Lone Survival.

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by lonewolf, Jun 11, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Depending on the actual event, but given a serious calamity, that wipes out a large majority of the population, have you ever considered what it would take YOU to survive alone?
    its always possible that some of us could find ourselves alone, maybe in the middle of the countryside or even in a devastated city, its not beyond the realms of possibility, through not so much bad planning but just a case of sheer dumb luck.
    even if you do eventually find others to link up with, you may find yourself alone for several weeks, several months maybe, maybe you never find any other survivors and spend the rest of your days alone.
    what would you do? where would you go?

2. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    Hmmm, I guess I would be like Omega Man with Charleton Heston. In my mind anyway. I would not give up on myself or on finding others. If one survived others can. The depending on the calamity. I might attempt to get home or find others I had know. Etc. giving up isn't in me.

3. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most people seem to just ignore this possibility, as in "it'll never happen", but it has happened before, throughout human history civilisations have collapsed and populations have been decimated, from the stone age to the ancient roman empire, to the British "dark ages" and beyond. a few always survive to begin again, or else we wouldn't be here, but the numbers will be small to start with, and people who survive will be isolated and scattered all over the place.

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    chances are, some of us would find ourselves all alone, eventually I believe a "tribal" set up will arise, maybe some form of community will adapt, but it wont be for a long time, in the meantime we will all have to manage on our own and be as self reliant as possible.
    what do others think of this? or is it that most people have never even considered the possibility, it has never even occurred to them that they might have to be self sufficient all on their ownsome??
    OR is it just me??

5. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I guess I could survive alone but deym i will be half crazy then. I'll be like Tom Hanks on his movie Cast Away. Talking to a ball, worst he can hear Wilson talk back hahaha.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    over the years I have heard all the sayings, "no man is an island" and "we are social animals", but the original tribes which arose after the last ice age weren't groups of strangers, they were extended families, and I contend that most groups post catastrophe will again be extended families, post collapse is NOT the time to start trusting complete strangers whos actions you cannot be sure of.
    now if something happened, maybe the group was separated at the time of the event or there was a virulent pandemic then some people are going to be left on their own, not only are those people going to need to have the skills and knowledge to survive they also need the mental capability to be able to survive on their own, maybe for weeks, maybe for months, maybe for years, maybe FOREVER if the mortality rate is as huge as we think it will be.
    but I don't think many people have given this a passing thought, if at all, many people seem to think everyone that is alive today will be alive post event, but this is going to be far from the case and anyway planning for something different may be a wise precaution, being prepared for things to be not "normal" is what prepping and survivalism is all about. adapting and being self reliant, not relying on outside sources may be the only way any of us will survive.

7. I.survive

I.survive Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Good topic
    Often been alone in the forest and other activities. And it’s blissful. But this is just trips I have took and as much as I enjoyed ME Time it’s always good to return to company. If we are talk post apocalypse then having companionship within a group or just being part of a group would be top priority for the elderly and sick or alike. Being alone in present day is hard enough. Being alone in a post shtf situation would be hard and diminish survival imo especially if I was unfit and not able to take on the harsh reality of life by my own hands!

Protecting what is mine
    Living of the land
    Chopping wood
    Home repairs
    Illness

A short list of many things I would have to do if alone. If my decision was to be alone I would have to factor my capabilities into surviving through to thriving. It’s not impossible but being aware of ailments to my success would be key

8. Woodsbum

Woodsbum Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Some can live alone, some can't.
    I cherish the time I get to cruise the woods alone. But I wouldn't trade the time I spend with the wife teaching her to track. She's becoming quite the shooter too.
    Surviving is part knowledge and part skill. Having a good partner would certainly give one a leg up in any situation.

kevy39 likes this.
  9. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Not feasible,not an intelligent decision,why? Are some of the things I would be saying to myself if I was faced with the Option. Why would anyone overlook the necessity of having friends,allies,company and be alone. How is this preparation. It’s setting there self up for a hard struggle and almost certain failure.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    some people might not have the option, depending on the event and the die off.
    if someone dosent have the skills and knowledge to live alone then without others they will perish.

11. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

Oh yes! Without skills and knowledge the percentage of survival are low but not definitive. A strong mind is what’s needed over and above skills and knowledge. Not without the latter but without a strong mind skills and knowledge are redundant!

Someone living alone at present would have to have good motor skills and be some what heathy. After a calamity ie not life as we know it! This would double or triple. So a man or woman with responsible heath and stamina living alone would be hard so say a man or woman who’s stamina and heath has left them through age would be nie impossible

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that you mark? you and your strong mind.

13. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

?? My name is kev!

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sounds like Mark, right country too!!!

15. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Are you in the habit of putting people’s personal details on open threads?? Wrong name and Scotland is a large country my friend. I’m not taking offence because of the name but if you was to put my real name up like you have that mans name I would be. How would you like your name on the open forum?

16. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Pareto Principle....or sometimes called the 80/20 rule.

Think about that before you join with a group...

80% of the people do 20% of the work.

and

20% of the people in any group do 80% of the work.

Would you call that surviving????

Vilfredo Pareto......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

Choose your aloneness very very carefully ...or your company!!

Watcherchris

17. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a fan of going it alone as most of you know. The thing is that if you are going to be a part of group you have to have a solid core group and be able to make hard choices. No work no eat and if you stir crap you will leave or have an accident. In moist cases I would lean towards and accident rather than have some skunk out there looking for a payback. Survival for a while will require some hard and harsh decisions. Those that can work together and share will be assets. Lazy Drama queens will have to go one way or another. America has coddled these worms and it has just about gutted a once great nation. Pulling the weeds won't be easy or pleasant but it is always necessary if you want to thrive.

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i see, one attitude on a pm and another in public? and yes it has been done to me and then some.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the point I am trying to make and most of you are completely missing, is that we could have an event that renders us all loners, a large percentage of the population have gone, perished, died and otherwise not survived, get it.?
    in that case we who do survive will have to survive alone, maybe for several, maybe several months, maybe a year or two, maybe indefinitely.
    if we few cannot survive until we can meet up with other survivors ..then, form a community of some sort, then why bother prepping at all?

20. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

This post was added before I pm you and the attitude was because you seem to think it’s ok to out peoples name. That could have quite easily been my name you mentioned.
    My pm to you was to find out who this mark was. And my attitude was the same on the public forum. Am not sure I like your attitude. Seem like you have targeted my posts mr Lonewolf. I only said what I said because I was warned before I came to site about your attitude. But I believe in giving people a chance. I hope I wasn’t wrong.

21. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

So it’s a scenario you are creating?

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    more of a probability. an inevitability.

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the name quoted was his "user" name, don't know if it was his real name, pretty stupid if it was, it would go to explain a lot tho'.

24. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Well if he’s stupid enough to set out his own name then ok. But I still think you shouldn’t have openly asked me if this was who I was on a public thread. Especially when your a moderator? Makes no difference to me if you mention that mans name or what you say about him. If you have anymore personal requests from me or other members may I suggest a private message. There’s no hard feelings against you sir I can put it behind me lol am sure you understand my point :D

Back to topic ;)

If it’s your decision to go solo survival then more power to you. It’s not mine. I struggle to understand the ethics behind that kind of decision. As a preper and survivalist I have taught myself to see opportunity’s and problems. I can’t see any opportunities in going it alone indefinitely? I may have come across wrong in my earlier posts! Am not against someone doing it.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you miss my point, i'm saying that there might be no other option but to be alone, at least for awhile, the chances of meeting anyone, let alone one we can trust, would be small.
    it dosent matter much to me, i'm used to being on my own and that is how I function best.

26. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess if you live in a place that is already mostly uninhabited or very thinly populated this could happen but even in rural areas a 99% death rate would still leave a lot of people. Even in the rural area where I live the Tiny town that I live just outside of has 500 people. Even if only 5 were left we would have no trouble finding each other and that doesn't count the thousand that live in the hills and dales all around that aren't counted in the 500 figure in a relatively small area. 3.5 million people even in a large country like the US is still a lot of people.

