some places forbid such and may earn you some fines or jail term if care is not taken.

15. greymanila

greymanila Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I have two sets of lock picks. One with a lot of tiny tools, and the other is a heavy crowbar. I keep the crowbar near our fire exit(which has a padlock), just in case I can't seem to use the key.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    lockpicking is okay if you expect to be in an urban environment post SHTF, in the countryside a decent boltcropper is best.

17. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    May be, is a skill more of thieves and raiders but can be useful in certain circumstances, those who learn to survive must develop many skills and that is rarely used, but just in case is better to learn than suffer for that later even if is very hard to mastered.

18. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    There were several times that we were locked out of our bedroom usually forgetting the key. Now, we hide the bedroom key in a safe place in the living room. Knowing how to pick lock would be handy in those cases but lockpicking here is exclusive for the criminals. And even if you use your skill for the benefit of people - like those forgetful couple who is locked our of their home - you may be suspected of being connected to criminals.

19. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a pick set & a good understanding of common locks. I've had success with quite a few locks. It does take time, it's no walk in the park. It's fun to exercise your dexterity.
    Any skill you can learn is good as long as your using it for good.
    Sledge hammer or bolt cutters are much faster.

20. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about some of you folks. A hammer..crowbar are indeed fast.

The problem even out in non urban areas...is if you ever want to get through a barrier and not leave any tracks...or marks that you have been there...or your group if you are with said group.

Same in an urban environment.

The poster who stated they had locked themselves out of their house and other areas...it is the same here.
    It has been a long long time since I've had to pay a locksmith.

I can pick the lock on my truck ,my garage , my house and also many locks at work.

I not only have several factory lock pick sets..I have also taught myself to make my own shims for certain locks.
    I can also manufacture lock picks of my own...the tension levers as well.

I have been able to so do for many many years now and have a set right now in my back pocket and carried them around town all day today.

You folks decide for yourself...how you want to get through certain barriers.

I do not recommend you want to make a lot of noise.

I also do not recommend you try to shoot a padlock off a chain. Really really stupid.

My .02,
    Watcherchris

21. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bolt cutters and crowbar are great but a set of lock picks and tension tools fits in your pocket and doesn't make noise or tear things up.

It makes a fun hobby and is extremely useful for a lot of things. I REALLLLY don't want to take a crowbar or sledge hammer to a car, door or much of anything if I can do it quieter and easier another way. I did a lot of repair work in rental properties. Renters are always changing the locks and then when they have a problem the landlord can't let me in. It is nice to be able to left myself in.

I've also had to pop open a bunch of freezers for people over the years and a bunch of file cabinets. My repair business and associates did it ALL literally. As far as I'm concerned the more things that you know the better off you are. Lock picking though is one of the most useful.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  22. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I reccomend that you take the time to learn this skill it's actually a lot of fun just like doing puzzles but carrying a set of lock picks without a legitimate reason is illegal in the UK.
    You can legally buy and own the lock pick sets along with practice locks that increase in difficulty.

23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lordy!! What isn't illegal in the UK???

24. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lock-picking is a very tedious skill to learn for a narrow niche of useful scenarios.

Gotta have a good kit with a set of efficient and special rakes. Some guys are good with bump keys and some guys are going to get frustrated, go 10th degree angry, and just bust in the door anyway. I've watched a patient lock smith give up on what a layperson would call a simple lock. Had a coworker, electronics guy, who never took more than 10 seconds to open any cabinet with a home-made kit. Me, I'm not a patient man. Built a kit & never learned, so to #### with it.

Using a shotgun slug:

http://rebrn.com/re/how-to-breach-a-door-with-a-shotgun-3176086/

Other toys:

25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Most of my customers liked that I opened their freezers, file cabinets... without damaging it though I must admit that your way would have been a lot more fun. Is is indeed a skill that is seldom called for and in many cases is more trouble than it is worth but in general I never turn away from at least familiarizing myself with most skills. I like to whittle. Many of my projects are tiny and tedious. I like things that make me focus tightly and have a lot of patience. I do a lot of chip carving and that is a rather tedious repetitive geometric sort of thing. So I guess I just like tedious things.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=chip+carving&qpvt=chip+carving&FORM=IGRE

26. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yeah...Tex...I too tend to like trying certain tedious things.

I worked on my Morse Code skills last night using my SSB short wave set on the 75 meter band.

I'm getting better with time but some of those folks can work and operate at what I call ....Warp Speed in morse code. Way to fast for me to even keep up.

But I am working on it .

Yes...lockpicking is and can be tedious...indeed!! But it is good to know you can work your way around certain situations.

Another tedium for which I tried to learn was putting a ship in a bottle. I was curious as to whether I could do it.

I've done about 15 of them since. I am keeping two special Olde Forester Bottles for times down the road when I need to try some more tedium.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris.

27. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This response is for the satiation of intellectual curiosity alone. Do not try this at home ... and especially not at someone else's home. Could result in lead poisoning.

How to make a bump key:

Door deadbolt locks by Schlage "Primus" and Medeco theoretically can't be bumped.
    Article on lock bumping:

In the following article, the author mentions using steel pipes dropped into holes in the floor as real deadbolts to door busters:
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/09/daniel-zimmerman/5-tips-preparing-defense-home-invasion/
    "As a super economical alternative, drill 1-inch holes in the floor at the foot of both sides of the door and place pieces of steel pipe in them to secure the door at night. While not exactly esthetic [sic] pleasing, the pipes can be easily removed and the holes covered by an entry mat."

Here's some really good advice on protecting windows:
    https://reolink.com/top-7-easy-diy-ways-to-secure-your-home-windows/

Here is an ad for security screens. They look like regular screens for windows and doors, yet they are way past tough, have greater rust prevention, and can't simply be cut.
    https://shadeandshutter.com/security-screens/

If they get past your locks, your electronics, your dog(s), your psychotic wife, then just shoot them.

Keep your kids' rooms adjacent to yours. Defend your safe area. Don't venture into the burglar's area unless you need to do so. For instance, you may not be able to call the police or you know that they WILL be coming for you or yours. No one wants to stand by and have some invaders begin loading everything you own into a house-moving truck -- and this happened to some in-laws of mine, but no one was home (neighbors called police, who arrived hours later).

28. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I have some knowledge & skill in working locks. Understanding the mechanics of the lock mechanisms is useful & can translate into the understanding of other machines.
    Just yesterday I picked the lock on my shed door cause I could not locate the key. It was faster to work the lock than find the key, as I needed entry to the shed in short order.

29. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yup...GS Auto Tech,

I've done similar with my garage and also my truck.
    Also at times used a gadget you slide down the windows and grab the lock linkage and open the door..I think it is called a slim Jim. But mostly have and use my lock pick set.
    I also have a couple of those small thin air bags...you inflate in the windows/doors and then reach the buttons.
    Still....mostly I use the pick set.

I can indeed be faster than going back inside to retrieve the keys.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris