Machetes

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by John Snort, Jun 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    While machetes certainly aren't essential survival items since they have lots of uses one should think of buying at least one machete.

In fact a machete can prove to be more useful than a knife because not only can it be used as a cutting tool [clear land, chop wood, cut grass, etc] it can also be lethal weapon which you can use to defend yourself from both people and some animals that might try to attack you.

Thoughts? Should a machete be included in your survival gear?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    a machete is one of my favourite tools and many is the time I have used one to clear a new vegetable garden. I have 3.

John Snort likes this.
  3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    A machete is quite handy. I have several, with longer and shorter blades for different uses. Longer blade machetes are quite well suited to hack wood, shorter ones can be used as a shovel among other things . Machetes are not usually made of the same quality as a sword since they are mainly used for gardening. But they are capable weapons.

4. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    There are many types of machetes out there. It most likely come down to the individual and they favorite style. Weight and handling will be the determining factor I suppose. This picture represents just some of the machetes you can purchase. I think every culture has a version they call their own.

Hr-m6iUtuHm5WorzmJY6qo4snVew-wCI.jpeg

5. barbecueIt

barbecueIt New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    A machete is a necessary tool if you are to survive in a tropical area where there are a lot of plants and trees. It can be used to cut firewood, clear an area to lie down or to simply clear you way as you go inside the jungle or forest. And this can also be used as a weapon.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Huh, I didn't know there were so many types of machetes, I usually just carry a latin one (now I know how it's called) at all times but when I go into deep forests the cane does the trick. Pretty cool!
    To answer John's question: yes, I do think machetes are a core item for your survival kit, you never know when you need it and it's better to carry it for no reason rather than leave it at home and risk needing it. I go into a lot of forests and machetes are highly useful.