Now if the death rate from say some sort of super virus was 99.99% this would be a different situation. Truthfully though without any other people to threaten me my individual survival would be pretty easy until some accident or small injury got me. 35,000 people in the US would eventually find others but it would be a different thing. I suspect that something like this might be an extinction level event if it was caused by an environmental catastrophe.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i live on the edge of a very small rural town, a mixture of drive to work commuters and elderly retired people, if something happened whilst the commuters were at work, to stop them getting back, say no electric and no fuel, then that would just leave the retired people, which again could affect the survival numbers, many of them have serious health problems. and we have just lost the only 2 local doctors.

28. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    As is so often it is a difference in view. We have a lot of retired people here too but we also have lots of small ranches and at times a thriving timber industry. We are not a bedroom area for commuters. There are a lot of cottage industries here and many are at least partially self employed.

If we are hit by a huge EMP depending on the time of day, day of week and time of year it could be horrific. Imagine the endless suffering if It hit mid day, mid week in the winter. No way to walk home and your kids are stranded in a school with no power.

Who survives will in part be determined by a lot of factors that are hard to control. In Texas we think nothing of working a long way from where we live. At one time I commuted 90 miles each way every day to and from work. My wife worked 45 miles from home for about 15 years. A plan for getting home was a necessity. People that live in the North will be in serious trouble if something happens in the dead of winter.

The death rate in the ant piles will be greatly affected by the time it were to hit.

29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    people have to commute from here if they want to work full time, only part time work around here and not much of that, 50-60-80 miles a day if they want work, even 50 or 60 is a 2 hour round trip on our roads.
    this is a small place and its a blimp on the backside in the middle of nowhere, very few people have ever heard of it let alone visited it.
    no reason for anyone to even think of coming here, where??, nothing left by the time they get here.
    many people could survive here in the summer post SHTF, we have a very mild climate in the South West of England, but the winters are cold and wet, very wet, and without electricity hyperthermia sets in, especially for the elderly and infirm and young children and babies.

30. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think people understand what winters are like in a world with no power, no lights and a total dependence on wood for heat. The space that people used for shelters in the winter was TINY. Most people are not mentally prepared for this sort of thing.

For me it isn't an issue but for millions it will be reality. A 150 square feet 14 square meters with a fireplace and bedding on the floor would be about right for 4 people. That way body heat would keep the wood usage down. Dark, silent and endless days and nights...

31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    for most people it would be the cold winters, but it would also be the dark and the quiet.
    people who have lived their entire lives with heat and light at the flick of a switch just cannot contemplate life without it. and it frightens them.
    and quiet! I think the reason most people make so much noise is they are scared of silence.

32. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Silence is deafening. Most people nowadays have only tiny bit of experience with it and indeed are addicted to all our various noise makers. Unfortunately all of those noise makers are dependent on power. People like noise and always have but our ancestors also were accustomed to silence as in just the quiet natural sounds. When I was a kid the rule for children was that they should be seen but not heard. Now they never shut yo and you can't have a conversation with their presence. Those that survive into that first winter may not survive the deathly quiet.

My Grandmother could sit quietly doing various things like knitting and such for hours. Her mind was at peace and her hands offered all the entertainment that she required. People did all sorts of things to keep their minds alive and engaged. People kept journals, wrote poetry, sang, had all sorts of manual small crafts and hobbies and they talked and told stories. I watched a bunch of college kids today at a restaurant. Every one of them had their cell phones out and were texting away. While my wife and I chatted they seldom spoke a single word to each other.

Take away their cell phones, music makers and video things and they are hollow shells with no ability to deal with the everyday lack of stimulation that they will face. Without it I honestly wonder what forms their insanity will take. Maybe zombies might be real the inner animal can take over and what is there then is not human.

lonewolf likes this.