Long Term Wilderness Living/Survival. The Very Best Way To Learn.

Discussion in 'Community Sharing CSA Ideas' started by Keith H., Jun 9, 2016.

Long Term Wilderness Living/Survival. The Very Best Way To Learn. 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Long Term Wilderness Living/Survival. The Very Best Way To Learn.

Many years ago someone writing in a popular muzzle-loading magazine said that 18th century Living Historians stood a better chance of survival in a TEOTWAWKI situation than anyone else. That was true then, & it is true now. I know there are many people who rubbish this way of thinking, but these people are usually the ones who are not really serious about survival. They don’t really think anything is going to happen, & they just enjoy the idea of being self-reliant. These people go camping using battery torches & propane gas camping stoves & enjoy the feeling of make believe.

But long term wilderness survival is about sustainability, it is about learning & practicing primitive skills, & the very best way of learning these skills is to find & join an 18th century living history group. These groups are family oriented, so all the family can participate in the activities. This means that children can participate with their parents. Learning this way is especially beneficial to children & parents, as they are brought closer together.

Children get to participate not only in primitive skills learning, but also in primitive camping & Historical Trekking . This means that if there were ever a situation arise where the family had to leave home, the children would simply grab their gear just like their parents & leave. No fuss, no complaining. They have done this before & it was fun.

300 years ago people were travelling to the New World looking for a better life away from the cities in England & Europe. Once in the New World they equipped themselves with tools they would need in their new home. They travelled to areas where there was free land & there built themselves a shelter & gardens & grew their own food. There were dangers from wild animals & from the local natives who did not like these strangers settling on their traditional hunting grounds. That is exactly the same sort of situation we will find ourselves in if there is a shtf situation where we have to leave our homes. Some of these settlers did not survive, others did, & we can all learn from this way of living, this primitive lifestyle, this sustainable lifestyle.

I recommend that you don’t knock it until you have tried it. 18th century living history within a group is a lot of fun & very educational. If a shtf situation never happens, you have lost nothing, but you may have made new friends as well as learning new skills.

Keith.

Our group forum details on this video are no longer current. Please contact Keith if you wish to join our official forum. This group has worldwide membership.

bluebetta likes this.
  2. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:

Can I suggest that you write a Survival Guide. I read a lot of your post and the knowledge in them is unlike any I've read elsewhere. Please consider it.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I very much appreciate your suggestion & the fact that you think so highly of my abilities, but survival is like primitive skills when it comes to publications, there is just not enough interest. I have written 3 books, two on primitive fire lighting & one on 18th century living history. The first book on primitive fire lighting I had to publish my self, & I lost money. The second has been published by LuLu http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/my-book-primitive-fire-lighting-ebook.html but through lack of sales this has been reduced to an ebook only. My third book needs editing & formatting & I doubt it will ever get published.
    I also produced a series of DVDs, I could not find a publisher anywhere in Australia, so I used a publisher in the USA. Again, not enough sales & it was costing me money to keep them available. So again I had to stop the sale of these DVDs. I still receive requests for these DVDs, but it is too late, & there are not enough requests to make it worth my while.

So frankly I simply can't be bothered to try getting a survival book published, though in fact I did start writing one some years ago.
    Regards, Keith.

Coputere likes this.
  4. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Understood. I've heard in advertisement for those who wish to become E-book writers, that the profit comes from writing a good number of ebooks. I just think that it is not that hard for someone of your knowledge and capabilities. Especially since the ebooks that sell most are said to be much smaller books of about 10-30 pages each. Maybe if you break your original copies down into a series of ebooks all touching on individual topics, the proceedings could be worth while. I just think that you give so much great information on these forums daily that it might be worth a shot.

Thank You for the link as well. I will be checking out your work shortly.

Keith H. likes this.